Juicing your mileage rewards by using gift cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by MrPiggy, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MrPiggy
    Original Member

MrPiggy Active Member

Status Points:
    Most mileage junkies are familiar with using mileage earning credit cards to get miles when buying stuff but you can combine the mileage earning power of your credit card by buying Visa/MasterCard and American Express gift cards through cash back websites and then using those gift cards to make your purchase.

Cashback can range from 1% to 3% depending on the type of gift card purchased and the cash back website used to click through to make the purchase. Examples of cash back websites where you can do this include Big Crumbs (www.bigcrumbs.com), Fat Wallet (www.fatwallet.com) and My Deals and Coupons (www.mydealsandcoupons.com).

Be aware that gift cards can't always be used at the same locations you can use a regular credit card, view the details at each gift card website before ordering. Also be aware that gift cards will not work with some Internet merchants unless you first register the card in your name.

joesmoe likes this.
  2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the cashback sites also have cashback for Groupons -- which can multiply your dollars. Just got a $20 Barnes & Noble gift certificate for $10 on Groupon, plus 6% cashback from Fat Wallet plus miles on my AA VISA that I used at Groupon.

travelingmore likes this.
  3. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    nice. I picked up a couple of the $20 amazon cards they had for $10 the other day.

Now if i could just find a way to get in 100 times on the offer instead of 2 or 3.

4. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a company in Australia (Dick Smith Electronics) that has a bonus deal with Amex to give an extra 5 MR points per $ spent. Registration has closed but this is valid until June for those who have registered. The big kicker with this is that you can earn the points by buying their gift cards which you can then use in an associated major supermarket chain.
    At a personal level this means we earn an extra 2000 (or so) points per week spending the same amount that we previously spent.
    It works for me!

5. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too bad I'm in the US, I'd have to buy alot of groceries to cover the mileage of a ticket there...

Nice find though for the Aussies out there.

6. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    The added bonus at personal level is I have found a couple of people who get me to buy (they pay) gift cards for them each week.

joesmoe likes this.
  7. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    My suggestion is that we should refrain from posting referral codes. They lead to long threads with little incremental value to the reader.

One should post a deal because s/he wants to share a good deal with the community, not because it's a good deal for the poster.

I realize that this is a big YMMV.

8. xp0
    Original Member

xp0 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes nice indeed, would be good to have something like that here

9. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also wanted to share another way to profit from other gift cards (not the Amex/Visa sort of ones). If you are spending with a card that offers more points/miles for spending in certain categories like grocery stores .... you can grab a gift card for some sure fire spending that is in a category that offers less points/miles (like home depot or dinner out) .... also as a money saving tip - you can buy gas gift cards for places like BP at your grocery store, pay with your credit card and then get the gas at the cheaper cash rate (for stations that charge more when you pay with credit) when you actually pump it.

penguin085, nomflyer, Toula and 3 others like this.
  10. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps referral codes could go in a SPAM or conga-line thread? Ponzi schemes are productive, right [​IMG]?

11. Astrophy
    Original Member

Astrophy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could just limit a referral to your signature. Rebate sites can be a great way to save on hotel rooms while not forfeiting nights/stay and points earned.

12. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha, I ordered 25 of them. Got 1. $10 off is $10 off!

13. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This just reminded me of something... While in Australia I signed up for Qantas Frequent Flyer rewards by shopping at Woolworths supermarket: http://www.woolworths.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/website/woolworths/everyday-services

What US based super markets give the same opportunities?

I remember a bunch of years ago the local super market in New Jersey: ShopRite offered Continental or United miles, don't remember which... are there any other incentives for grocery shopping nowadays?

14. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
  15. geoffco
    Original Member

geoffco Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reminds me of my experience 3 years ago, buying $2500 of appliances at Sears with 25 $100 Sears gift cards that I bought across the parking lot at Krogers.

16. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    NIce!

17. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    that's a great idea that I haven't thought of before... wonder if Gulf offers gift cards, its typically the cheapest gas station around where I live.

18. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    also, places like Dunkin Donuts often offer 20% bonus on their gift cards... get miles and get more out of your money.

19. mrpickles
    Original Member

mrpickles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another trick is at iDining restauraunts that pay higher points mid week than on weekend, buy a gift card at the restaurant on a Mon or Tues when they issue higher points per dollar, then redeem the gift card on the weekend when they dont issue points.

JohnDeere19, jwsky, JudyJFLA and 2 others like this.
  20. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you get the gift card on ebay for a discount, you can double dip it with ebay cashback and ebay bucks

21. MrPiggy
    Original Member

MrPiggy Active Member

Status Points:
    And you can buy eBay gift cards at the grocery store where many credit cards offer higher cash back.

Also check out PlasticJungle.com for a great place to buy and sell gift cards.

22. qbrain
    Original Member

qbrain Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is stacking considered juicing? Example: I used my SPG Amex to purchase a supercertificate from giftcertificates.com through the AA shopping portal, paying 3 miles/dollar spent on the supercertificate at the cost of $1.95 shipping and handling for the certificate. Next used the supercertificate to purchase 10 Pottery Barn gift cards on giftcertificates.com, and by using the supercertificate avoided about $40 in shipping and handling fees. Finally, I purchased the $1000 item from Pottery Barn going through the AA shopping portal, earning another 3 miles/$ spent, but used the gift certificates to pay the bill.

In AA miles, 1.25 from Amex + 3 from GiftCertificates.com + 3 from Pottery Barn = 7.25 miles/$

Although I used AA in this example, most airline programs have shopping portals similar to AA's, and thus this should be possible with several programs.

23. My store only goes up to $100 for gift cards. Does yours go higher?

24. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard that there have been troubles lately with non-delivery or fraud on gift cards purchased on eBay, so make sure to use a 100% positive feedback eBay seller with plenty of feedback.

25. FlashBack
    Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many stores go higher.