Kansas Bill Would Restrict Airport Pat-Downs

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Feb 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.hayspost.com/2013/02/17/kansas-bill-would-restrict-airport-pat-downs/

Some Kansas House members want to restrict how federal security agents frisk airline passengers at the state’s airports, saying the pat-downs are often humiliating or conducted on people who pose no danger.

The bill sponsored by 21 House members would make it illegal for Transportation Security Administration screeners to touch an airline passenger’s private areas during a search. It also would bar the agents from taking a child under the age of 18 away from a parent or guardian to conduct a search, The Kansas City Star reported Friday.

Between 100 and 110 TSA officers are stationed at seven Kansas airports, including the Hays Regional Airport.

The TSA said in a blog post that the U.S. Constitution bars states from regulating actions of the federal government.

Read More: http://www.hayspost.com/2013/02/17/kansas-bill-would-restrict-airport-pat-downs/

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I am no great fan of the TSA, I find that some people complain much more than necessary. The reality for me is that if what they do even slightly helps my security while traveling, I really do not have objections.

The world today is different than when I grew up.

I remember airports with almost no security, banks without bullet proof glass, schools without metal detectors and many other things that have changed through the years to reflect the society we now live in.

It would be great to be able to go back to the way we once lived and traveled, but a few crazy people have ruined that for all society.

3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe we can vote them out of office in the next elections. ;)

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, they may be doing something that slightly helps your security compared to, say, the pre-9/11 security. Not sure how to measure that, but let's say they do. But at what cost? (both in terms of $$$ and liberty). And if we accept the cost in terms of $$$, is what we get the best level of security we could buy with that amount of money?

(Of course, I realize that it's easy to criticize and more difficult to propose alternatives... and I am not doing the latter here either. Just wanted to point out that we may not get our money's worth, and saying "if it makes us safer, it's worth it" is a statement I would not agree with).

SC Flier likes this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too much money at stake.

The Government isn't necessarily worried about the loss of life in another airline attack, it's more worried about what it might do to the economy.

Further, society has moved from a risk-management (windowless banks, minimal airport security) to a risk-avoidance model. Again, it all boils down to money.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at thread title......who is Kansas Bill ? Is he related to Pecos Bill ? :D

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I don't understand is that state after state has introduced these bills and they always fail because the feds say they have jurisdiction at airports thus the state can't dictate security. Why do states still waste everyone's time and money trying to pass these un-enforcable laws? It's almost as big a waste of time as the TSA circus.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Because it gives state legislators an opportunity to show off their "support" for the people. Then they get elected into higher office in DC and suddenly it's no longer a priority. Or so I imagine.

10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, having worked at a municipal agency for some time in my life I'd say you're most certainly correct. I was dumb to asked the question! :)