Juggling Chase United MileagePlus Explorer, Chase Ink Bold, and Amex Hilton 65,000 offers.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by merice107, Nov 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today I am going to apply for some cards for my wife: Chase United MileagePlus Explorer, Chase Ink Bold, and Amex Hilton 65,000 offer. I just did my AOR last week and got these. Today is exactly 90 from my wife's last app (9/3 SPG Amex and US Air MstrCrd). I would like to do all three cards today, however, I needed to call the reconsideration line for my United because it had still been within 6 months (5 months and 2 weeks) since I got my last Chase personal card, the BA Visa. 6 months from that application for my wife would be December 5th.

The other curveball is that I have not received confirmation yet that Chase is matching the 55,000 offer for my United card... I sent in a screen shot on Wednesday, but the response back was that the message got forwarded to the correct department and I will be receiving a response within 7 business days. If I can't get the offer matched, then I am not going to do the United card. They gave me a number to call if I have any questions (1-800-436-7927). Does calling hurt my chances of getting the offer matched?

So my questions are these:

1. Do I call the number to (hopefully) confirm the matched offer and apply for all three today (assuming I would be able to get the offer matched on my wife's card as well?
    2. Do I call the number to (hopefully) confirm the matched offer and apply for the Ink and Amex today, and then wait until 12/5 to apply for the united? Would waiting even longer for the United hurt the chances of that card (my wife's) getting the offer matched?
    3. Do I not call the number about confirming my 55,000 offer (because calling would hurt my chances?) and apply for the Ink and Amex. Then while waiting for 12/5, I'll here back from Chase to determine if it is even worth applying.
    4. Not call the number about confirming the 55,000, and take my chances on all 3. I'll call Chase reconsideration line (since it is within 6 months of my last personal. And then I'll take my luck that they will not only match the offer for my card, but also my wife's.

I know people on here always say it depends on the amount of risk you are willing to take. But I've been only doing this since June. Based off of the experiences of some of you more veteran members here, what are your thoughts and opinions?

2. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:

merice107 likes this.
  3. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with malikguy. If it was me, I'd call on something like this. The sooner the better. The farther away from the UA 55k offer you get the less chance of having them match it for your wife's card (would be my slightly educated guess). As malikguy said, you want to do all the cards on the same day to avoid the other banks from seeing your credit hits.

Good luck and certainly let us know how it turns out. I gave up on the 55k offer as it wasn't showing up for me and didn't consider the screen shot match until reading your threads in the last week.

I went with the AirTran card instead as I'm a bit short on Chase cards to apply for. Plus it's prob going away soon. I'm hoping to find availability to fly to Aruba, Jamaica, Bahamas, etc using those 2 flights since its the same cost (credit wise) as a domestic flight on AirTran. The key seems to be finding the availability.

malikguy and merice107 like this.
  4. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called yesterday three separate times. Each time they said they forwarded my request to the marketing department and I should hear within 7 business days. The last guy said he forwarded the request to his supervisor to try to get it moving faster, and that he would call me back by Thursday. Even if I only get the 30,000 I guess that it still better than nothing. I shouldn't get too greedy :)

Anybody have any other numbers that I could try calling?

5. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may have a few special numbers for you but I'm in Chicago ATM. I'll see if I can find them for you when I get back to Dallas. ;)

merice107 likes this.
  6. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'm a Chicagoan so I hope you like our nice "winter" weather at the moment!

malikguy likes this.
  7. AJTrenkle

AJTrenkle Active Member

Status Points:
    Do you have a strong case to get them to match the United offer? For safety sake, I would wait and do the next churn until you find that out, as a previous poster said, you don't want the company seeing a scattershot of apps across several different days. It seems to be priority number one. Waiting a few days shouldn't hurt you unless I missed something.

8. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The OP is trying to get the 55k offer he has a screenshot of matched on his personal app for the 30k. He wants to see if he can get that matched before having his wife apply for the 30k offer in hopes of matching her to the 55k offer as well. If he can't get matched to the 30k offer, I believe he'll have his wife go after a different card as the 30k offer isn't that great.

At this point, I think he's planning to do all the apps for his wife on the same day based on not wanting a scattershot of apps across several days as you mentioned.

9. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The weather was beautiful. I enjoyed it and just flew back last night. Here are the numbers I promised. I usually call them for high level issues on my accounts, but most of them are more credit related rather than program related, but they still may be able to help. Good luck!

Lending Services (8a-10p EST)
    (888) 609-7805
    (800) 219-0015

merice107 likes this.
  10. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried to get an answer from Chase before 11/30 but did not succeed (I will find out this week). I took the risk and had my wife apply for the same three cards I did the week before (Ink Bold, Unite MileagePlus, Amex HHilton). Our AORs are a week offset because I previously waited to do her AOR that included the SPG so I could refer her for an additional 5,000. It worked out to exactly 90 days from that to the 30th in order to get the 65,000 Hilton HHonors Amex (it went back to 40,000 on 12/1). I did everything on the 30th like the previously mentioned reasons. I immediately also sent a secure message to Chase for my wife's United card. Although it will suck if we both don't get the higher offer, I guess I should be thankful to get anything at all. This is the time of year to be thankful anyways right?;).

Mikus33 likes this.
  11. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks malikguy!

malikguy likes this.
  12. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Data point/Update: Just got a confirmation that both my wife and I will be getting the offer matched for the 55,000 (technically 65000) offer. I sent in the screen shot for both.

malikguy, Mikus33 and boondr like this.
  13. StartInSanDiego

StartInSanDiego Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since the United 55/65 offer is available at the brick and mortar branches, those of us near a branch office can just go in and get the offer. The offers are by no means dead.

But... what if.... you called a branch and had teller or branch manager fill out the application on line for you? In all my reading about this card, I haven't heard this come up yet as an option.

merice107 and Mikus33 like this.