K Fare + Miles to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Ed Ip, Mar 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

We are looking to go to Hawaii later this year, awards tix seem really hight and don't really want to spend $3k on buying P (Y-Up). I can chance it and wait until 8-10 weeks before and hope that an A fare open up which would be in the $2k range but kind of risky.

How do I go about getting K Fare + 12.5k Miles each way to upgrade? Assuming there are upgrade space, the ticketing must be done by a person over the phone right? And is the upgrade instant or have to wait until the window (we are both Silver...so almost no chance)?

Thanks!

Ed

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can check ExpertFlyer for upgrade inventory, which will be G to upgrade with miles. Buy the ticket online searching for K or higher and then you can call to upgrade. (Or you can call and do it all at once, but you'd pay the direct ticketing charge since you're not GM or higher.) I would definitely be sure to book flights where you know the upgrade is available at the time of purchase, as otherwise you've just paid more money to sit in the back.

3. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Can you please confirm is it 12.5k miles per segment or each way (all segments)?

I looked in ExpertFlyer and it's not looking good for the week we wanted to go. :(

4. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    The upgrade mileage covers all segments on a single fare component, so if you flew ATL-LAX-HNL, you could upgrade both segments for 12.5K miles (assuming that's the mainland-HI upgrade rate…I haven't checked that).

5. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I checked the chart on Delta and looks like it's 15k to upgrade to Hawaii.

Right now I am seeing award availability on 2 out of 3 outbound segments and segment#3 has 1 in G. What would happen if I go ahead and upgrade one of us all the way through and another G becomes available after the fact? Will I be able to call back in to claim that seat?

Thanks again.

6. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, you can call in and have them upgrade the segment later. I know you can waitlist for SWU, but not sure about miles. Worth asking them if they can wait list the segment with insufficient G.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The price in mies to upgrade to Hawaii is more than for mainland domestic trips, but IIRC there are two levels, with the higher one for the flights that are closer to BE. I think this includes the ATL-HNL nonstop since it's on a nice aircraft.

8. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be warned that the preponderance of opinion around here is that G seldom or never opens once the original inventory is exhausted.

9. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Surprise!! 9 G just opened up on a segment previously had 0. The return segment between LAX-ATL is still showing 0, may be (at least I'm hoping) the release is on a sliding schedule. :)

10. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear. I am waitlisted on a segment later this month (on a flight that shows F9 and a sure Medallion upgrade if the G does not clear) which is part of a much longer trip. Now there is a bit of hope for having the seat before the gate lottery takes over.