Kayak vs. TripIt

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by schnitzel, May 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a long time user of TripIt, but I've gotten to the point where several issues with it really bother me. They aren't fixed in TripIt Pro, so that's no help.

I'm starting to migrate some trips over to Kayak's mytrips. I'm wondering if anyone here has gone from one to the other and could compare the two.

Here's my initial overview.

Speed - So far, what I dislike about TripIt is the speed, especially when launching the iPhone app (it always wants to update on launch, which is a real pain if you are trying to get a bit of info out of it in a hurry - and if you have data off or your wifi is spotty or whatever). Kayak definitely seems faster in this regard. On Kayak, updates are manual!

Looks - TripIt wins hands-down.

Info - Pretty similar. Kayak doesn't add driving directions, but I'm not sure I use those that much anyway.

Flight Status - Free on Kayak; $49/year on TripIt

Info Processing - Much faster on TripIt, but more flexible on Kayak. If TripIt can't handle an email, they dump it back to you. If Kayak can't, it seems like a person actually reads and parses the data and enters it in. It can take hours, but it's free, and, so far, accurate.

Am I missing any other issues that are important to other users?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time I really tried out Kayak it had issues processing some of my more complicated itineraries in terms of putting hotels and flights in the correct order. My guess is that they've fixed most of that, but I haven't been back to look in a while.

jbcarioca and schnitzel like this.
  3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got a relatively complicated itinerary in there now, and no chronological problems at all.

jbcarioca and Wandering Aramean like this.
  4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you say Kayak is not as fast as TripIt, what timeframe are you talking about? Back in a day when I was choosing a software, TripIt was almost instantaneous while other apps lagged anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. Easy choice for me based on that.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - that's about what I mean. But I mean those times in the processing stage.

Frankly, what's more important to me time-wise is on the phone, data output stage. I don't mind if Kayak takes an hour to parse an email, but I do mind if the app takes 90 seconds to launch, sync, and get me my data.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, on my Android I have no such issues. Start up is under 10 seconds and no automatic update is forced. May be you should add the device you are using in the title.

Miles and schnitzel like this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am trying Kayak for my upcoming trips and will see how it compares to TripIt. Have noticed if itinerary is complicated, it is not added to my trips immediately and takes some time. Looks like they add it manually.

8. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point - it's an iPhone. But I use it on my computer too, and my iPad (where TripIt really looks pretty great).

Another gripe where Kayak wins: I don't have to login each time in a browser. The site remembers me.

cliq and TAHKUCT like this.
  9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    One point to also evaluate is how well each program parses various types of documents. I typically get a PDF forward from corporate travel which I then forward to TripIt. Sometimes its text-only email and sometimes weird forwards of MS Word for hotel reservations in different part of the world. So far I've only had one time where TripIt sputtered and it was forward of a hotel reservation that apparently did go into TripIt, but without associated dates.

10. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the tripit integration with android. Load up the tripit app, click on an address and then select open with Telenav and then I have turn by turn GPS directions instantaneously on my cell phone. Pretty sweet.

11. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    the auto-directions were annoying to me too, and I eventually found out that you can turn them off-- go the settings/about you and scroll all the way to the bottom to Travel Preferences where you will see a check box for 'auto-add maps & directions for hotels'

Agreed, they've improved the Android app in the last few months. It used to take ~30-40 seconds to load, now the screen comes up in less than 10. I also like that they added the 'Past trips' functionality to the app recently.

This is something that Tripit needs to do better on-- I use the google login option, and if I don't do anything for 10 min I need to login again. I 'd like it to be a bit more persistent than that.

For me, Tripit looks better, integrates most data well, and has trip history going back to 2007-- Kayak or another site would need new features to make me switch. Personally, I'd love for Tripit to have an Autoslash-like functionality...

FlyingBear likes this.
  12. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I'll find the option to cut the driving directions.

If they would update the iPhone app similarly, that would be great.

Yeah - and Autoslash would be amazing, but I don't think even Autoslash has Autoslash anymore.

13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too late for me, as I've already plunked down my 99 cents on Kayak Pro, but if you hit up a Starbucks, you can apparently get a code to make Kayak Pro for iPhone free:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroadwarrior/2012/05/25/iphone-app-kayak-pro-free-at-starbucks/

Worth every penny.

In more testing, I'm finding Kayak to be the clear winner on parsing crazy emails.

If only Kayak had the look of TripIt (especially on the iPad) this would be an easy dilemma to solve.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  14. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I've not done my homework here. Good thing I'm not a journalist.

While I've extolled the virtues of the visually appealing TripIt iPad app, I hadn't updated and used the Kayak Pro iPad app. I now have, and I must say, it basically rivals the TripIt one.

So, to me, this is another reason to move to Kayak Pro. I still think the iPhone version of TripIt looks better, but I'll trade that for the speed of the Kayak Pro one.

Sorry I don't have any Android devices for comparison of these two services and apps. If anyone can post some info, that would be great.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  15. neu

neu New Member

Status Points:
    Is the pick of the week limited to just us and Canada or is it worldwide?

16. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have left tripit for worldmate. I found worldmate is better and cheaper than tripit. I have Kayak, but have never used it to book any travel.

17. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to be clear, you don't have to use Kayak in any other way to use the trip planning portion.

Further, Kayak isn't actually a way to book, it's really just a portal to other booking engines. They don't take your travel money.

Finally, with the update of the iPhone app, I'm liking it even more.

18. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been enjoying Kayak since my TripIt pro membership expired and I do not regret it. Love their Adroid app with price alert notifications.

19. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone used skyscanner? I have downloaded it and looks very easy to use.

20. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I started trying Kayak alongside TripIt last week. An hour ago kayak emailed me about my flight tomorrow being cancelled. Well done by Kayak, and thanks to this thread for bringing kayak trips to my attention.

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have just been trying to decide what to do following some irritating issues with TripIt, basically the price and funky updates fails. You've convinced me to try Kayak. What's to lose?

22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have just had my first experiences with Kayak and thought it might be useful to comment from the perspective of a total newbie.

First, it was easier to set up than was TripIt and much more flexible.
    Second, I loaded it straight off with a six country, multi-stop trip i have scheduled which has train, plane, automobile, ferry as well as lots of different hotels, two airlines with different PNR's and two car rental companies. All in all it so far has performed very well. The ferry it could not handle, no surprise, I entered it manually as a train. I have hotels from three chains (hilton, Hyatt, Sofitel) as well as hotels.com. Zero problems in the hotels. The only issue was that Kayak was confused about some of my locations that were transliterated from cyrillic. TripIt simply would not accept any of that. Kayak made minor errors that were easy to fix manually. Just to test I had several changed reservations. The new ones made it in easily but I had to remove the oold ones manually.

The visual presentation on my iphone and ipad is very satisfactory.
    For 99 cents I'm a very happy guy!
    Thanks, Schnitzel

23. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear it jbcarioca! I just finished my last TripIt trip and I'll soon be on my first all-Kayak one. I can't tell you how sick I am of that startup delay in TripIt - so much so that I was considering re-entering the remaining days of this last trip into Kayak.

edekba and jbcarioca like this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did reenter a previously done trip in Kayak. Easy! BTW, even the odd pdf confirmation (Sixt, for example) and a pure email message (some restaurants) they processed in moments.

BTW, one quirk I discovered: to synch between devices, sign out of Kayak on the device you want to synch, then sign on again, even if the device has been shut off since it was last used. I thought it was not updating my iPhone but it was just that I had to sign out and in again.

25. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can't just hit that circle-arrow icon on the bottom left?

jbcarioca likes this.