JW Marriott Beijing

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by thegrailer, Sep 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Title is where I am staying but I have little info. Has anyone spent much time there? Best way to get to/from PEK? Local eating/drinking places?[cart/stall food preferred] All info welcomed

Thanks

2. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Timely question. I'll be staying there as well in mid October (thank you CO/UA mistake fare from SEA :))

-RM

3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    And the best part is that I can use my Cat 4 rewards here. Although, If folks start chiming in that this isn't the place to be in PEK, then I am canceling and looking elsewhere... Soooooooo, someone must have stayed here at least once - right????:eek:

4. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone

"something D O O ecomonics..."

I'll be there next week so I guess I can update it myself :)

5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take a taxi from PEK. But make sure you bring a print out of the hotel address in Mandarin or you'll possibly be asked to take another cab and try to explain in English to the taxi dispatcher where you're trying to go. Cabs are cheap anyway (less than 90Y).

The JW isn't in the livliest part of town but it is near a subway station that takes you to all the sights you'll probably want to go to. It's 6 stops away from Tiananmen Sq and Forbidden City. It's 4 stops away from Wangfujing which is one of the more popular night markets.

For roast duck you must go to Quanjude in Wangfujing. Walk down the main street and look to the right at about the 2nd or 3rd side street and you'll see it there. US$22 for half a duck and it's amazing. Other than that I have no food suggestions.

-RM

thegrailer likes this.
  6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got back and it really was a nice hotel. And as a Cat 4, I'd say a great deal as a freebie! Here are some random thoughts

• Taxi from PEK was about 90 as mentioned but it took almost two hours in traffic. A really horrible ride after traveling for a day.
    • The hotel is nice and I was upgraded to the concierge level with lounge access. I was offered a suite buy-up for ~$215 for 3 nights. I declined [limited Marriott knowledge - as a Gold should I have gotten that suite for free?]
    • Had my Peking duck at the Grand Hyatt at Made in China and it was a nice meal.
    • The subway is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and takes one most anywhere
    • A number of high end stores b/w the subway and the hotel
    • Had a great meal at a hole in the wall restaurant on one of the side streets near the hotel. The noodles were hand cut straight into the wok and were absolutely amazing. There is also a grocery store/bodega near one of the subway entrances that is good for Chinese snacks, eg, haw fruit role ups, "Inca" chips, Italian meat flavored chips, etc...
    • Staff was friendly and I got some great recommendations from the concierge [even for donkey which there just wasn't enough time to sample]
    • Late check out no problem at all.
    PM if you need want more info

Cheers

uggboy likes this.