Just set off the explosive detector for the second time...

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Mike Reed, Jun 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    First time was in MCI. Turned out to be peroxide in some powdered Tide detergent in my travel kit.

This time, no clue. Got PreCheck but was beeped for random hand screening which alerted positive. Maybe nitroglycerin, since I worked a paramedic shift last night (but showered since then) maybe talcum powder from after my shower before I ran out the door to the airport. No clue...

One thing I'm curious for confirmation on: the 3-striped told me we had to do this screening in private as he was required to use the front of his hands in my groin and inner thigh (witnessed by a second screener). True? I can't request/require a public screening for this case like I can an opt-out screen? Didn't know that... would much rather the public see someone get the full Monty in full view.

Can't really argue with procedure, though, when the machines alert. Made the flight just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

sobore, viguera and Mapsmith like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do they do once the detector finds evidence of explosives on you or your bags?

YULtide and Mapsmith like this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    It changes. A few years ago (the last time it happened to me), they would give you a pat-down and then re-swab.

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Soap, as you likely know, contains glycerin. So does many hand creams/mosturizers. It could be something as innocent as touching some place someone else touched that had hand lotion on it or something.

You had what's called a "resolution" pat-down. I THINK the TSA quietly changed the opt-out pat-down to the non-offensive style, but if you alarm on something, there you go.

I would have made a stink about the private screening. Strong probability they are "demanding" that because it makes them look bad in the public eye. Having another screener "witness" is a kangaroo court thing, in my opinion.

MX, Mapsmith and zphelj like this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife has set them off with acohol wipes in her bag. It doesn't take much.

MX likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    With time on my hands, I might have done so. Unfortunately, I was running later than I should have and didn't want to risk missing the last flight of the day. And, really, while I can bitch about a lot of things TSA does, once the machine beeps I expect a little more scrutiny and different procedures.

I am going to see if I can find whether the "resolution" screening to be required to be private. I wouldn't think that the case, but stranger things have happened.

Essentially they re-patted down "open hand," swabbed all my bags, re-swabbed my hands and when everything was negative, off to my flight I went.

7. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:

Must be that dynamite personality of yours!

8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about explosive diarrhea?

viguera likes this.
  9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only of the mouth, I'm afraid...

10. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm just glad MCI's detectors work...they run us through so fast, sometime you think they are dummy machines...;)

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're talking about the hand-swab machines. Not AIT.

clscholes likes this.
  12. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either way, the 'dummy' is usually monitoring the machine.

13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I set it off last time, probably because I'd stopped in the chicken coop to clean it and feed them before heading to the airport, probably got some chicken "fertilizer" on my shoes. :)

14. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then you had to respond yes to the question: Have you been on a farm in the last two weeks?

Gargoyle likes this.
  15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing he didn't go through FDA, Customs or Integration. I've never been asked that at a domestic security check.

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was said in jest !

Gargoyle likes this.
  17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Considering everything else we have to injest at the TSA checkpoints, I think it was to be expected (or expectorated?)