Survey Request Just short of UA Gold - any advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by KaMo, Jan 3, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. KaMo

KaMo Member

Status Points:
    Hello all. New member and first time poster here.

I finished 2015 well above the PQD level for Gold status (~$8500), but fell about 6600 miles short of Gold status because I had to cancel plans for my Q4 international trip due to the serious illness of a family member.

When I realized that I would end the year so close to Gold status, I scoured the web in an attempt to find out how I might be able to bridge the gap and achieve Gold status for 2016. To my dismay, I found nothing. I called UA to plead my case, but their only advice was to take a trip...which I had already explained that I was not able to do. Unfortunately, I didn't find this site until today.

I have read that there's a chance that UA will offer a "buy up" program at some point in January. I'll see how much that will cost...hopefully, it will happen and won't be excessive in cost.

Given my job, I will take 3-4 international flights per year and about 4-5 pretty long domestic flights. So, I will definitely hit the PQD for 2016 and I'm pretty sure I will hit PQM also since I would've hit it in 2015 if not for the Q4 family situation.

Might anyone have any other thoughts about options to bridge the gap in 2015 points? I know it's late (being that the new year has already begun), but I figured it might be worth a try to ask the experts here.

Thanks in advance for any insight you all might have,

KaMo

8MiHi and Counsellor like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could have bought pqm via the award accelerator in Dec, but too late for that now. Check older threads here or on FT for details on the Jan buy-up in previous years. Not sure that 6000 miles (if they even offer that much for purchase) would be cheap enough to make me bite.

8MiHi likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. KaMo

KaMo Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel...thank you very much for your responses. I figured it would be an extremely long shot, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask some experts.

I'll keep an eye out for the buy-up to assess the cost. I'd love to get to Gold for 2016, but maybe it'll just have to wait until 2017.

Thanks again!!!

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    You were close to the PQD requirement for Plat. If your that close or will meet PQD for Plat, it might be worth a mileage run to get the PQMs for Plat in 2016.

6. addmail241

addmail241 New Member

Status Points:
    I understand your pain. Last April AA sent me an email offering platinum for $300.00. I called and asked if I would have a year to gather miles to make the cut. The lady said yes and I gave her the money. On Dec 31, AA rolled my account over to zero, not what I was told. They even split a trip I took to Phoenix Dec 28 and returned Jan 2. I called them but they said too bad. Had 48,000 but not good enough for AA. I do 60,000 in a year, but not in 9 months. Gonna see if Delta will honor the platinum level. Was flying with US Air since early 80s. but kept losing points and memberships in bankruptcies. Should have known they wouldn't honor the commitment, although it was most likely just a commission sales girl who gave me the wrong data and not their corporate policy..

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uhh, no US carrier has dropped a FF account in a bankruptcy. It simply hasn't happened.

And "splitting" a trip based on the outbound and return travel dates is consistent across the industry worldwide.

8. KaMo

KaMo Member

Status Points:
    Well...I got my offers:

$1250 to "buy up" to Gold

$2000 to "buy up" to Gold and to received PQM and PQD towards 2017 status.

That's pretty expensive. Don't think I'm going to bite on that...especially considering most of my long haul flights will be international, business class tickets that will give me priority access already.

I guess I'll just wait for 2017 to get my Gold status.

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering some other prices I've seen - $2299 for Silver - these numbers are reasonable. Still probably not worth it, but they don't completely suck.

KaMo likes this.