JPA creates new cabin interiors for American Airlines

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sobore, Apr 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.designweek.co.uk/news/jp...teriors-for-american-airlines/3034368.article
    [​IMG]

JPA London has designed the cabin interiors for American Airlines’ new fleet of Boeing 777-300ER planes, which are set to roll out over the next two years.

JPA has worked on a complete cabin redesign for the new fleet, across seats, interiors and working on all trims and finishes.
    The work covers the First Class, Business Class and Main Cabin sections, and JPA has also developed designs for a self-service bar - claimed to be the first for any US airline - and the galley.

http://www.designweek.co.uk/news/jp...teriors-for-american-airlines/3034368.article

Aktchi, PedroNY, wrxmom and 3 others like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    These are the same mockups as presented with the new 777 announcement.

iolaire and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There have been some critical comments like The Wandering Aramean http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewa...the-new-american-airlines-777-300er-interior/ some positive ones, like Ben http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemi...77-300er-cabins-including-new-business-class/

Oddly several comment that the new AA business class seating is now competitive with CX. Anybody who has flown the new CX herringbone configuration can see the AA seating is far superior with storage space, area for food and drink, etc, that is more spacious than the new CX. Really, F seems to be updated more than changed, and that's fine with me. I do not mind the more open layout even though the suites of EK and SQ do attract me enough that I pay for them.

Economy does not look nice, but it never does. I hope I do not fly in that or any other long-haul economy. That is not a pleasing experience, I suspect.

Gaucho, sobore and TheBeerHunter like this.
  4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL +1:p

jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  5. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm just curious when the 773 will begin service, some of the staff in Rio de Janeiro swore to me that will be next july whereas the official channel says december!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is still set for DFW-GRU in December AFAIK, with JFK-GIG to probably be next July. There is regular rumor they'll add more 773's as they have been doing.

One decently-placed AMR friends said they're expecting to switch all the GIG flights to 773's during 2013, including both the MIA flights. The same guy told me they're preparing a pitch for ORD-GIG. I have seen precisely zero officially about such things so I have no idea whether he was drinking too much batida or actually knew what he was talking about. of course, I hope he's correct. GIG-ORD-NRT would be a nice choice for me.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Many have learned a long time ago that you should take the rumors passed on by staff with a big spoonful of salt. ;)

Also, which official channel said GIG was a route? I only have seen GRU and LHR mentioned.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    GRU and LHR were, as you have said before, announced as the routes to be the launch routes for the -300ER. IIRC AMR now has nine of these on order. No official source, AFAIK, has opined on the routes to follow LHR and GRU. Thus, if that is true, we are just speculating on what might well be next. If all remains stable it seems probable that AMR will continue to reply on CX, JL, QF, BA and IB for their areas.

That leaves the fortress region as LA, with the LATAM official alliance choice being the last large piece in the puzzle, though most informed commentary suggests they'll be in OW. The LATAM plans are aggressive too, with roughly 150 A320 on order (the exact number seems to be fluctuating because of merger questions, but that will probably be cleared up in the next few weeks). In addition Lan has 32 B787 on order and has admitted that they're negotiating for the A380. The huge domestic Southern Cone fleet of Latam will certainly act as feeders to AA for North America, expected to grow not least because Brazil and Chile are negotiating for US Visa Waiver which will make the market grow even more than the 44% rise in US visas granted in Brazil in 2011. Not to overstate the region, but for AA, already the largest in the region, Visa Waiver will unleash a torrent of new movement. That has been officially acknowledged by many parties. reasonably enough, official comments about new upguaging and new flights will mostly wait for official government announcements.

All of that is why I believe that the rumors have a firm basis in fact. I also do not expect to see major changes announced until further visa easing is announced. The two new US Consulates for Porto Alegre and Belo Horizonte will undoubtedly spawn new flights from those cities although neither is likely to get anything larger than the 767's that are AA mainstays in the region.

Eloy Fonseca Neto and sobore like this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly, rumors are starting on some of the usually online locations that AA will be making a groundbreaking new route announcement soon. I'd suspect another South America route isn't what's being suggested.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:

ORD-GIG would excellent for me as my top destination is Seattle, WA!!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither would I. None of the discussions in this thread are anything like groundbreaking. OTOH, there are nine confirmed 773ER. Some of them will go to new long routes. I wonder what would actually be "groundbreaking"?

12. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think that AA should be more clear about this! I, for example, am waiting for a definition for december so I can be a part of this historic inauguration! If they don't make an official announcement soon, I won't be able to hold my agenda to benefit them!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking AA itself probably doesn't even have concrete dates yet. And I'm also willing to bet that AA will sell out that first flight, so no benefit lost with or without you. ;) I can certainly see wanting to be on the flight though!

Maybe you can start a thread petitioning AA to give away a seat on the new 777, like JL did for their BOS-NRT flight on the new 787 for the MegaDO.

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OT post that perhaps reflects a part of the DNA makeup of those of us that post on these boards day in and day out….

One the one hand, my friend jbcarioca posts a very true statement above about the fact that Economy never looks good...

Having said this, and in reference to the DNA makeup that all us fflyer junkies probably share… when I look back at my love story with airplanes and flying, I cant help but remember my days as a horribly spoiled brat international investment banker that would never have been caught dead in Steerage. I was actually the kind of flyer that would have thrown fits from time to time if I was not upgraded to F when on a J ticket (I had top tier status on various carriers and had all the usual perks) … I was this kind of a person for almost 10 years.

Where does the DNA reference kick in….? Well, despite my blue blood premium flyer pedigree of almost 10 years, I’m living proof that there is life after going back to “the back of the bus”…. My experience of the last years tells me that it is possible to survive long haul economy travel after you have been experiencing only the best for a very long time. When it all started (ie. the suffering in coach), I didn’t think it was possible, but considering the last time I flew in F was a little over 6 years ago (for my honeymoon), I’ve now been doing cattle class for so long that I’m back to enjoying flying like when I was a penny-pinching university student. I guess my love for flying can do more than the discomfort & claustrophobia that you suffer on a 10+ hour flight in a can of sardines, but if even a long haul AA flight manned by Prison Matrons I’m about to take next week is enough to get me smiling.... then my only possible conclusion is that enjoying flying is a natural part of my DNA – no matter what the crircumstances.

Of course, changes & circumstances in life also add new perspective and can make amazing changes in priorities and levels of relevance/importance. In my case, another huge factor is that my flying is enhanced by the thought that those miles sitting in Purgatory will help me take the kids to Disneyland sometime early next year... just the thought of the sparkle in the eyes of my son and my little girl when we tell them for Xmas that we will be visiting Mickey Mouse in LA in February will make all the flying in coach I will do in steerage seem like Krug and Caviar on Singapore Airlines…

Aktchi, ChicagoEric and jbcarioca like this.
  15. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to doo that, but I don't know how!!! Help me David!!! ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME inaugural flights usually come with connections, typically business connections with the carrier. Knowing the station manager helps too.

17. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking forward to finding out how many F and J seats will be on the 777-300ER.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    So these new layouts are only on 10 planes? Are there plans to have all 777-300s with these new layouts by 2014? That would be great.

Cheers,

PedroNY

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They're being delivered with the new interiors.

jbcarioca likes this.