Just made the switch to HHonors from MR

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by travelingkid1981, Mar 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. travelingkid1981

travelingkid1981 Active Member

Status Points:
    Had a bed bug incident that Marriott decided to call me a liar on and not take me seriously. So, made the switch to Hilton. HHonors is also giving me tier match with 10 stays to Gold!

ContinentalFan and MX like this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get Gold with four stays through the MVP program or zero just by getting the right credit card.

DTWBOB

MX likes this.
  3. travelingkid1981

Status Points:
    Can someone explain the difference between stays and night? Sorry, if that's a stupid question. I can't seem to get a good answer.

4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    A stay can be more than one night -- e.g. if you check in on Monday and check out on Wed. it's one stay, but two nights.

Work around if you're looking for stays is to hotel hop and change hotels each night.

DTWBOB

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    To make the most of your HHonors Gold status you'll need to get a co-branded credit card. If you get the HHonors Citi Reserve visa or AMEX Surpass, you'll automatically and permanently get the HH Gold status for as long as you remain a cardmember in good standing, and you would earn, respectively, 10 or 12 bonus points/$ spent at Hilton properties for which your pay with one of these cards.

Note that getting the co-branded CC is also a cheaper way to get the HH Gold status than to do the 10-stay status match...;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  6. travelingkid1981

Status Points:
    I guess I'm confused by the " stay" vs the " night" seems like the same things. Just worded differently. I don't see the point. Do you want to count stays or night. So to get more nights you change hotels every night. To get stays you stay multiple nights at same hotel. You are still staying nights... So guess I just don't see the point of having both.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A stay consists of one or more eligible nights. They are not the same thing because 10 stays do not necessarily equal 10 nights. For 10 stays to be equal to 10 nights, each stay would have to be 1 night in duration. On the other hand, spending 10 uninterrupted and consecutive nights at the same property would count as just 1 stay.

P.S. For the purpose of elite qualification it is a huge difference, because it could be harder to reach 50 nights than 25 stays to make, e.g., Diamond, or vice versa. One can make Diamond by doing 25 one-night stays, which would be half the required number of nights for qualifying. On the other hand, people who tend to have long stays of, say, 5 nights, could make status after just 10 such stays because they'd reach 50 nights sooner than 25 stays. It depends on one's travel pattern so that having both stays and nights offers added flexibility toward elite qualification. BTW, Hilton Honors also allows one to qualify for elite on base points (120K HH points) or on eligible spend ($12K) -- the only program that offers this third elite qualification option .

I hope that helps...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    kansaskeith likes this.
  8. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYCUA1K is correct, of course. But here's another way of looking at it if it helps you understand. Say I arrive in Wichita on a Monday and leave on a Wednesday. If I stay at the Doubletree the whole time, that counts as ONE stay to my stay total, and two nights to my night total. But if instead I stay at the Doubletree on Monday and then go to the Hilton Garden Inn for Tuesday night, that is TWO stays total (one for the Doubletree and one for the Garden Inn), but also still two nights for my visit to town.

NYCUA1K and WhiteDesert like this.
  9. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    As NYCUA1K wrote above, the two are different ways of hitting the same target (status qualification). Hilton Gold requires 20 stays or 40 nights, so it can be can be achieved by staying 20 individual times in Hilton properties. These 20 individual visits could each be single nights, and thus you could hit Hilton Gold in 20 nights. But those 20 nights cannot be consecutive, unless they are completed at more than one property*. On the other hand, you could qualify for Hilton Gold in a single visit at one property if you spend 40 consecutive nights there. They really aren't the same thing. Qualifying on stays will usually require fewer nights than qualifying on nights (assuming that all of the booked stays add up to less than 40 nights, which of course doesn't have to be the case). Hilton (and most of the larger chains) simply provides multiple ways to achieve status.

*For example, at the Columbus Airport (CMH) in Ohio, there are two Hilton properties (a Hilton Garden Inn and a Hampton Inn) that actually share the same physical parking lot. So one could knock out qualifying for Hilton Gold one of "the hard ways" by booking a one night stay at the HGI, followed by a one night stay at the HI, followed by a one night stay at the HGI, followed by a one night stay at the HI, and repeat the pattern until you complete 20 stays. And you could simply walk across the parking lot to check in each day. This act is perfectly within the Hilton T&Cs. The CMH example is extreme, as there aren't that many property pairs that are so perfectly set up for hopping, but it's not that hard to do in many places around the world. I play this game (in shorter increments) many times throughout the year in order to complete the 30 stays I need to re-qualify for Hilton Diamond.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's even a thread over on the FT Hilton forum of close properties for doing exactly that sort of hopping.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  11. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rule of thumb for stays is a stay requires a check in one day and ends when one checks out whether it is for one night or ten nights, it is only one stay. Four one night stays at different properties will qualify you for the promo. If you find you like Hilton branded hotels, do consider getting the AMEX Hilton Surpass or Citi Reserve credit cards which come with lifetime Gold status as long as you have the card, and both award Diamond status by 40K in annual spend.

12. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, what have you done for me lately applies here. Hopefully HH will fit your needs better than MR. I dropped status with one chain over their corporate indifference, but I will use them when they are the last option and hope you will as well.