Karma Launches Its $79 4G Mobile Hotspot And Pay-As-You-Go Data Plan

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by legalalien, Dec 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Read the entire article at Tech Crunch: http://tcrn.ch/THx9vj

The most interesting (for this group) part is at the bottom (emphasis mine): "Nonetheless, there’s a big opportunity in the air, as GoGo Inflight Internet is sorely in need of disrupting. The company is in the early stages of a pilot with one of the largest airlines in the U.S., which will offer “free Karma hotspots to frequent fliers,” for example. Building out these partnerships could prove to be a great revenue stream and user acquisition strategy for Karma."

sobore, mht_flyer and iolaire like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've signed (and used a bit) up for two freedom pop accounts: http://freedompop.com/ where you pay for the puck and then get 500 megs of Clearwire connectivity per month. I have one puck like a Verizon cell hotspot and one "case" that snaps into my iPod. Seems to work with the limitations of the Clearwire network. I only use it a bit, sometimes it seems spotty but other times its dependable, I think it is because of signal issues when it is spotty.

Freedom pop offers zero frequent flier support...

mht_flyer likes this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, I've actually been looking into getting a mobile hotspot, trying to figure out which is better given I can get a corporate discount if I go with ATT or VzW

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Karma seems to be using clearwire also

5. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clearwire coverage is very spotty, and virtually non-existent outside of major cities. So even though this plan is (relatively) cheap, it's only usable if you stay inside WiMax areas. I think I'll keep using my phone as a hotspot for now.

TAHKUCT likes this.