JW Marriott Marquis Dubai Opening in December 2012

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Jimgotkp, Nov 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

The $490-million JW Marriott Marquis Dubai is scheduled to open next month, officially becoming the tallest hotel in the world.

The 1,608-room hotel stands at 1,164 feet and will open in two phases, with the first phase unlocking the doors of 807 rooms and various restaurants and lounges. The hotel will offer nine restaurants and five lounges and entertainment venues. Restaurants will include a boutique steakhouse, Italian coastal cuisine and an Arabic restaurant. Also available is a 16,000 square foot Saray Spa and a large pool deck on the hotel's seventh floor with an open deck, cabanas, lounges and umbrellas.

Guestrooms will provide the latest technology including iPod stations, a 46 inch LCD HDTV, high-speed Internet access and a large working desk. The bathrooms offer rain-head showers.

For those who are curious, it's at Category 6 hotel.

Information from: http://www.hotelmanagement.net/oper...riott-marquis-dubai-to-open-in-december-18221

Globalflyer likes this.
  2. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know when exactly this hotel will open? I made a reservation for end of December, I want to be sure they are actually going to be open then, and I wont get walked.

3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is they opened a day or two ago.

4. PaulMCO

PaulMCO Active Member

Status Points:
    Still like the JW in Deira. I hope the service here will be as good.

5. nldogbert

nldogbert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a quick comparison between the JW Deira and the JW Marquis based on my own personal opinion

Within half year, I stayed at these 2 properties and just wanted to give my viewpoint comparing these 2 properties.

Location: JW Marriott due to its proximity to the metro station. JW Marquis is good for the shuttle to Dubai Mall, other than that, is is about 15 mins walking to the metro station in the heat.

Staff: JW Marriott - I feel that the staff here are more friendly and personal. At the Marquis, I felt that the place is too big and there are too many staff so this makes any more personal interaction less (unless you are a long term staying guest).

Exec. Lounge: From the Wow factor - the Marquis wins. For food choice especially evening canapes, the JW Marriott wins hands down. Basically at the Marquis, don't expect you can make an evening meal out of the offerings unless you had a late lunch. Breakfast was ok - more or less the same choices for both.

Room: JW Marquis wins again, more modern and with latest technology. Toilet was huge compared to the JW Marriott. There is a balcony, however you are not allowed to access it. No idea why it was built in the first place.

Elite treatment: I felt that I was more appreciated as an Elite member at the JW Marriott vs the JW Marquis. Checking in at the new Elite desk at the Marquis, was not even greeted as an Elite member. I even felt that the associate checking me in was being arrogant. At the JW Marquis, they forgot my arrival gift and as I had booked the room for 3 adults, was never offered an upgrade to a larger room (and I am so fed up of asking every time). Room had a partial view to the Burj Khalifa. No additional welcome gift, i.e fruits, chocs or cakes. At the JW Marriott, besides the Plat gift, had fruits and chocs as part of welcoming gift already in the room (and was upgraded the last time without asking).

Pool: JW Marquis wins hands down here. Great view. In general this was the highlight of the whole hotel in my opinion. The whole area around the pool was a great place to lounge and relax especially in the evening.
    The JW Marriott pool area is ok - the plus is that you can see planes coming into DXB.

I do admit both property have it's advantages and disadvantages, but for me, I do lean a bit more to the older JW Marriott compared to the JW Marquis. From value point of view, the JW Marriott is much better (unless you can get the LNF-rate for the Marquis).