Just getting into the game, have a few questions

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by matteric1219, Jul 30, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. matteric1219

matteric1219 New Member

Status Points:
    First, i'm excited to get started down this path, my wife and I love to travel but the costs make it tough sometimes.

There are a couple things i'd like to get some advice on:
    1. I saw somebody mention the pre-paid target red card, how is that used to help rack up points? Can you put money on it with a credit card?
    2. We live in Minneapolis, Delta has a monopoly at our airport and their frequent flyer program continues to get worse, what's the best way to rack up Delta miles without breaking the bank? Do they have transfer partners?
    3. What is the best low or no annual fee credit card? We spend roughly 2K per month on our cards.
    4. How can my wife and I tag team the points game to maximize our efforts?
    I really appreciate any help!

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much of a monopoly delta "really" has depends on your travel patterns, even in a market like minneapolis. Where are you looking to travel to?

satman40 and traveltoomuch like this.
  3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    First, I encourage you to broaden your Horizons beyond Delta. If you're willing to make a connection (e.g. in ORD), you'll open a whole bunch more options. And, even if you really want to fly Delta, maybe they're still not the best program to collect miles in. Maybe one of their partners would serve you better. Like Alaska. Or Korean Air.

It's hard to answer without knowing your travel wishes and what categories the spending is in (since many cards have bonuses by category). Amex Everyday has some charms. Chase Freedom has some charms, but far more so when you also have one of Chase's premium cards. And a simple cash back card can be hard be beat for many people: the Fidelity-branded Amex issued by FIA gives you 2% as does CIti Double Cash. The big signup bonuses, though, are typically on cards that carry an annual fee. (What do you consider low? $50? $95?)

If you're going for signup bonuses, both apply for cards, even the same card. e.g. if you decide the United Explorer card is for you, each of you apply for your own, separate accounts.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    satman40 likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    For domestic, if you can book in advance, consider focusing on cash back.

For international, almost everything connects so much less lock in benefit.

Focus first on getting "enough" to redeem in one program, but then diversify.

Think of destonations and ways to get there, rather than going all in on skymiles.

satman40 and traveltoomuch like this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta miles are forever, good thing...

I miss NW, Delta an Amex Card,

I load with Serve, and buy SMGC...forget the Target thing,,,

My guess WN/ SW could serve your needs..

Focus on a trip, and work your plan...

You and your wife can apply for a separate card, and double your miles, you both could also apply for a business card, many businesses are sole proprietors and do not need a business tax ID..

Delta can be a good deal, it is conventent, so is Sourh West...focus on one trip at a time...KISS. The first one is always the hardest..

6. matteric1219

matteric1219 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips everybody! We don't mind connections, we don't have much of a choice. As for annual fee, under $100 is where we'd like to be, our annual spend isn't high enough to justify much more.

I'd prefer cards to rack up points for airfare, that's why we got the SW cards and are almost at the 110,000 points to qualify for the companion pass. We would like to diversify a bit to build toward a trip to Spain or Greece in the not too distant future.

satman40 likes this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA, is a good choice for you...since they partnered with US Air., I think United is also there for you.

No way are you limited ti Delta.,

AA CITI.
    UA CHASE.