Just found out you have 6 months to live. Where to go?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by dhammer53, Nov 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where would you go if you just found out you had 6 months to live?

I always wanted to visit the Seychelles. It was one of the first places I read about in a travel magazine when I just started flying for business.

Where would you go?

dh

Flyer1976, B1BomberVB, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Italy. There would be much food and wine.

Flyer1976, kiwi, adrianors and 4 others like this.
  3. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    South Africa for the natural beauty, wines and wildlife.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another doctor, for a second opinion?

5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amsterdam. (Already been there, but.......) :rolleyes:

marcwint55, Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I truly had only six months to live, I would probably want to spend as much quality time as possible with my family. If they could come with me somewhere, I wouldn't really care where. If they could not go anywhere, I would just want to be around them.

7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! What good is travel in the absence of your loved ones? If you truly had 6 months to live, then you likely have less than 6 months to enjoy life.

Yes! Likely at least 2 more doctors!

B1BomberVB, adrianors, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  8. thesatishk

thesatishk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would think about doing vs going. Decide what are the things I wanted to do and then do it.

Flyer1976, Kalboz, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  9. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would agree with others ... if's family and friends, surrounded by those you love and who love you. As said so many times before, it's not the destination, but the journey. I think for me it would be a trip or destination with family and friends, filled with shared experiences to last a lifetime.

10. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    New Zealand, if my health would still allow the travel at that point. And if it were only my six months left, I'm sure my wife would agree to us taking the very long flights that I'd enjoy, but she doesn't. At our age, we travel together or not at all.

Flyer1976, marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  11. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lake Baikal, Siberia
    Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
    Seregeti / Ngongoro Crater, Tanzania

Seychelles? Try Maldives

Bali. Specifically Ubud.

And to put it all in prespective : Mumbai, India

12. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Vegas? Just kidding.. Right now I guess I would have several places in the list.. if I had to pick only one it would probably be somewhere in Thailand or Fiji.. I sail since I was 10, so I believe that going to a paradise and sailing in crystal clear waters near white sand beaches like there would be the best to do before having to say good bye to world..

marcwint55 likes this.
  13. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're to go??? It would be with the Love ones and to see them Happy that I will be at peace at the End of the journey !!!!!! ;)

14. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Prefer to take my loved ones with me to visit our ancestry country of Ireland. Then perhaps jump off the Cliffs of Moher. Well, not really...I can't stand heights.

marcwint55 likes this.
  15. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes the Cliffs of Moher is something to see! Been there with my wife . ( She is Irish) I didn't jump off but did look around !!!! :p

16. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd probably go visit each and everyone of my relatives. They're all scattered around the planet now.

17. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always said if I hadn't met my wife when I did during my time in the Marines, I would be a hermit in the mountains of Montana or Idaho right now. I have never been there, just the serenity and remoteness I imagine is unreal. The truth is I just crave that feeling you have when you realize how small you are in this beautiful world.

If I could afford it I would take my wife and son, get one of these and do the Pan-American highway with them. (from Alaska to Patagonia, ferry the Darien Gap)

marcwint55 likes this.
  18. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bora Bora for me. Just because it looks so beautiful there.

marcwint55 likes this.
  19. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would do a combo of things - family in First to China to see the Panda bears
    trip to Europe with my young nieces or perhaps a safari
    trip alone to Antarctica, Galapagos and Andes

and my ashes somewhere in Northern Canada (technically, my ashes are going somewhere)

marcwint55 likes this.
  20. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the 'friends & family' suggestions!

Randy Petersen and marcwint55 like this.
  21. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Antarctica, Australian Outback, and back to Yellowstone (probably to jump in a geyser if I only had 6 months left. Gets rid of the where to put the ashes question)

22. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think of the park staff who would at least try to fish out your body?

marcwint55 and Mapsmith like this.
  23. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Antartica

marcwint55 and Mapsmith like this.
  24. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd spend the first three months scuba diving in Hawaii, Australia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Phillipines, and Mexico... and the second three months with my family.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I am a 6-year cancer survivor. I found out in October of 2006 and was told if they hadn't found it when they did, I'd have had maybe 3 months to the point where it would have been untreatable and 6 months beyond that left to live. Kinda put things in perspective and I've traveled a hell of a lot more and done things I never would have imagined since then. My boyfriend at the time planned a trip to London and Paris for March 8th, 2007. That was the day I was going to find out if I was in remission or if I needed more treatment. He knew both those places were on my "bucket list" and that if I got bad news from the doctor I may not get another chance after that where I was well enough to travel. Thankfully the news was good and we went from my doctor's office to SFO and BA to LHR.

It sounds cliche, but live every day as though it may be your last, and always hug your loved ones extra tight whether you're going across town or across an ocean.

Gargoyle, B1BomberVB, Denro and 9 others like this.
  25. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like Timfrost, I am a cancer survivor. However, when I was facing my diagnosis, I had about 3 weeks to wait between when I found the lump to when my "urgent" tests were scheduled. FL was in a tort reform fight and the radiologists were in a slight strike. I had really wanted to see the Northern Lights and had been looking at a trip to Iceland. I scheduled the trip for the weekend before my tests (Jan '06).

Unfortunately, it was overcast for the entire trip and there were no northern lights. I did enjoy Iceland, though. I arrived back on Tuesday afternoon. I had a diagnostic mammogram and Ultrasound on Wednesday, biopsy on Friday and cancer diagnosis on Monday. After a battery of tests, I had Stage III breast cancer and it was aggressive. It is not an uncommon diagnosis for women who are under 40.

There was no time to schedule trips during most of the year, but we were able to see several shuttle launches, including a night launch. Those were incredible and I had been trying for years to see one.

After that, I have been trying to work through my very long list. While the type of cancer that I had has a low reoccurrence rate after 5 years, you just never know.