JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa to open in 2014

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by uggboy, Mar 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa to open in 2014 ||

Great news for Venice, Marriott and guests alike.

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting- I take it this was the project that originally a hospital and then at one time was going to be a Sofitel and then the project was suspended in 2011.

uggboy likes this.
  3. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow this is far from the main islands and Piazza San Marco (map). It will be interesting to hear how often the hotel boat runs or if you need a private taxi (or your own boat) the majority of the time (For example, the hotel boat to/from the Boscolo Venezia only runs between 10:45 and 17:20)

Does anyone have the hours that the Hilton Molino Stucky Venice hotel boat runs?

uggboy likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am quite sure this island will be connected by vaparetto (public transit) which will run 24 hours although admittedly very little service after midnight and before 06.20A.

uggboy likes this.
  6. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no knowledge one way or another, but the current Vaparetto (map) does not go anywhere near this island.

TRAVELSIG and uggboy like this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi MyTravels- let's wait until next year and see what happens.....

uggboy likes this.
  8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    A private water taxi will be available at all hours, I'm sure. It'll cost a couple of hundred euros, I'm guessing, but that's to be expected for people used to Venice prices.

uggboy likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Private water taxis are always available. A couple of hundred euros sounds very high indeed- with the current tarriff you would expect around 80 to 100 however I am quite sure there will be a public solution available.

uggboy likes this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The tariff to the Boscolo Bellini (near the train station) is around 90 euros, and that's one of the closer parts of Venice to the airport. Did you actually look to see how far out into the lagoon the JW Marriott is? It's way the heck out there, farther than most of the places on Lido isle.

uggboy and MyTravels like this.
  11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes because someone looking at Google maps will have a much better idea than someone living in Venezia....

uggboy likes this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    90 Euros = Madness, considering how near the hotel is to the airport. I don't dare to think what a water taxi to the JW Marriott would cost. :eek:

13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The official rate for a water taxi from the airport to Venezia Lido (directly to your hotel) is 100 EUR. Lido is farther than the JW.

http://www.motoscafivenezia.it

Taking a water taxi to the Boscolo is a bit silly considering you could simply take an auto taxi (car that is) for less than 35 EUR and end up almost directly in front of the hotel.

Water taxi is of course a very expensive form of transport however not even during the film festival have I ever seen a price of 200 EUR even quoted. With the official website above of course you can also prepay on line, get the official price, and even a discount on the return trip if you really want to take a water taxi. Most people of course consider this to be quite the luxury- OK to use during a special time or only visit however certainly not something for everyday use.

uggboy likes this.
  14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I took the public water bus. And, as for your being a local, I didn't know that, so I'll just say: mea culpa.

I also probably was thinking of the higher rate for the wee hours of the morning, because 90 euros was less than I remember being quoted. I remember having to figure out how to get back to the airport for an early flight and finally just spared my sanity and stayed in Mestre.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the early morning hours there is a surcharge- also if you book in advance there is a discount in addition to the quoted price of 10% discount on the return trip. If you have an early morning flight certainly the Marriott in Mestre will save your sanity- agreed! The public water bus is a much better value. Also remember that you can take a bus to the P.za Roma and then a water bus or water taxi to save money and possibly time depending on your final destination.

In any event- let's hope this hotel lives up to its promises as it is being marketed as a major convention and meeting destination- something Venezia really needs at the moment as despite the impression of being overcrowded >75% of visitors don't even stay overnight- they just arrive in the morning and leave in the late afternoon which causes a lot of infrastructure challenges.

16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I stayed at the new St. Regis San Clemente this week that apparently overlooks this property. The San Clemente security manager was pointing this property out to me while we were having a conversation. He said he hasn't seen any work done there in quite some time, heard the project stalled. Could just be hearsay.

uggboy likes this.
  17. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you open the Hilton Molino Stucky website the hours of the boat are there.

uggboy likes this.