Just need a nice beach in the Philippines for November

Discussion in 'Asia' started by pnoeric, Sep 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, John and I are on the AA ORD-PVG flight in November and land in Shanghai at 3:05p. We'd like to jump on a plane heading south and head straight to a beach destination-- ideally being in a hotel room by midnight that day.

The only decent flight options seem to be into BKK and from there, we could get down to Pattaya ("the Waikiki of Thailand!") by the end of the night, or maybe catch a late flight to Phuket and go from there. Getting to Vietnam would be great but we'll have to overnight in HAN or SGN before we can go on to DAD (or on to Hoi An) the next day.

So I looked at the map and realized the Philippines have tons of great beaches, plus I've always wanted to visit. And best of all, there is a direct flight on Philippines Air departing PVG at 4:55p and getting us into Manila at 8:25pm, or a direct Cathay flight getting us in around midnight.

Here's the question: where do I go from there? I keep finding articles about the thousands of beaches in the Philippines and it just makes my head spin. I don't know the country at all but just want a decent beach resort. This is definitely a lay-around-and-chill-out kind of holiday we're looking for. Is there anything close to Manila that fits the bill? Or do we overnight there and proceed to the final destination in the morning?

Thanks for any tips--
    E

2. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Below is a cut and paste from a post I made a few years back OTOB:

Some of my faves after spending several weeks throughout the country:

Boracay: Very beautiful island with an amazing white sand beach and crystal clear water. I spent an entire week scuba diving without doing the same dive twice and would go again in a second. Mostly Filipino vacationers except around the holidays. Good nightlife if you like relaxing on the beach listening to live music. While I don't have specific information about luxury hotels, they are there and you can spend upwards of $400-$500/night.

Pearl Farm: Off the coast of Davao on Samal Island. Nice resort with very clear water and lots of marine life. Somewhat boring in that the only easily accessible nightlife is the outdoor hotel bar but would still make for a few nice days as part of a longer venture to Davao / Mindinao.

Bohol: If you're going to or through Cebu, add a day tour to Bohol. There's a standard tour which includes a boat trip on a beautiful green river, the chocolate hills, tarsiers and a visit to one of the beach resorts. If you have the time, you may want to spend the night at one of the resorts - some looked decent but I didn't see anything luxurious.

Manila: Not so much a fave but you're likely going to pass through anyway. Stay in a nice hotel in Makati or Ortigas, visit the bay front promenade to see a sunset, shop at any one of the many very large shopping malls, and take in some history - Intramuros being pretty cool.

Updated to add the El Nido Resorts on Palawan would be close to the top of my list of beach places to visit.

All require a relatively short, and likely inexpensive flight from MNL.

Sweet Willie and pnoeric like this.
  3. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome, thank you so much for this detailed reply... exactly what I was after.

By the way-- where is your profile photo from? That looks like where I want to be! :)

4. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pearl Farm, outside of Davao.

While it's a beautiful place, I wouldn't consider it a destination in and of itself. It's more of a side trip if you already need to be in Davao.

I'd check out Trip Advisor for Palawan and Boracay and maybe Bohol (Panglao is the resort area) and review the trip reports and photos to see if anything is of interest.

Post back if you have any questions...

pnoeric and Sweet Willie like this.