JW Marriott Bangkok - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by TRAVELSIG, Apr 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently completed a stay at the JW Bangkok- a few points:

1. The lounge is one of the best in the system worldwide- excellent selection of food and beverages, great very attentive waitstaff, and a nice terrace overlooking the city.

2. Location is good- but not as good as the SGS for example- it is about a five minute walk to the BTS, which can be a pain in the rain.

3. Japanese restaurant Tsu Nami (unfortunate choice of name) is excellent- very good quality and beautiful decor. Currently there is a lunch special at 698 BHT which is a wonderful promotion- it is all you can eat including sushi, sashimi, and grill orders. Great service also.

4. Pool area- not one of the best in Bangkok- a little bit sad looking actually- however the gym is exceptional. Children seem to enjoy the pool however, and it is shallow (maximum 1.25 m).

5. Rooms- I am not a big fan of the Marriott decor- and this is pretty traditional Marriott in that regard- the carpet is a bit disturbing. My other feedback is that if you have a room facing Sukhumvit it is quite noisy at night. The closet is also far too small if there is more than one person. Bed is very comfortable. Service is also great from housekeeping. Water pressure in the shower is very strong- a rarity in most Bangkok highrise hotels.

Would I stay here again? Maybe- although as it is priced similar to the Four Seasons, and higher than the nearby Conrad and SGS, it would be tough- definitely come back for the set lunch promotion however at Tsu Nami- one of the best deals in Bangkok for high quality Japanese food in an elegant setting. Staff are also some of the best in Bangkok.

snap, Kalboz, CrankyScott and 2 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a beautiful property indeed, many thanks for all your details about the JW Marriott Bangkok!:) Naturally, there will always be some weakness in every property whatever the price! Indeed, the decor of many Marriott properties could be improved and should be slightly paired down to achieve a relaxing upscale look throughout. ;)So far we have had only experience with their superb bakery and lounge with great food // drink offerings. :)This property shall be on our list of choices to stay when next time in Bangkok!:)

Kalboz likes this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have had many stays at this awesome property with at least 115 nights in the past few years and was never disappointed. Always upgraded to a better room or a corner room but only once to a suite as they seem a bit stingy on upgrades. Regardless, great treatment, excellent service, the best elite lounge in Bangkok (I dare say!), various dining options, awesome spa services, etc. I will write a complete review soon, and in the mean time, enjoy the photos :)
    [​IMG]
    Better room # 1735
    [​IMG]
    Breakfast time at the lounge - Hot Station
    [​IMG]
    Desserts at dinner time - Marriott Cafe
    [​IMG]
    Another great room - # 1235
    [​IMG]
    Corner Room # 2007

4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    A recent published article about the Bangkok JW Marriott's executive lounge: Luxury Bangkok Hotel's Executive Lounge Is All About Comfort, Community and Connectivity.
    [​IMG]
    .​

uggboy and cennas like this.
  5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the pics and the link to the article....looks and sounds like a really great lounge...makes the GH Erawan lounge (where I usually stay) looks shabby in comparison...

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are very welcome cennas :)

Ironically, both properties, the GH Erawan & the JW Marriott Bangkok are owned by the same entity, the Erawan Group. Both lounges are great.

The GH Erawan lounge is nice with fantastic sweeping views that extend from Pratunam to Sathorn including the Ratchaprasong intersection, but it is very small with less food choices in comaprison to the Lounge at the JW Marriott. To give a sense of scale, the JWM lounge's outdoor porch alone is much bigger than the entire GH Erawan's lounge.
    [​IMG]
    The view from JWM lounge's outdoor porch
    [​IMG]
    The views from GH Erawan's lounge.

uggboy and cennas like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    New Zealand Food Showcased at the Marriott Cafe

A selection of sustainably produced New Zealand fare presented August 1-14

New Zealand lamb, grass fed New Zealand Beef, New Zealand Greenshell Mussels, New Zealand monkfish and New Zealand Pacific Oysters. Complete your meal with a choice of fresh New Zealand vegetables ranging from Portobello mushrooms and Brussels sprouts to baby spinach and baby turnips.

