[Jun 7, 2013] CHICAGO Area Russian Dinner Milepoint Meetup (Northbrook, IL)

Discussion in 'Meetups' started by Sweet Willie, Apr 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

CHICAGO Area Russian Dinner Milepoint Meetup
Start Date: Jun 7, 2013 07:00 PM
End Date: Jun 7, 2013 09:00 PM
Time Zone: America/Chicago -05:00 CDT

500 Anthony Trail
Northbrook, IL 60062

Posted By: Sweet Willie

Confirmed Attendees: 4
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 4
  1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had lunch the other day with legalalien at Maestro's Grill in Northbrook, enjoyed a few delicious Russian dishes, so hey, let's put together a Russian Dinner Meetup.

The dinner will be held on a Friday June 7 (at 7pm) as the restaurant has live music.

The menu will consisit of authentic Russian dishes, prepared so that all get to sample each dish (family style).

For those that live in the city, those of us driving will pick up from Metra Northbrook station and seeing as I live near ORD/Rosemont, I could also pick up from the Rosemont Blue Line stop if this works better for some. (of course a ride back would be in order as well). So fear not city dwellers, venture out into the scary burbs:eek:;)

Attending:
    legalalien
    tommy777 + 1
    Cdnblue
    Willie +4 from TOBB

2. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if I'm one of +4 from TOBB, but I just replied yes to be safe.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  3. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I'm in. I've got it noted. I'll be driving in from downtown (where I live). Thanks for arranging.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    you were not but I had a feeling you'd be coming:D
    glad you can make it!

5. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello fellow Milepointers,

Thanks for expressing interest in the Russian Dinner DO. It looks like there will be a few of you sampling Russian food for the first time and/or visiting a Russian-American restaurant for the first time. Not unusual for this crowd of course - we wouldn't be frequent travelers if we didn't like to experience new things - but I must warn you: you might get hooked.

You see, traditionally a Russian-American restaurant is not a place to have a quick meal before going to bed. A dinner in a restaurant has long been a relatively rare treat for many in Russia and Soviet Union, so when people did get to go, dinners turned into all-night affairs with elaborate meals, live music and dancing.

Maestro Grill is a quiet lunch place during the day, but on nights and weekends it gets transformed into a more "traditional" place. The Friday of the Russian Dinner DO is not an exception. We will have a table reserved from 7pm until 1am (possibly later,depending on how well things go :)) and a set menu will be provided family style and won't leave you hungry.

The cost is $70 per person, inclusive of tax and gratuity.

It sounds like a lot of money, but it's also a very good value for what you get:

1. A wide selection of cold appetizers, including shrimp cocktail, smoked salmon, cold cuts, pickled veggies and salads, plus some less common dishes like beef tongue and, of course, traditional Russian/Ukranian salo.

2. A hot appetizer course with Russian blini, varenyky and pelmeni. See this Wikipedia page for details on these and other dishes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_dishes.

3. Main course, served family style. Dishes will include chicken, salmon, kabobs and grilled veggies, as well as sides. We'll make sure a vegetarian option is also available, if requested.

4. Dessert.

5. Soft drinks, including compote, soda, tea and coffee.

6. Plenty of alcohol. A champagne toast will greet us upon arrival. The restaurant is BYOB, so I will be in charge providing a supply of Russian vodka, wine and beer. You are welcome to bring something for everyone to share, too, especially if you would like to ensure availability of your poison of choice.

7. Hours of fun: live music (mostly Disco/Europop and Russian folk, I'm afraid), dancing and people watching.

Finally, we need to commit to a certain headcount in advance. Since I will be on the hook for the entire amount, if you are interested in attending, please forward your $70 payment via Paypal by Monday, June 3 (PM for Paypal details).

Please let me know if you have any dietary restrictions. We're looking forward to seeing you at the Russian Dinner DO!

Sweet Willie and perryplatypus like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I see a guy like the below, I'd be thrilled !:)
    (by the way, thanks for the detailed post, I'm looking forward to this dinner !)
    cossack.jpg

icurhere2 likes this.
  7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since i have to go NYC-WAS anyway figure why not just spend some extra avios and go NYC-ORD-WAS with an overnight. What would my transportation options be to get from the airport to the event? Would I be able to either hitch a ride with someone or get a bus or train?

Sweet Willie likes this.
  8. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    SweetWillie offered to pick up attendees at Rosemont CTA, which is one stop from ORD. Maybe he'll swing by the terminal.

Alternatively, depending on your arrival time you can take Metra (suburban train) to Wheeling or Buffalo Grove station, where I would pick you up.

I'm sure there will be someone driving back, too.

Cab fare between Northbrook and O'Hare is $30-$35.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay...time to book my ticket! Will be fun, and it's also my birthday on the 8th, so we'll party in the to the night. How do I go about paying you legalalien?

Also any recommendations for the best way to get from MDW to the OHare area? I'm flying in to MDW (on WN) and then flying out the following morning from ORD.

legalalien likes this.
  10. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    CoachUSA operates bus service between MDW and ORD; $23 each way. Alternatively, you can take CTA Orange line to the city and then change to Blue line to O'Hare. That will cost $2.50.

11. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I'm getting in early in the day and have tons of time, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing :D...thanks for the heads up on the CTA routing.

12. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you take a break longer than 2 hours between lines, it will no longer count as a transfer, so the cost will be $4.50. ;) Enjoy Chicago.

13. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up.

14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes I did.

legalalien, I'm curious how you are getting to/from the dinner, are you driving or taking alternate transportation?
    I ask as I'm curious will vodka be flowing like a traditional Russian meal, if so, I'm not so sure I'll want to drive & will probably split a taxi with those coming from the ORD area.

15. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Looks great. Can't wait to go! Igor, there's food for folks who don't eat meat, right? Fish and such?

Please add Melinda to the mix

16. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. Every course will have vegetarian options and there will be a grilled salmon main course, plus several seafood appetizers, including - just for you Tommy - Norwegian Herring.

Ok, I can't guarantee that the herring will, in fact, be from Norway. But there will be herring. ;)

tommy777 likes this.
  17. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. I plan on bribing my spouse into serving as a designated driver.

18. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Beautiful. Looking forward to it. As you know, the fish is not for me :p

19. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    We'll feed you salo then.

20. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    bring it

21. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guys, I'm driving in from downtown Chicago so can bring anyone who needs a ride from a downtown location to the event or back if necessary. I'm located in River North.

Sweet Willie and legalalien like this.
  22. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed!
    nice offer, as date gets a bit closer we'll figure out the ride situation, there does seem to be some overlap and I would like to drink if possible.

23. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally I can make one these... but I am going to NY for the weekend that Fri :(

Sweet Willie likes this.
  24. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:

Three words: SDC. ;)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  25. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    tempting... I haven't exactly booked my NY ticket but don't really want to go in Sat AM, but it may happen. That and I was planning on having a layover in LA first..

Sweet Willie likes this.