Just Short of 1K

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mlangbau, Dec 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mlangbau

mlangbau New Member

Status Points:
    I will be about 3500 miles short of 1K for the year. I am flying all the way up to the 31st so no real time to make a mileage run. Premier accelerator wants about $4000 to add miles to a trip I am taking the first week of the year.

Are there any other alternatives at this point?

Thanks

2. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe FPQMs (if you have certain UA credit cards that are no longer available). You can try seeing if you could get any ORC (original routing credit) for flights in the past that were supposed to be longer but cut short due to IRROPS (weather/schedule change/missed connections)?

Besides that, PA would your best bet.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flex PQMs can only take you up to Premier Platinum. 1K requires actually earning the 100k PQMs via flying (or the Mileage Plus Select Visa).

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the PA offer for far more PQMs than you need? If so, consider buying a different ticket (that you don't plan to use) or three just so see if you can get a lower PA offer. Then refund the ticket (either because you bought a refundable ticket or refunded any ticket in the 24 hour window).

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the correct thing to do. Buy a trip that matches the mileage you need. Get the Premier accelerator miles (or whatever they call it); Refund the ticket.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. mlangbau

mlangbau New Member

Status Points:
    I have 2 trips scheduled for January. The R/T distance of the first one is just about the same as the mileage deficit I have but they want $4000 to premier accelerate. They are offerring 13,000 miles.

The second trip is much longer and the accelerator wants even more money for that one

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just how short of 1K are you? 3,500 miles? It shouldn't be offering you PAMs for 13k PQM I would think.

8. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    So look for an even shorter trip. I have an 1,140 mile trip scheduled, and they're offering 6K for $1500 or 8K for ~$2000. And on an 830 mile trip, they're offering 3K for $760 or 5K for $1265. (All $ amounts are the sum of award accelerator and premier accelerator.) I suggest looking at something a hair longer or shorter than my examples, hoping to get a 4K offer for $1000. Maybe a simple BOS-IAD non-stop? Or an SFO-SEA? You may have to try a few times to get the right offer.

Also: check to see what accelerator offers are available for your remaining December travel, too. Even if the tickets are partially flown, you should get an offer.

Lastly, in case you were on the fence: assuming you do any international travel and could use the GPUs, $1K for 1K is a bargain. Make the effort and spend the money.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may need to experiment with shorter itineraries to find the correct number of miles to buy. With the 24 hour cancel rule you should be OK.

10. mlangbau

mlangbau New Member

Status Points:
    Shortest January trip scheduled is for 5800 miles. I will be somewhere between 3500 and 3600 short of 1K. Given the minimum amount of miles offered on this trip for the cost, it would seem that even a shorter trip would be mega dollars.

11. mlangbau

mlangbau New Member

Status Points:
    Tried a short flight. Offering 6000 miles for $2500

12. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    The other annoying thing is that different people will get different offers. I'm looking at a no-status passenger's account now, and she's being offered 3K for $450 or 6K for $900. Very frustrating.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't think you have a lot of choices here. Squeeze in an extra trip, rebook an existing one to make a significant detour, or pay lots of money for accelerator miles. Or jus don't do anything and live with Plat status. Only you can tell how much value you derive from the extra benefits of 1K-ness.

14. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    About 3 - 4 years ago, I was about the same as you, ~ 3,000 miles short of making 1K for the first time. We were also flying right up until Dec. 31, so no real options there. I missed 1K, but in early Jan, I got an e-mail offering me 1K for a fee. Seems like that was US $ 2K. I thought about it, but as my wife was 1K already, and as I almost always travel with her, I declined the offer.

Remember, that was UA in the pre-merger days, and also some years ago. Still, I thought that the offer was a good one, and if I had been doing much solo travel, or had my wife not been 1K already, would probably have gone with it.

Good luck.

15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Award tickets also offer Accelerator offers. If you have enough miles in your account, then you can book a short award trip, exercise the PAM offer, then cancel the award ticket. That would require the fewest number of unnecessary CC charges/refunds tied up while discovering your best suited PAM offer.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Every award ticket has a CC charge associated with it for the taxes/fees. :-:

17. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Which is fewer unnecessary CC charges/refunds tied up than would be required to pay for a ticket. :-:

Perhaps I could have been more clear by saying "fewer unnecessary dollars of CC charges/refunds...."

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    IME any transaction bought/refunded same calendar day hasn't actually shown on my CC anyways. Not a huge risk IMO.

desamo likes this.
  19. mlangbau

mlangbau New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try the premier accelerator one more time but I think i may be pretty much out of options.