Join the AAdvantage Summer Miles Challenge

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by AmericanAirlines, Jun 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    Join our Summer Miles Challenge! Register today to earn 100 AAdvantage® miles and enter for a chance to win up to 100,000 AAdvantage miles. For every registrant, we’ll donate miles to the American Airlines Miles for Kids in Need(SM) program—share the challenge with friends, and we’ll donate even more miles! Help give a smile to a kid this summer! Register here: http://on.fb.me/ND7HZF

ceieoc, Max M, AnthonyB1609 and 5 others like this.
  2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    :mad: Facebook required :mad:

aptraveler, rwoman, aadmiral and 3 others like this.
  3. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    Sorry TheBeerHunter! Maybe it's time for an account? :)

viguera likes this.
  4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    No way, Jose! I am not interested in sharing my navel-gazing with the world.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You can always just make an account specifically for entering contests.

Either way, can't please everyone in the end. The next web-based contest you'll be all over! ;)

wingspan and Max M like this.
  6. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do enjoy announcing to the world that I have just gone to the bathroom.
    lol jk

carsonheim, thegrailer, Max M and 4 others like this.
  7. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    OR, alternatively...

"Maybe it's time for companies to start recognizing the shortsightedness of lying solely in bed with FB and instead start offering additional options?" ;)

(all in good fun AA :))

8. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks AA!

Max M and PLUS_1 like this.
  9. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have Facebook, but I don't like it, and I still think it will fall soon or later, maybe sooner than I thought after the IPO disaster. But congrats to AA for another promo.

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although there's some merit to that, at the end of the day there are hundreds of millions of active users on Facebook, and It would be asinine for any company to discount that many eyeballs.

Making FB-centric "apps" for these contests is extremely simple as well, and it's a lot easier to hire somebody to plug in the required data into a cookie-cutter template using Graph and keep track of the data than it would be to set everything up on your own.

AnthonyB1609, airshadow and mrredskin like this.
  11. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    it's just so easy to make a "fake" account for all these promos.

Max M, Bobtray, viguera and 1 other person like this.
  12. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, companies with significant web presence should not divert traffic away from their own website. That's just plain silly.

TheBeerHunter and airshadow like this.
  13. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. Facebook will be shown to be as ineffective a marketing tool as commercials on TV...which nobody really watches. Facebook likes are manipulated and brokers sell them by the bushel. GM is right to be pulling out, and companies like AA that cater to adults will soon learn their best customers go nowhere near these social networking sites.

TheBeerHunter, MX and airshadow like this.
  14. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that's been my solution. I agree with viguera that, with close to 1 billion users, FB promos make perfect sense. I just wish "general" promos weren't so FB exclusive, requiring me to do this whole disingenuous song and dance.

TheBeerHunter and Max M like this.
  15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I don't understand the aversion to facebook in principle... I actually use facebook, but even if I didn't I wouldn't discount the fact that it can be used as a tool to win some easy miles/points.

16. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering so many websites have the "Log-in with Facebook" option, I doubt Facebook will go away anytime soon.

I'm sure that many "likes" are manipulated and even brokered, but using Facebook likes alone just to measure the effectiveness of social media presence isn't necessarily the best indicator of its success or failure.

Facebook's advertising, and other social media is more cost effective for small businesses that can't afford traditional advertising.

Case and point, a local restaurant that I visit is usually only open for dinner Wednesday-Saturday [but they serve breakfast and lunch 7 days a week]. However, 4 times this year they've used Facebook to announce that they'd be open on these 4 selected Tuesdays this year. A Facebook post was their only way of letting people know that they'd be open these 4 selected different Tuedays this year.Sure, some of the people could be just walk-ins, but for their best customers, they created a special menu only on these Tuesdays, and only annouced this via Facebook.

The result: a pretty steady crowd at each of the 4 special Tuesday dinner nights.

I'm an adult, and Facebook's marketing has paid off very well for this small, local restaurant. I consider myself a pretty loyal customer to this restaurant, and one of their best.

As far as watching tv, sure they're aren't as many prime-time tv viewers as years ago due to increased media options, but the king of television shows, The SuperBowl, for 2012 was the most watched television show in U.S History:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/02/06/tvratings.record/index.html

I know plenty of people that watch the SuperBowl because of the advertising, and could care less about the actual SuperBowl itself.

Certain adult demographics embrace Facebook well, while some other adult demographics still read paper newspapers, listen to terrestrial radio, and don't DVR television shows.

With that said, is Facebook the key and solution to all advertising?
    No.

However, does Facebook lack effectiveness?
    Definitely not.

Are there some serious privacy concerns about Facebook?
    Most definitely.

Have Facebook ads creeped me out personally by displaying targeted marketing for items that I've never searched for on the internet, nor post about on Facebook?
    Yes.

AA: thanks for this awareness campaign, and the free 100 AAdvantage miles for participating on Facebook. :)

mrredskin likes this.
  17. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, thanks AA for the promotion and, more importantly, the donation to the American Airlines Miles for Kids in Need program! We may have gotten a little sidetracked talking about FB (which is fine - it's always good to know various opinions) but I definitely appreciate what you guys are doing. Thanks AmericanAirlines for posting it here on MP!

AmericanAirlines and aptraveler like this.
  18. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you AA for the great promo. :)

AmericanAirlines likes this.
  19. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i would just assume that the vast majority would frequent fb more than aa

20. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    do you have any statistics or a legit basis for making these assumptions? not trying to create a stir, but i just don't know what facts you have to say that their marketing is inefective and that their best customers don't use social media. LinkedIn is also social media. there are a LOT of professionals that use that site.

FB started out as collegiate only. Several years ago it went "open". Many adults have yet to climb on board just because they've never tinkered with it. FB is still growing with the 40+ crowd.

Max M likes this.
  21. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't do FB either.
    HERE'S A NOVEL IDEA! !
    Since an AA rep made an announcement about it here, on MP, why not give a direct to it here, on MP, and avoid all this FB thing.
    BTW, if its (FB) soooo hot and catching on with the "40+ crowd" I wonder how many in that crowd bought the stock?

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  22. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    what in the world does owning stock in FB have to do with 40+ y/o being on fb???

are you saying that i should take up smoking because i own stock in PM and MO? it's essentially the same argument.

AA is giving anyone 100 miles that likes the app on fb. If you don't, then you don't get 100 miles. It's as simple as that. If you want the 100 miles, do it. If you don't want to deal with fb, then you don't get 100 miles.

23. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing that AA believes they can get a broader audience on Facebook [in terms in sheer numbers of people], rather than cater to a more niche market like MP.

A higher percentage of us on MP are more saavy about the ins and outs of the AAdvantage program, versus the average leisure travel that may only fly 1-2 times a year that may use Facebook, but may never bother to check out MP.

With that said, since AA probably wants a broader scope for the awareness of this program, and AA probably figures that this can be better done via Facebook versus MP.

Or another idea: Maybe AA's research shows that people on Facebook are more willing to donate their miles to charity instead of letting the miles expire, versus the average MP-er who might try to find a way to keep their miles active some way?

I'm not trying to be a cheerleader for Facebook, but just trying to show a perspective on AA's rationale for this.

24. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was just a Question, nothing more. Do you mean I have to like facebook to fly on AA?? Same thing,
    I, too like MO, PM, and I don't smoke either. (Drink a little Miller Lite, though)

25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I love it when AA posts a Facebook promo. Not because I'm eager to enroll, but because I enjoy the inevitable uproar over using Facebook as a medium to connect with customers and the debate that follows. Gets me every time. :)

Travelsavant and viguera like this.