Just got my 2018 SE package in the mail...

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by The Lev, Jan 5, 2018.

1. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some observations:
    • Nice "textured" section on the SE card and luggage tags. Million Mile recognition looks nicer this year.
    • Disappointed that the luggage tags now just show my name but not address - not terribly useful anymore if flying on another carrier (is that the intent?).
    • Luggage tag ties have gone back to plastic tag strings but with a ball on one end. This leaves the tag dangling and I suspect it will be easily ripped off checked baggage with a bit of rough handling.
    • Got four MLL passes with vague messaging about them being usable at eligible MLL's - nothing specifies what constitutes an eligible lounge. I am sure these result in many embarrassing situations where people hand out these things and the international lounge gatekeepers turn away disappointed recipients. Would be nice if they at least gave "all access" passes to SE's
    • Various little upgrades again this year from our friends at SPG.

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still waiting for final AQDs to post, so I can make selections. Really, there's no obvious reason why miles and dollars take so long to post. After all, it's an automated process.

londoncalling and The Lev like this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    AQDs finally posted, so SE status secured for 2018. Came down to the wire this year!

One hope for the new FF system is that the posting of miles, dollars and threshold eCerts will be sped up. There is no reason why these take so long in a computerized system. Last summer I visited DBV, and the Croatia Airlines segments posted days ahead of Air Canada's. No obvious reason for this delay.

4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see the 2018 programme details are finally available as a PDF, but still nothing suggesting I have any status at all for 2018. Really, why the suspense?

londoncalling likes this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally today a button on my dashboard inviting me to choose my select privileges. Looking forward to receiving the package in the mail.

6. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow. I had mine weeks ago.
    I saw something today on the altitude website about them offering WIFI as part of the privileges for SE's.
    Beginning in 2018, Air Canada will be proud to become the first airline in North America to offer the option of complimentary Wi-Fi to its most frequent flyers.

[​IMG]
    ACCESS WI-FI IN THE SKY, ON US
    As part of their Select Privileges, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will have the ability to choose a 12-month Gogo® Altitude Plan that will be valid on all Gogo-equipped flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada Rouge. Similarly, Altitude Elite 75K members will be able to choose a 6-month plan.

With the addition of this new Select Privilege for eligible Altitude members, below is the complete list of Select Privileges for Altitude members in 2018:

YULtide likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    You had your status in the bag months ago. I just squeaked in on 30 December.

Yup, it's one of the select privileges, but you'll have to trade it off against 50 eUpgrade certificates or E50K status for a friend or some such thing, 'cause it's one of 5 things amongst which you have to choose 2. I may live to regret it, but I decided not to take the wifi this year. I don't mind being disconnected while I'm in flight. Nice option for people who need to be connected, though.

Funny thing: I chose 50 eUpgrade certs and they've been deposited in my account. The 20 everyone gets as base privileges haven't appeared yet.

8. londoncalling

Status Points:
    WIFI this year is probably not a great privilege if your travels are mostly International. Most of that fleet won't be ready until late this year.

YULtide likes this.
  9. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still waiting for the package to arrive.

londoncalling likes this.
  10. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Wow is all I can say. However, you are SE and your ecerts are in place so no real issue about that I presume.

YULtide likes this.
  11. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ecerts are in place, and several used, and of course the old card is still valid for the rest of the month. But it's getting close to being a problem if I wanted to claim benefits at a Star Alliance partner in March. (Not that this will be an actual problem for me; I won't be doing that until April.) Fortunately I tend not to fly very much in Q1.

Still, hard to believe the process is taking quite this long. Anyone else still waiting, or should I start thinking it was lost in the mail?

12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs Y received her P25K package in the mail today.

Still waiting for my package....

13. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
  14. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Package arrived today. Nice look to the card and the luggage tags!

The Lev likes this.
  16. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still no package since last autumn, when a 50K card came in. Never got the 75K card in October, but that's reflected on my log-in header and on the boarding passes. Will be interesting to see what does or doesn't come in, this spring.

Fear not, I turn them into fridge magnets anyway....

YULtide likes this.
  17. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still no package, alas. Darned good thing that the computer prints my 'status' and zone number on the boarding passes....

Funny thing is that I never had a problem with timely mailings whilst still an SE; now that I am Plebian No. 75, perhaps there is not the same care and concern on the part of whoever holds the contract to mail out cards and tags.

On the other hand, the concierges still are friendly and helpful, although I am clearly now beneath their formal remit.

Go figure, ne?

YULtide likes this.
  18. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    At YVR last night, I noticed a few people with the new luggage tags of various statuses. I like the contrasting red and black of the E75K and even the bronze and black of E50K is pretty striking.

mevlannen likes this.
  19. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:

YULtide likes this.
  20. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    The red/black is nice, indeed. I am beginning to wonder whether AC's fulfilment contractor couldn't cope with the fact that, in my area at least, all mail goes to P.O. boxes. It's disheartening to see how many forwarders will not send items of any sort to P.O. Boxes.

On the bright side, that keeps me from buying needless things on Amazon.

YULtide likes this.
  21. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never did get my 2018 package. At least AC were diligent about sending out my requested replacement card. It arrived in an envelope with my name, and the name and postal code of our village. No address. No post box number.

Postmistress was feeling kindly that day, so she put in one of our post-boxes (we have more than one, for business reasons), anway.

At least 'E75K' is correctly marked on my boarding-passes.

Counsellor and YULtide like this.
  22. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    And in further news of the absurd, this is the year in which (so much for retirement...) I break all personal records of the number of flights and real dollars spent in a year.

Today, August 7th, at 80% on AQD, 89% on AQS, and 29%(!) on AQM.

Nearly all of that in DH3s and Airbusses. I may never be able to walk again, altho' I frequently have the entire J cabin to myself on the Airbusses (in which case the SD generally dumps a towel, a pack of almonds, and a bottle of water in my lap and then spends the whole of the flight selling Pringles in the back cabin). Paid J, I might note (J-lowest, of course, neither I nor my accountants are truly foolish)..

Being left to my own devices does let me settle down to do useful work while the Rocky Mountains roll by underneath.

YULtide likes this.
  23. londoncalling

Status Points:
    "Retirement" is a funny thing. I am only going to fly around 150K miles this year down from around 275K last year. Trips to Europe to see grandchildren are part of that however as there will be 6 trips in total to Europe this year .

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  24. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    6 trips to Europe! I've managed 4 and I thought that seemed like quite a bit. Enjoy the travel!

mevlannen and londoncalling like this.
  25. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, wonder whether (and when) the AC card package will arrive in my P.O. box? Last two years, the packages never made it (although the requested replacement baggage tags did).

I wonder whether I could ask AC to simply send the package to their station office at the closest airport?

This morning, standing at 94 segs and 17.3 kilobucks AQD. Actual spend? More than that, perhaps 22 kilobucks already.

And yes, I am still retired, but somehow in the middle of all that, I have already made fourteen business trips out to the sites (all of which start with feeder segments and end with feeder segments, both ways), as well as two transcon/transborder holiday trips. Not quite as much air travel as back in the day, when it was 150+ segs/year.

Not MM yet, but watching the counter as it heads upward. ^ _ ^

londoncalling and YULtide like this.