Joint Do's?

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Dovster, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be foolish to deny that, at least for the foreseeable future, many people who post on MilePoint also post on FlyerTalk. Given that, is there any reason why someone planning a Do can not announce it on both forums and invite posters from each?

Personally, I would not be thrilled if someone I know and like who has decided to restrict his posting to only one of the two forums will miss a Do I will be attending simply because he didn't know about it.

(Incidentally, I am posting this same question on FlyerTalk.)

lisamcgu, kiwi and Skyvillager like this.
  2. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Adding FTers seems to defeat the purpose of a new community Do. All are welcome here but membership should have its benefits. I realize that YMMV.

Grace likes this.
  3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will "Joint DO's" be held in AMS or SFO?

Punki, shane, Vuelos and 2 others like this.
  4. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Everyone is welcome to whatever gets organized here at milepoint.com

Our goal is to create a friendly environment for the frequent flyer. If it's posted in other Internet forums, doesn't matter to us.

The more the merrier !

piqaro, flysurfer, kiwi and 2 others like this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At OzFest in Australia each year, it's a joint event with members from an Australian frequent flyer board and FT. Seems to work fine there and it's announced on both boards. Wouldn't be surprised to see MilePoint added to the mix in years to come.

lisamcgu and serfty like this.
  6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has it been deleted already? Don't see anything in Talk Board or Community there.

lisamcgu likes this.
  7. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but it is my understanding that it has been taken down only on a temporary basis while the answer to my question is determined.

lisamcgu and Skyvillager like this.
  8. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Interesting.

I don't think where something is posted will impact my desire to attend/not attend. I typically decide these things based on - am I available, is it a place that's on my travel "agenda" or that I want to go, and does the mix of people sound enjoyable to me. I don't think I'd base my decision on where it was posted - but that's just me.

BondAir007, TuesdayMass and Dovster like this.
  9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BRT 11 will be posted exclusively here first. That is, unless you can guarantee me a full bus of 50. [​IMG]
    This community will have a one week jump on that other bulletin board. Seems fair no?

lisamcgu likes this.
  10. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad to hear the BRT is still alive. It's looking like I might not go to the Prague DO so maybe I'll head up to BRT if it's June 11th.

11. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    techgirl, I agree with you. Keep in mind, however, that while most of us (today) post on both boards that will not always be true. I would hope that I have one friend who posts only on FT and another who posts only here, I would be able to see them both at the same Do.

lisamcgu, piqaro and Mr.Flyer like this.
  12. might be over-thinking this one

The Missy and whataringtoss like this.
  13. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Agree.

Like I stated earlier, milepoint.com and Randy does not care if the DO's are posted at multiple online forums.

14. i bet flyertalks new ownership will though

wijomas likes this.
  15. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you : that will not always be true. So what to do ?

16. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. It's hard for me to regularly check more than 2 forums. I used to surf CreditBoards and FT a lot, then FT and CharlotteAtheists, now I mainly just do FT so FT and MP will last until I pick up more on Fat Wallet.

17. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well, we can only address how we handle things here on Milepoint. Wherever frequent flyers are meeting, that seems welcome here. And members here are gathering, frequent flyers are welcome. At least that seems the appropriate starting point.

I have a hard time imagining that, regardless of what policies anyone may want elsewhere, that frequent flyers will be kept away or events will be kept secret.

I'm sure these things will work themselves out. For now we can only be welcoming.

18. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't question for a moment that we would be willing to have a Frequent Flyer who posts only on FlyerTalk attend a Do that was announced here. I do question whether he or she will ever hear about it.

I suspect that the early posters here will be those who have high post counts on FT. I doubt that many of the "five times a year" FT posters will sign up at another site. (For that matter, that holds true for the "100 times a year" FT posters as well.)

Yet in past Do's I have met quite a few of them and feel that I gained quite a bit from it. Some, in fact, who never attended a Do before actually became much more active posters as a result.

Today, of course, I can be sure that Milepoint members who are interested will see the announcement on FT, so I can get away with posting it only there. As Milepoint grows, and starts attracting people who never heard of FT, that will no longer be true. In the end, everyone will lose if we can't post announcements on both boards.

lisamcgu and Mr.Flyer like this.
  19. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean unposted events??? [​IMG]

lisamcgu likes this.
  20. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I guess what I was saying is, we can only address on Milepoint how Milepoint organizes and grows. And I can't imagine that cross-posting a DO here would ever be a problem. And we ought not have any objection to someone cross-posting a DO being organized here on Flyertalk. I'd hope that anyone thinking about the best interests of Frequent Flyers would feel the same. But as of yesterday, I have no voice in that. [​IMG]

21. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course you do. You are no longer TB President or a Senior Moderator but you are still a member of FT (and, indeed, a well-respected one). IMHO, members are always the most valuable asset that a BB can have and it would be foolish not to listen to what they are saying.

lisamcgu and Mr.Flyer like this.
  22. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sorry, I guess I meant to say that I have no direct decision-making authority (I don't get a vote).

I also feel that I need to tread lightly there. I don't want anyone to feel as though I'm speaking out of my desire to build one community over another.

There's a tradition in American politics that a former President stays out of politics. And it's probably a good way of handling things.

I still consider myself a member of Flyertalk. And I will offer my advice and counsel, whether on matters of policy or on matters of miles and points, when asked to do so. But I think it best for now that I not try to stick my nose into matters of policy, merely days after saying that I was no longer going to fulfill an official role in such matters.

Still, your point is well-taken.

23. MikeMpls
    Original Member

MikeMpls Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have lots of friends in both places. As long as that continues, I won't discriminate.

FriendlySkies and SS255 like this.
  24. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really doubt that

25. Let's just think about it: I announce a DO on FT. A week later I announce the very same DO here.
    Do you really think that FT will then start deleting and editing the thread, throwing out all references to users from this forum? That would be a bit like 1984 (mind police), and there's a precedent, because VFF (the original German frequent flyer forum) did just that after we founded VFT. Now look where they are today, not a very pretty picture. And that is certainly not our fault, because we kept and keep linking to them on a daily basis. Don't make the mistake to treat valuable users like kids. I really hope this won't be a problem, because IMHO this would be pretty bad for FT.