Just rode the Northeast regional WAS/NYP/NRO. May 2017

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by dhammer53, May 22, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    After riding in a Roomette DEN/PDX last year, and after riding in coach CHI/WAS last week, the Northeast regional was a big let down. This train is more like a commuter train than an over the road train.

Seats on the Northeast regional are like airline coach seats, but more comfortable.
    The Capitol Limited between Chicago and Washington has very comfortable seats with better than first class pitch. Seats have a footrest, and recline far back; much further than domestic first class. I'd much rather ride this than the Northeast regional. Other than that, everything is about the same, with the exception of a dining car on the Capitol Limited.

Newscience and iolaire like this.
  2. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One more thing, Wi-fi sucked.

Newscience likes this.
  3. GlenF

GlenF Active Member

Status Points:
    Well yeah, it *IS* a commuter line. That's why it's called the Northeast Regional - it stops at every station between Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Virginia Beach, VA and everything in between. And yes, the WiFi sucks. Again, it's commuter service and the cars are full most of the time, so WiFi gets used pretty heavily. I'm told WiFi on the Acela Express is better, but I haven't used it enough to have an opinion.

Routes with less utilitarian names: Vermonter, Crescent, Ethan Allen Express, Maple Leaf, Silver Service, etc. are going to be a bit more interesting experience.

Newscience likes this.