Just saying ... "This is not your bag"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LIH Prem, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy reminding me of this topic yesterday with a tweet https://twitter.com/#!/ranflyer/status/65565693369790464 about his luggage tags not being useful.

Last week, I think it was at LAX on a hotel shuttle, I saw this guy had a long narrow fabric tag hanging off his bag that said "This is not your bag". We've probably all seen them before, on the carousels, in the airport, on the shuttle, wherever ...

What I always wonder is why don't we all put those tags on our bags, and then watch the ensuing confusion as an entire plane of bags hits the carousel and they all have identical "this is not your bag" tags.

Just saying ...

(I wish I had taken a picture of that guys great tag, but I didn't, but I found this one instead ...)

[​IMG]

2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or you could just put on every bag tag you own. Yup, mine is the one with the 9 bag tags (FT, MP, CO, AA, KLM, DL, company, etc). You can't miss it.

3. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today there are only so much brands of luggage available. 3 Years ago I bought a silver fabric trolley at target as I've not seen too many of those on the luggage caroussel. Hmm... Seems it was produced in millions as now I see it several times on almost every flight I'm taking. I have an eye on Rimowa luggage for years now. But every time I'm travelling on LH or LX half the baggage is from Rimowa... :)

Now if Randy would produce large "milepoint" stickers in flashy colours I would buy a nice Rimowa in an out of fashion colour (light baby-boy blue?), put the sticker on it on both sides and then the chances would be good that that suitcase over there would really actually be mine... ;-)

MrsBobSgt, Jubileesmom and LIH Prem like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tying bright pink ribbon around each handle and zipper seems to work pretty well.

Jubileesmom likes this.
  5. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I joked about the luggage tags above (none of which I'm actually using at the moment), my wife did tie a rather conspicuous ribbon on the the handles of our suitcases. Green and red with gold trim. Very Christmas-y, and have not once seen another bag with a similar ribbon.

6. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
    A very good use of that piece of ribbon which is too small to use on a gift.

Jubileesmom, MrsBobSgt and bobsgt like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thick brightly colored yarn works too.

Jubileesmom and MrsBobSgt like this.
  8. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use electrical phase tape, in colors around the handles and bumpers at the feet.

Jubileesmom and MrsBobSgt like this.
  9. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have a bunch of generic black roller bags. We have blue handle wraps on both handles on each bag. Those combined with the UA orange priority stickers seem to be enough identification for us to find them and others to leave them alone.

Jubileesmom likes this.
  10. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here in Euro land, still have ever only seen one FT tag, and that was/is mine...............

Horse and Jubileesmom like this.
  11. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the milepoint bag tag should say "Milepoint: This is your bag" on one side, and on the other side "This is not your bag". :D

-David

Jubileesmom likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread reminds me of a scene I witnessed in the baggage claim area at BOS several year ago. As the bags from my flight circled on the belt, a woman was opening the top zipper on most of the black roller bags and putting her hands inside, then letting them go or putting them back on the belt. I thought this was very suspicious behavior and pointed it out to the disinterested cop who was leaning against the wall nearby. He just shrugged and none of the other passengers seemed disturbed by this. It's a good thing my bag isn't black because I would have had a fit at some stranger sticking her hand in and feeling around before returning it.

Jubileesmom likes this.
  13. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that's just weird.

Jubileesmom likes this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It got my imagination going to searching for drugs or valuables, perhaps someone checked the bag but didn't fly to Boston, trying to steal jewelry or electronics,....

Jubileesmom likes this.