JHM (Kapalua Airport) for West Maui instead of OGG (Kahului Airport)

Discussion in 'HNL/KOA/OGG/LIH/MKK/LNY | Hawaii Regional Airports' started by merice107, Sep 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew in to Kapalua Airport from HNL on Island Air this summer and it was great. I did stay five minutes away at the Honua Kai Resort. It was fast to get off the plane. Luggage took 5 minutes. Great views on the way in. It was windy so it was abumby ride, but overall a very easy experience. It is great if you are staying on West Maui.

Has anyone else done something like this before? Do you agree or did you have a different experience?

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I keep wanting to do this, but since I fly from the West Coast, it means adding a connection. The last thing I want to do on my way to Hawaii is add a connection.

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there connections to the mainland?

Otherwise, unless (i) you're otherwise stopping in HNL or (ii) can't get to OGG nonstop from where you are (but can get to HNL nonstop), seems like JHM isn't worth the effort.

4. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are no mainland connections--this is a VERY small airport.

Although I've flown in and out of it several times, in the past the fares have been usually much higher, as compared with OGG.

5. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can not get to OGG from Chicago non stop where I can get to HNL nonstop so I do fall in one of those categories. I can see that there is a very limited population that fit these criteria... Probably why the airport is the way it is.

I haven't taken any time to compare fares but is it traditionally that much more to fly there on Island Air than say OGG on Hawaiian or other airlines? I wasn't responsible for purchasing the tickets when I did this route so I don't have any experience. It seems like some of you fly to Hawaii a lot?

6. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a comparison of airfares by airline: (Of course, you may find a lower fare on a different day.)
    hnl to ogg.JPG
    hnl to jhm.JPG

Note that Mokulele Airlines sometimes flies Cessna Grand Caravans on this route. Their flights may also be operated by Mesa dba Go!

7. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome. Thanks!

8. bdraco

bdraco Silver Member

Status Points: