Kansas? Is that really the best that you can do AS?

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Colonel G, Oct 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sure there is someone excited about AS' announcement that they will start flying to KC, but not me. Even the double miles offered is not enough to get me to go there. What's next Toledo?:eek:

Toula likes this.
  2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    So it's not just me thinking this is a strange route to introduce. It just surprises me that there is sufficient traffic to justify the flight.

yaychemistry and 2soonold like this.
  3. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe Boeing?:confused:

yaychemistry likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    MCI is a great destination for a UA/CO mileage run. That's all I have to say. :cool:

Flyer1976 likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I deleted the email unread after seeing the subject line. :p

6. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kansas City is not in Kansas. :) ( at least the big one, isn't)

k_malm likes this.
  7. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    There must be some quantitative analysis to which we're not privy that demonstrated internally at AS that adding MCI would be nothing short of scrumpdillyumptious for them. I mean, I assume this, because without that, it seems like such a blah location. How about PIT? PHL? CLT? RDU? Or more routes to LIH or KOA?

yaychemistry likes this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly my thought, MCI... Reallyyy!!!! Why couldn't they add PHL or more service from NYC...

9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Things like aircraft utilization, landing and other airport rental fees, costs of subcontracting ground support, etc., all go into the equation. That, when analyzed with the expected passenger and cargo revenue can make the 'not obvious' a good choice for the airline. For all we know, AS now has the contract to ship all the BBQ sauce to the Pacific time zone.

Skypath and yaychemistry like this.
  10. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as they also have the contract to ship all the BBQ sauce to the Alaska time zone, I'd be quite satisfied.

Skypath and yaychemistry like this.
  11. My understanding is that AS targets routes that allow them to achieve a certain Return On Invested Capital (ROIC). I'm assuming that MCI must have met that threshold.

I do think you are more likely to see central time zone routes added over eastern time zone. On an already over utilized fleet, its obviously easier to add those shorter flights in to the schedule.

2soonold likes this.
  12. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    WN has recently dropped this flight, and perhaps Frontier did as well. Filling a void is what it is. The same could be said for STL. My flights to and from STL were packed.

....and Kansas City is actually a nicer place than St. Louis.

dsldog400 likes this.
  13. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to the press release:
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=109361&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1615630&highlight=

I'm not sure exactly how to interpret that statement, but to me its saying that there are 6 other larger domestic markets (from Seattle) that AS does not fly to...

I would guess this route has something to do with some sort of expected high ROIC vs those other 6 (higher landing fees, or something?). It could be that KC is recovering faster from the recession than the other markets? (just a guess, I don't really know anything about who's recovering faster).

14. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's not to love about Kansas City? MMMM!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you showing off your burnt ends? ;)

yaychemistry likes this.
  16. dsldog400

dsldog400 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone going to be on the first SEA-MCI flight March 12? I am, partly for fun, but I am also headed to LAX Monday, so what better way than GEG-SEA-MCI-ATL-LAX. 4600 base miles, cheeeep fare, exit rows (or better), reclining seats, no little planes & not a single Q-400.

I occasionally go to KC, and more often just pass through MCI changing planes. Done lots of 10 to 20 minute connections on DL, either as SDC 's or starting a second ticket on a 4 to 6 segment itin'y.

Remember, it's not just Seattle area customers that might use an MCI flight, but all of the Northwest cities within a BLI-EUG-BOI-GEG circle that feed Q-400 traffic into Seattle. Additionally, MidWest and Southwest didn't work for most of those origins, UA is spotty, and AA worse.

I happen to think it's a good destination for AS. It only uses 1 737 for half a day, and it might work as a good way for AS to send connecting passengers eastward from SEA on DL or AA. I'll be watching how those flights price out on AS, DL & Orbitz. There might be some surprising fares & connections show up by not routing through ORD, DFW or ATL, not to mention winter weather advantages.

jackal, Golfingboy and yaychemistry like this.
  17. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If it is, it is because there's a lot of traffic flying between the city pairs that we never knew about! ;)

18. jamiehogg

jamiehogg New Member

Status Points:
    "Underserved" and "desirable" or "populated with people who actually travel" are clearly very different criteria. How about New Orleans? Or Salt Lake? Columbus, Cleveland, or Cincy, OH? All of these seem to make more sense. I'd even take a smaller destination with tourist-appeal, like Charleston, SC or Santa Fe over KC. OY.