Keeping connected at home and abroad

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Cate P, Jul 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Cate P

Cate P New Member

Status Points:
    I just returned from a four-country European trip where I'd hoped to use my Android Nexus and Smartphone for wireless access ( To avoid roaming charges, I suspended phone service.) Instead I was shocked by how hard it was to find reliable internet access, particularly in Italy.

Now and every time I come home from extended travel, I scour the web for the latest developments, hoping the situation will improve in terms of affordable wireless solutions for long-term travelers. I've tried USB plug-ins (WIND in Italy, Moviestar/Claro in Central America) and am now reading about pocket-sized wireless routers at exorbitant daily rates.

In addition, given what a pain it is to disconnect and reconnect home cable (wireless, phone, cable services), I'm ideally looking for something that can be used both here in the U.S. and abroad.

Surely, there's something better out there, or am I dreaming? Please advise.

MX likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ever thought of going unplugged on a trip? It's very liberating, and a nice break from your connection routine. ;)

webdes03 likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I do when travelling overseas currently, but if you really want to get connected and you have a Nexus (unclear if you meant nexus phone, or nexus tablet + other phone) which is presumably unlocked, pick up a prepaid data SIM when travelling.

If you don't have an unlocked phone, consider picking one up.

MX likes this.
  4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP says something about being a "long term traveler" so she may need to keep connected for work and the like. Very easy to just turn things off for those needed unplugged breaks though.

MX likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is why I like to travel far enough so time-zones line up and I can attend to business in the evenings or mornings and unplug during the day.

6. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:

This is my method. Either get an unlocked device, or get your current device unlocked. I use a pay-as-you-go English SIM card from Orange when I'm in the UK/Europe.

7. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is an option that was given by PCMag: http://www.xcomglobal.com/

I am wondering if you can buy an unlocked MiFi router and get sim cards when you get to your destinations.