Just ask?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by nolamom, Apr 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. nolamom

nolamom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a UA flight from LAX-IAH-CUN on Sunday. I have zero miles toward premier right now -- although I will earn on the outbound of this trip (return economy saver was purchased with miles.) i have about 5K in MP miles showing in the account and could probably dig up a few more.

Is it worth a phone call to see if I can get a seat upgrade from LAX-IAH gratis or with my meager miles?

It is unlikely I would use (nor do I have) 25K miles + $125 for an upgrade, as per their website. Is it just pure naivete to think they give away anything for free?

Is there another way to ask UA besides their standard reservation phone line? Should I try in person when at the gate?

Thanks, in advance.

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you inquiring about an upgrade without elite status?

3. nolamom

nolamom Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most likely not going to happen. It's worth asking at the gate but doubt they'd give you an upgrade before the elites. Unless you get a flight with very little elites and a lot open F seats then sure.

However, it's not impossible since I was able to get an upgrade on SEA-ORD which has a good number of elites but I did have *S on another carrier.

nolamom likes this.
  5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless coach is oversold and there's no higher-status people on the plane, your chances are basically zero. (Though, if this is the case, they'll be selling upgrades for discounts.) Never hurts to ask, though.

6. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto what desamo said. If you don't have status, miles or the cash needed for an upgrade, you're out of luck.

Once in a blue moon, UA might need to bump people to the front for operational reasons, but even then they're going to try to bump the status people up first. Finally, if it's a light load and seats in F are still empty, they'll go empty. UA will not normally bump up non-status passengers just to fill the seats.

Sure, you could ask at the gate, but the question is more likely going to just annoy the gate agent since you don't have the miles/cash to upgrade.

aptraveler likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points: