Just Floating…

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by NileGuide, Nov 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. [​IMG]
    Sunset on The Island by Renate Ruge
    Sydney in the extreme. Sun, views, sea, cocktails. All aboard the floating island lounge bar. By Renate Ruge
    You’ve got to love a place that keeps getting the same wistful answer from locals. “Ah yes I have heard about it but haven’t had a chance to go there yet. Sounds great though.” This is the green-with-envy response I keep getting to my, “Have you been to the floating island bar yet?” (Sydney’s super exclusive on-water venue and the place to be this summer.)
    Cheekily I am smug in the knowledge that not only have I been, but am happy to report that it’s nothing short of brilliant. Sydney in the extreme. Sophisticates hop on water taxis from Woolloomooloo wharf or rose bay and speed across the harbour to the white wooden pontoon. White cabanas, white sunshades and waiters all in white uniforms only add to the scorching hotness of the place.
    After a welcome cocktail and a lazy stretch out on one of four large day beds, you can swing in the whicker chair; dip in the pool (a square of inflatables in the sea). There are showers to rinse off the salt water before kicking back with a beer and a game of backgammon in some shade, order a few nibbles (pizza, chicken skewers and basic pasta is on offer for surprisingly reasonable prices). Or you could get all tropical with it and soak up the sun with a piña colada served in a coconut shell.
    [​IMG]
    Tunes on the water by Renate Ruge
    By day a guitarist strums some tunes and sings, his soulful notes carrying
    across the water to passing speedboats. As the flaming sun sets over the
    Bridge and the Opera House, the dancing begins and the DJ spins until the last water taxi to shore leaves the pontoon and partying behind.
    The brainchild behind the bar is Julian Tobias who is hosting parties and
    events on the island all summer.
    Rumour has it that come New Year’s Eve this place will be the hot ticket in
    town with its outrageously good vantage spot for the fireworks, Japanese canapés from Toko and Dom Perignon champagne.
    For more, visit: www.theislandsydney.com.au
    [​IMG]
    Welcome cocktails by Renate Ruge

Continue reading...