SwampFox and uggboy like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Kalboz! Awesome comparison of two awesome properties!
    Interesting, all two properties have the same owner! Thanks for the insights and superb photos, a joy!:)

Kalboz likes this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not aware that you started a thread on this property @Travelsig ... should done the search first :confused:

Maybe the mods can combine the two ... nice review BTW!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    uggboy likes this.
  10. I also like this hotel very much. Pool is okay, but nothing special. Water seemed cold last time I swam there. Gym is great as is the men's lounge with steamroom, sauna and hot tub. The lunch promotion sounds great.

11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The pool area is very nice ... with Bangkok's oppressive heat, I rather have cold pool water ... but that's just me :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Limited Time Offer at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok
    [​IMG]

TRAVELSIG, CrankyScott and uggboy like this.
  13. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Kalboz I booked a December stay with those great rates...

Fully agree with Travelsig that the JW Bangkok has one of the best lounges in the fleet - and breakfast is a feast not to be missed!

Now if I could get a reduced spa package, life would be great!

Kalboz likes this.
  14. Stayed recently and enjoyed it very much. Tried the White Elephant Restaurant. Give it a thumbs up.

Kalboz, TRAVELSIG and uggboy like this.
  15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    White Elephant is good. Tsu Nami is excellent as well if you have a craving for Japanese!

16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The buffet lunch is a great deal at THB 299/person when you can sample a verity of high quality appetizers, salads, curries, noodles, and other Thai specialties.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  17. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    My girlfriend and I will be in Bangkok for just one night in two weeks (between Siem Reap and Phuket).

For your first time in Bangkok, having the choice between both the JW and the Renaissance, what would you choose?

18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Locations are very similar (they are both a few blocks from each other). The JW has an outdoor pool, the REN doesn't. The REN is brand new, the JW is ~15 years old IIRC. Both are very good hotels. The club at the JW is very popular and can get crowded.

Does the choice have to be between those two hotels? If not, you may want to look at the SGS (Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit) which is at the same price points, and if you want to splurge consider one of the riverfront hotels if you are just for one night on a leisure trip as this is very nice for a leisure stay.

There are so so many great hotels in BKK. What is it you want to do while you are in the city? Age ? Budget? If there are a few details the alternatives can be narrowed down.

19. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow, thanks for the quick reply.

We are 27, have no real budget restrictions, but were choosing between the Marriott properties because I would be paying for them with points. We could look at the starwood property, but I've already got rooms booked at the JW/Ren.

As we only have 1.5 days in Bangkok, i doubt we're going to spend much time at the pool (as we have 5 days in Phuket following that part of the trip), so good location and amenities are probably the most important factors for us.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go for the JW is my recommendation if the points are the same. If the points are not the same- you decide. 1.5 days in Bangkok will go by very quickly- a lot to see in this city. If you are interested in nightlife, take a walk up Soi 11 (walking distance from the hotel on the opposite side of the street)- lot there to see and can be fun (particularly Cheap Charlies).

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  21. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    One downside of the JW is the price of laundry. Here are some current laundry prices (18 Dec 2011):

120 THB Underpants / undershirt / socks​
    260 THB Trousers / jeans​
    220 THB Short sleeves shirt​
    100 THB Handkerchief​

Yikes, that is mega expensive. But fortutnly there are some good outside options. Both on Soi 8 (left hand side doubles as travel agency) and Soi 3 /1 are places that will wash and fold and return same or next day. For a 1 Kilo load it cost me 120 THB on Soi 8.

On all my trips I never tried Bully Pub and Restaurant (next door) http://www.bullysbangkok.com as I thought it was a go go bar, Yikes, was I wrong. This is a great pub with good food, free wi-fi and awesome staff!

Kalboz likes this.
  22. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    A plug on Yahoo: New Room Styles at the JW Marriott Bangkok

hotelsallover likes this.
  23. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed on the laundry at the JW Marriott ... but if you have status you get a certain amount of comp. laundry pieces per day ... or is it per stay?

As for Bully's, yes it is a very good sports bar ... I have had a club sandwich with fries (imagine in Bangkok!!!) and a beer there once and it was great! :)
    [​IMG]

24. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Songkran special at the JW Marriott Bangkok

25. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think we have to make Kalboz the font of all wisdom for BKK hotels.

TRAVELSIG and Kalboz like this.