Just tried the crossover, flying on AA as US Airways Elite.

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by enichols22124, Jan 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I figured I would try for the 50% bonus on a AA flight as a US AIrways Elite Gold to see if this worked or if I should stay clear. In the past, when I was flying United and Continental while it merged, it was terrible for me, lost luggage, lost privileges, messed up tickets, etc. So, I wanted to see if there was good news or bad news. The good news is that AA personnel were very polite. But....at the moment, my advice would be to go over everything with them, possibly a few times, because there is nothing that seems to happen automatically, you have to stop, ask, and then ask again specifically about features. For example, I book the ticket, entering in the US Airways number. I go back, it's not there. I have to call it in. They are very polite, everything is good to go. When I arrive, they see the number, but I still have to show my Gold card for them to accept the suitcase as free, otherwise they wanted to charge for it. Then, they issue my ticket....I walk away....hmmm....it doesn't say anything except Group 4 on it. That doesn't sound good. Sure enough, the security says this is not preferred, go to the regular line. Uh, no. I go back, I have them fix it to a Preferred line. OK, go through security. I sit down, look up my seat, it's alllllll the way in the back. Hmmmm... I go and ask, they tell me Elites don't get Preferred seats (I'm not asking for FC, just the slightly bigger seats - Economy Plus?). I go back, I look it up, it says we do get those. I go back. they tell me sorry, it's too late, you are stuck with these. Ah well.

So, eventually things were working, even getting in line,they call AA status people, and so I go to the counter and ask which group do I match it only says Preferred on the ticket. Oh yeah, she says, I forgot, at this point the line is continuing so I just get in and get to my seat.

Overall, a nice flight, and I really liked the plane as it had video for every seat, along with music and felt pretty new.....but now I know and would advise everyone else as well....check everything, check it again, check it again. It's new and it is not integrated, but at least AA personnel were very friendly and helpful.

Counsellor, MSYgirl and Newscience like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a flight booked on US to fly to DC in about a week, under the assumption that one still gets *A miles from US. Am I mistaken about getting *A miles out of this trip?

3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah. Obi-wan the force is strong in this one I sense. "Now, witness the power of this fully operational battle station".

enichols22124 and Sean Colahan like this.
  4. enichols22124

Status Points:
    It's a reciprocal set of specials going on, US on AA or AA on US and you can apply the points for 50% bonus right now. I'd be very curious to hear about the reverse of what I did. :)

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe part of the answer is that you can get U.S. Air miles and can still redeem them for Star Alliance tickets.

Whether you could credit the U.S. Air flight to (say) United's Mileage Plus or Lufthansa's Miles & More I'm not sure but I thought so.

Edited to add: I just checked Lufthansa's site, and it still says you can earn Miles & More miles for U.S. Air flights.

United's site says:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    NYCUA1K likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your checking the Lufthansa site just gave me the idea to check the UA site and the answer was there:
    I will be able to credit the US miles to my UA account since the trip is next week.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clearly the merger is a failure. :rolleyes:

:D

(And, yes, I'm joking)

Sean Colahan likes this.
  8. enichols22124

Status Points:
    Just pulled through my second flight this way, and it was much better, since I politely mentioned each piece (please make sure preferred, I believe I have seat access, do elites always sit in the back of the plane, do you announce US airways elites or do we board with platinums, etc), and even coming from outside the country, this worked well. I do miss my US airways FC seat though, so I don't know how many times I would do this, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try it. The bonus eased my pain in last class as well :)

We'll see if the points post smoothly.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, what do you know! I did not need to tip toe around as a UA elite. I went to OLCI for my flight to DCA yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see the following pop up when it was time to select a seat:

US-FIRST.png

I was upgraded to first when that was the last thing I expected! Is this a 'charm offensive" by US designed to project a new image of the new AA? They even let me use the Admiral Club at LGA, which the former US lounge has already been renamed...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  10. enichols22124

Status Points:
    Wow! The US Airways side of the house is taking care of you! Sounds like the AA side needs to step it up a bit :)