Keeping AA miles alive with games, surveys, and other online promos

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Aktchi, Apr 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I take it for granted that most readers of this forum do not need to do anything to keep our AA miles alive. We fly enough, we carry credit cards, etc. However, many of us have friends/family who typically come to us and ask what can be done about 11K miles expiring in about 11 days!

I was thinking that in this thread I'd try to keep a current list of ONLINE promos, registrations, games, etc where one could earn a few miles in a few minutes. (In this thread at least, I would like to stay away from activities which involve buying with credit cards, visiting stores, etc.)

Please post what you know and I'll try to keep the first post updated with currently useful info.

2. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reserved.

3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the pretty-fast methods is Rewards Dining:

http://aa.rewardsnetwork.com/

You can register a card, buy a soda to go, and get points within a few weeks.

4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. However, sometimes I am dealing with people who either don't have a cc or just one and it is registered for other programs. Here I want to isolate a few clean solutions that do not require a credit card, etc. Just watch some boring video, or click a few boxes, and you have a few miles. Kind of things I could do for a friend without needing their cc.

5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those come and go - you could see if there's a Bose one currently active, or maybe the Facebook promo is still active.

6. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I realize that! My request was that if people would post or pm me whatever they know to be working now, I'd try to keep that info available in the first post of this thread. (The Facebook promo has expired, I just checked yesterday.)

7. tarheelblue
    Original Member

tarheelblue Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know of any freebies that are out there at the moment, other than making a mileage donation to charity, which is certainly a personally rewarding way to reset the clock on your account.

That said, about the simplest and cheapest way to extend miles (short of finding that elusive bonus promo) is purchasing an iTunes from the Apple iTunes store. You can even do it for your friends, by logging into the Aadvantage Shopping Mall using their login, then paying for the tune out of your own account. You get the music, they get the mile that keeps the account going. (If they want to do it themselves, without a credit card, all they need to do is make one purchase of an iTunes gift card with cash at a local store and load it into their own iTunes account.)

Does this fit your precise needs? No--it costs a buck and it will probably take longer than 11 days to post. But it sure beats waiting around for a totally free promo when you're facing an expiration deadline. And keep in mind that those promo miles are likely to take longer to post than the iTunes miles, anyway.

8. tarheelblue
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here's a faster option for imminent deadlines: Have your friend register with Points.com (which may have a registration bonus, I don't know.) Then they do a swap for one mile to/from another mileage or points account they have that is affiliated with Points.com, i.e. from AA to BestBuy Reward Zone, or US Airways. The exchange rate is pretty bad, but if you're only trying to get one mile, so what if it costs you 5 or 10 miles to keep 11,000 miles active for 18 months? This option is essentially free, and the transaction posts very fast. I believe the last one I did took less than 24 hours.

Points.com is a great argument for holding on to an inactive rewards program account with a low balance. You can swap a few miles out of the orphan and into the desired program and keep both accounts active simultaneously. However, the exchange rates make it a terrible choice for exchanging large quantities of miles/points.

Aktchi and schnitzel like this.
  9. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do the names on two accounts have to match? IOW, can I transfer 1 mile into a friend's AA account by debiting 10 miles from my DL account?

10. tarheelblue
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I believe the accounts would have to match. You have to register each account that you want to access with points.com, and I assume they are looking at the names, but can't tell you for sure. But why would you want to give up your miles for your friend's account? If your intent is to keep your friend's miles alive, let your friend give you all the account info (including passwords) for the AA account and at least one other, then you set up his/her points.com account, and use that to keep everything active.

Now let me guess: Your friend only has an AA account and nothing else, right? You need a new friend! :) No, just do this: Have your friend sign up for an Alaska Air account, which gives an immediate 500 mile bonus. Register the Alaska account with Points.com. Now your friend has an instant orphan program that can be used to keep the AA account active about once every 16 months. And your friend owes both of us dinner! :D (There are other exchange options as well, including a Best Buy Reward Zone account.)

11. voh2ox2

voh2ox2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Opinion Place is still working - its usually only 75 miles, but it keeps the account active.

http://www.opinionplace.com/opplus/study.adp?study=1103750&uid=1594869

12. tarheelblue
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The problem with Opinion Place is that you are at the mercy of the Opinion Place surveymeisters as to when you are invited to participate in a miles-earning survey. (I've been unable to earn any miles with Opinion Place for weeks.) No invite, no miles. According to Aktchi, the clock may be ticking toward an imminent expiration deadline for his friend. He needs something that will allow him to do a miles-earning activity whenever he needs it, not when its offered to him.

13. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not in desperate situation at present :), although I tried to recreate the scenario that I have faced regularly.

Any 1/2 serious AA flyer would know to fly once very 18 months. People who cannot fly AA but are otherwise clued-in, you can tell them about setting up a credit card or dining account or shopping, and they get it.

However, we all know people, even if I seem to be exceptionally blessed with them, who discover their expiring accounts with only a few days to spare. If they had 500 miles I'd tell them to forget it (get a magazine), if 25K+ I t'd tell them to get an award, but some have a talent for having totals like 11K which are neither here nor there. To make it worse, they are often close and sweet friends/family in real life. This is where 5-minute online opportunities have been most useful. Coke, watching a dreadful soccer video, etc...each time I used them I though of starting a thread at FT but never got around to it.

So that's it. I hope we'll maintain a collection of "currently working" tricks that people can use in such situations---and of course to get a few extra miles themselves. If there's very little effort involved, I welcome even 100, which is what I got in the just-expired Mystery Miles promo.

14. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent Thread... Let's keep this one alive for our non-mileage runners friends!!!

15. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
  16. prometheusg
    Original Member

prometheusg Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about the AA toolbar? Use it once a year for three searches and that 1 mile will extend the expiration. Just set up a reminder on Google Calendar (or any scheduling program) and have it send you an email once every year or however often you want.

17. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Problem there is that it is hardly fast. Takes 1-3 months for my search miles to post.

icurhere2 likes this.
  18. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe the spirit of prometheusg's suggestion was that if you do it a few times a year, these posting delays won't matter. FWIW, I don't use it. I fly enough and my Citi/AA card brings a few miles almost everyday.

19. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
  20. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the AA Search Toolbar - my last miles indeed credited on March 10. Not a reliable transaction to maintain an AA mileage balance.

The Microsoft Bing Rewards AA miles (redeem the points from Microsoft Bing searches for AA miles) does seem to reliably credit within a few weeks, as I redeem once per month.