Just finished big MR and qualified for AC*E

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by akide, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. akide
    Original Member

akide Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just finished a three week mileage run/vacation,
    Booked the www.cheapoair.com deal last year
    LAS-YYZ-HKG-YYZ-LAS for roughly $600 USD
    did this itinerary twice back to back
    Also in the middle, did a Aeroplan redemption for a business class flight on Thai Airways from HKG-BKK-MEL-BKK-HKG to visit Melbourne for the Australian Open.
    Our first leg hkg-bkk on the Boeing 747, the number 4 engine would not start up and we were sitting at the gate for over 2 hours, thankfully, we were served a nice dinner in business class, and everything was all swell, we had a 1.5 hr connection to catch in BKK which we missed, and it was the last flight of the day going to MEL from BKK, Thai Airways provided us with a hotel stay at Novotel by the airport as well as breakfast, after a 3 hour sleep we were off to MEL.
    An enjoyable 8 days in Melbourne with the summer weather, and great tennis action.
    On the way back, I ran into Rafael Nadal at the Melbourne airport's gift shop, the day after he lost a tough match to David Ferrer.
    Once I got back to to Hong kong, the journey of the MR continued, and we were off to YYZ, LAS, then YYZ again, then LAS, then YYZ, HKG, YYZ, LAS, and then i added a one way back home to Toronto via YVR.
    I accumulated about 43k Air Canada Status miles, and i'm just waiting for the Sunday sweep to change my aeroplan status to Elite.
    A wonderful trip and I was able to obtain Elite status for about $1500 Canadian dollars! Here's hoping for another cheapoair deal to Asia!

SensFan, Exit Row, janyyc and 4 others like this.
  2. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow, doing a MR like that twice back-to-back!!

enjoy your new E status!! [​IMG]

3. akide
    Original Member

akide Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks, ya when i got back to toronto for the last time just before going back out to vegas, then vancouver then back to toronto, i was thinking of ditching those 3 legs and going home..
    but a true MR'er would never throw away all those miles and with a rental car and hotel already paid for in Vegas, I just had to go back !.. a great adventure, and I'm not looking to the first day back to work tomorrow (monday)... gasp!

FriendlySkies likes this.
  4. wow great price, mr experience and something ac wouldn't want to hear about! :)

akide likes this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow - a true MR :) Well done and congratulations on making E already -- so how many more of those for SE? [​IMG]

6. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats! That's an intense set of MRs! I miss that fare... it was a good one, I hadn't realized it was bookable for tickets in 2011... I could have done a comparison of dim sum offerings in LAS, YYZ, YVR and HKG :)

7. akide
    Original Member

akide Silver Member

Status Points:
    not going to go for SE, although with that cheapoair.com fare, with a little planning 9 months ago, it would have been something that I would have considered..
    Also purchased a pair of Bose QuietComfort 15 noise cancellation headphones, because my first long leg yyz-hkg, there was quite a number of screaming babies which made the 15 hr flight seem like a 24 hr flight..
    after picking up the headphones, wow the MR went quite smoothly!

8. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP,E in a flash and not going for SE.Confused

9. akide
    Original Member

akide Silver Member

Status Points:
    probably not going to go for SE, don't have too much travelling plans this year, other then a small short hauls the next few months, and a carribean getaway in September.
    I'm happy with my E for now =)

10. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Happy with E,for now,will be prophetic [​IMG]

11. Nice deal to get 2 years of status with AE!

I'm sure someone has done 100% MR to get to SE, but they would really have to be crazy :p or perhaps just like the "Super" prefix.

12. wwtsang

wwtsang Silver Member

Status Points:
    congrats on the quick status achievement, how was the meeting with Nadal? did he take some quick pictures and sign some autographs or was the swarm too big and there was an entourage, i don't follow tennis as much but from an profile interview of him i saw during my long haul on AC he seems very nice :)

13. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds fun!

14. akide
    Original Member

akide Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've met Nadal back when he was still a lesser known, and he's still the same guy even though he's not famous all over. he took a few quick pics with the gift shop employees, and some autographs, not much of a swarm at all, and he had a entourage of about 5 other people.
    all in all a great vacation, getting early Elite status, and able to use my points to redeem a business class trip to the land down under!

15. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    AC*E for under $1,500. Dibs on the first "bottom-feeder" comment. [​IMG] (seriously, don't throw stuff at me...)

16. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats. Enjoy E as much as possible!

17. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    Great MR. Welcome to E. I hope you have good plans for your eCerts.

18. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, try using them on the way to Super Elite! :D

19. enjoy E

janyyc likes this.
  20. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lucky you! When I went in 2008 all I ran into was one of the Jensen brothers on my way back in LAX.