Jobs which require travel

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by MSYgirl, Jan 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was recently asked what jobs require travel since a friend was curious about my ability to travel. My travel is no where near as frequent as some of the others on this forum, so I wasn't much help. This got me curious as to what jobs come with the travel bug.

Feel free to list your profession, someone else in your office, or someone else you might know that has to travel often. If you want to remain anonymous you can send it to me privately.

List
    Aviation Consultants
    IT Consultant
    Security personnel
    Travel bloggers

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a geek, mainly computer, but most travel is on my own dime. I wish I had a job which required travel. I think I'll get a bumper sticker: "Will work for miles."

FriendlySkies, Tracy T. and MSYgirl like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travel bloggers, security folks, aviation consultants, all are people that usually require a lot of travel for a living.

Of course there's the flight attendants, but that's hard work since you have to deal with people... :)

I know a few wedding photographers that travel a lot, but that always depends on people that have destination weddings, and of course a constant hustle to find new customers since people (generally) tend to get married once.

anileze and MSYgirl like this.
  4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    IT Consultant :)

anileze and viguera like this.
  5. cocobird

cocobird Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bank Examiner, Auditor, Trainer - the joke was I visited the office annually.

TravelBear and anileze like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends at what level though... I know plenty of IT consultants that never leave the basement :)

But when I used to work at Credit Suisse about a decade ago when the streets were paved with gold it was quite a nice job to have. They used to send us to all the branches as part of the DLJ integration, and putting people up at The Four Seasons for a week with a hefty per diem.

:)

Sammich and anileze like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Soldier
    Sailor
    Airman
    Marine
    Spy
    Journalist
    Book author
    "Idol" judge
    Sales Consultant

anileze likes this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Business consultants
    Travel coordinators (some, you know the ones that go onsite at meetings and work 24 hours a day to make sure everyone has donuts, etc.)
    Cruise ship workers
    A lot of sales people travel non-stop
    Flight crews
    Railroad workers
    Truck drivers
    Corporate trainers
    Retail store buyers

anileze likes this.
  9. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Journalists without Border
    UN Inspectors

10. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anything in the software implementation business. Worked in it for years and even the higher level finance staff like myself traveled a lot. The implementation consultants and sales staff traveled almost constantly.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most travel bloggers I talk to don't really travel all that much, particularly not specifically related to being a writer.

12. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll add my job to the mix - Destination Wedding Planner and no it isn't as glamorous as it sounds ;)

desamo likes this.
  13. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I work for a UK firm in Finance so I travel there at least yearly. Our investment professionals and client service teams are on the road quite frequently.
    Other jobs such as Meeting Planners (my friend does international meetings and was relocated to Paris for a year), corporate travel managers for site visits and retail visual merchandising are all jobs that have travel aspects.

14. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have family and friends that work for fashion retailers as buyers and they are luckily able to travel a lot for factory visits and meeting suppliers all over the world.

15. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know a few freelance audio/visual technicians who travel a bit for a living.

16. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I work as a Marketing Consultant. I travel about once every 6 weeks for a week at a time, but I mainly do financials and ROI. My team manages tradeshows and travels more frequently than I.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  17. greendx

greendx Gold Member

Status Points:
    Client facing it can be any type of consultants, sales, auditors etc.
    Internal travel at multinational corporations is frequently done by C level executives and various senior management. IT depends on specific projects, local resources, budget, etc. Internal auditors seem to travel all the time.

18. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be sure to verify the mode of travel: One time I investigated a position that promised a lot of travel, "all over Texas."

Well, I thought that's not perfect, but at least I could rack up quite a few Southwest points and legacy-airline miles. Then they clarified that the travel was by my personal car. All over Texas.

Fuggitaboutit! :)