Just got AA plat... what does that get me?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by syphlix, Apr 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello there,

I just got AA platinum status thanks to an asia flight + plat challege.

What does this get me other than lounge, dbl miles, and free checked bags?

Is lounge access for aa only? or can i use all oneworld lounges now? also if i'm flying another carrier but theres a oneworld lounge there can i still use it?

Also how do you get upgraded on flights? can i just buy normal coach fares and hope to get upgraded at the gate? Not really sure how that works.

Thanks in advance!

misman likes this.
  2. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well....it does not get you lounge access for domestic US flights....you need to be a member of the Aadmirals' Club for that. Second, it does get you to OneWorld Sapphire level.....see http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/oneworld-status . To be more succint
    Platinum is equivalent to oneworld Sapphire

AAdvantage Platinum® members will be entitled to the following benefits across theoneworld network:​

• Priority check-in at Business Class check-in desks (where available), regardless of the class of service flown.
    • Preferred boarding (board at leisure).
    • Preferred seating (where offered).
    • Priority standby and waitlisting.
    • Entrance to all of the oneworld airlines' Business Class and airport lounges when travelling internationally1, regardless of the class of service flown on that day.
    Each oneworld member airline reserves the right to change its frequent flyer programme rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers and to end their frequent flyer programme in accordance with its relevant frequent flyer programme rules. AAdvantage miles may only be earned on purchased, published fares.​

1 Lounge access is not available when travelling solely on North American itineraries. North American itineraries are defined as travel within or between the USA, Canada, Mexico (with the exception of Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.​

----​

As far as being upgraded on AA flights, you acquire 4 "stickers" per 10k miles flown, which can be used to upgrade your flights one class from 72 hours out. You can also purchase the stickers.

You may wish to look into the following chart for other of your questions:

Mikel likes this.
  3. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is priority standby?

Oh so i can't get upgraded on a flight unless i have those 500mi upgrade things? That's a bummer lol

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just to piggy back on Kaanapali's great summary because I'm not sure it was specifically addressed....

If you're asking whether you can be flying on a carrier that is NOT a Oneworld airline (United, Singapore, Lufthansa, Delta, etc), then the answer is no. You have to be flying on a Oneworld airline to qualify for the lounge access. All other rules indicated above still apply.

Welcome to AA's elite status. PLT is great but the real good stuff is at EXP. Give it a shot. ;)

Mikel likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Standby priority can be a bit complicated at any airline, but there is a guide here that outlines it. The basics in terms of elite status from highest priority to lowest:

1. AAdvantage Executive Platinum
    2. AAdvantage Platinum
    3. AAdvantage Gold
    4. AAdvantage
    5. Non-AAdvantage members
    Those 500 mile stickers are earned as described above but you can also purchase them here for $30 a pop. Buy them online though, at the airport they're $35.

AA is one of the few carriers that doesn't offer unlimited domestic upgrades to all elites, which has it's pluses and minuses.

6. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to flesh out the earlier answers -

Baggage fees are waived.

Double redeemable (not elite-qualifying) miles on AA, AS, and most (not all) Oneworld members, plus a 500-mile minimum EQM/EQP regardless of sector length.

To use 500-mi "sticker" upgrades (they used to be, now electronic) you need to put in a request for the upgrade on AA.com (or phone it in). Note these are only good for domestic (including Canada/Mexico/Caribbean) flights, not longhaul (Europe/Asia/S. America) flights. Plat upgrade requests clear no earlier than 72 hours before flight time (EXPs clear at 100 hrs.)

You can also use 500-mi stickers to upgrade a companion flying with you (same segments etc.)

Mikel likes this.
  7. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    and if you haven't done so already, feel free to visit the friendly folks at our AA Milepoint forum. While we in Newbies will help where we can, the folks there are experts when it comes to AA and can provide more info.

travelingmore likes this.