JFK United First Club (bizarro world?)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Sep 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just came off a TATL LH F flight and am about to continue on my first ever UA PS flight (hard to believe as an SFO 1K, I know).

So now I am in the UNitdd Club jn T7, First section. First time as well, and it feels like I am in bizarro world. Or at least in a time warp that took me back 10 years or so. Dated furniture, food that looks somewhere between disgusting and dangerous, Wifi doesn't work, windows facing a wall... And then this amazing United/Chase credit card offer for 17500 bonus miles! I think I'll sign up my entire family!

Oh, to complete the time warp theory, I am completely alone in here!

Someone take me back to the LH First Class lounge - I want another Schnitzel! :)

Attached Files:

2. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the Gold Class card back in the day before I switched to the Select card.....

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That lounge generally sucks across the board. The F section doesn't get the exception versus the regular part in that regard.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If United had International destinations from JFK, then perhaps they'd spiff up the International F lounge.

United bought Pan Am's LHR routes for $400mm. http://articles.latimes.com/1990-10-24/business/fi-2900_1_united-airlines I guess they got about 15 years of value from the JFK route. It was quite a statement to surrender JFK-LHR...it's not as if people aren't flying the route any more. Pax simply chose not to fly UA.

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, my. If you were in LH F, you are going to wish you'd taken the FRA-SFO non-stop, or maybe FAR-LAX-SFO if you wanted a few more miles. I can't imagine that changing terminals at JFK and then UA domestic F, even if ps can possibly compare. I'm not sure ps First food is any better than ps Biz.

hulagrrl210, catgirl and NYBanker like this.
  6. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you also wearing flared polyester trousers, oversized loose fitting shirt with collars out to your shoulders and a crevatt? Also, do you respond with "Groovy!" whenever the hostess brings you a drink?

Where2next? and catgirl like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Gotta take what I can get on an award :) Plus now I finally had my ps experience.

Changing terminals wasn't bad. I hadn't been to JFK in many years and actually took a complete loop on the airtrain just to look around since I had time (and clearly I didn't miss much in that lounge).

And yes, ps F wasn't very impressive (kind of the same time warp continuing), but the FA serving the F cabin was excellent. I didn't look very closely at the ps C seats, but they looked to me like the old int'l C seats, just leather? I found the F seat quite uncomfortable. Only 5 of 12 seats were occupied, so I had plenty of pillows I could use to cushion the thing more, but the leg rest just didn't work for me. I think replacing them (and C) with the BF seats is the right thing to do.

They should just shut it down and make the RCC nicer. Aren't they try to attract the same kind of customer to ps that they want to cater to with international lounges?

hulagrrl210 and NYBanker like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didn't dare to look into the RCC dungeon :)

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once they do away with ps f, the JFK ifl could become a memory...

10. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew C PS once. I thought it was a waste of a CR-1. The seats were ok, but the service was not good at all. Not sure if it was because it was a red eye or what, but I can say that I have done it.

Glad you had good service. :)

11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The C seats on ps are very similar to the Barcoloungers on the old C international product - which is still flying on the UA 777s. I find these seats to be quite comfortable for reading and working and even a nap on ps flights. They wouldn't be great on a red-eye however.

ps in C or F is better than any other domestic UA product - mainly for the seat and spaciousness. But the food and amenities aren't even close to what's competitive in the international markets - and it doesn't seem that there a distinct market willing to pay for F vs. C - hence the plan to install the CO lie-flat seats that are used on CO's 752's for European routes. There will only be a single premium cabin then. And yes I would guess the IFL will be history. It is somewhat amusing that UA's *A partner ANA uses BA's lounge at JFK.

I agree that the Airtrain has made changing terminals at JFK much easier than back when there were only buses.
    I guess that proves YMMV. I've always enjoyed the ps in C and think it is a good use of a CR1. I've always felt the FAs were friendly and professional. My biggest gripe is that they only board about 4 cans of Heineken. On my last flight the two guys across the aisle each had 2 and then they were out.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree. :) Perhaps if I had been on a different flight, I would have a different opinion. Glad I tried it, though.

13. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's just appreciation, you're better off with Amstel or Grolsch... :)
    (although I'll add, export is better then domestic when it comes to Heineken)

14. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    The RCC side is actually pretty nice with good views of the runway and ramp areas. And back when the food hadn't been "standardized" it had a better selection than your average domestic RCC.

15. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, if you thought the Y to C upgrade on ps wasn't worth a CR-1, you must not find any value in the CR1; I can't think of a better upgrade than the p.s. Y to C.

16. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is not true at all. I do find value in CR-1's, just not this flight. I had heard good things about PS C. I can tell you it did not live up to what I heard prior to the flight. I am not a chronic complainer either. I think it was the redeye flight I was on and the FAs working the flight.

The FAs throughout the flight yapped about how they hated the merger, they bad mouthed passengers, when I woke up and asked if I missed the snack, they said "yep, too bad". I had the pleasure of siting in 5A, so when not working, the FAs were in the jump seats complaining and I could see them doing the same in the galley.

Anyway - it is my opinion that this was not a good use it for this flight. I don't see what the hub bub is about PS. Not for me. Different strokes for different folks. I would have been fine in Y and have logged many miles in E+.

This is the great thing about opinions and options. We all have them. :)

unavaca likes this.
  17. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    PS C is, unfortunately, a sad shadow of its former self. The meal is about what standard domestic 2 cabin F was a couple of years ago. Now, the 2 cabin F meal is so pathetic that PS seems opulent. And most of the time, this is no bargain market, even in Y.

catgirl likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose, though the windows are filthy and those views are across air conditioner gear (which isn't actually used to cool the sauna that is that lounge) and other bits; not really great views.

This has not been my experience over the past 3 years at all.

19. MileCardInsider

MileCardInsider Active Member

Status Points:
    Man, if it was a 70s time warp it would be a lot more fun...with some real food.

Think more put on your Nirvana flannel and keep an eye open for one of the Spice Girls.

20. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll buy that. I find that CR1s are typically wasted on red-eyes, since there's not much in the way of service on those flights. PS during the day sucks a lot less, especially at lunch and dinner times.

21. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not so much that is good, just that it sucks a lot less.

22. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    :) Nobody was claiming it was good, just less crappy than the alternatives...

23. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually like the self service drink set up. I prefer getting a club soda from the fridge than waiting for a bartender to get it and feeling semi obligated to tip. The am breakfast cereals weren't bad either but the whole UA station is bizarro world. The elite desk is hidden in a back hallway and they charged a 75 dollar change fee for anyone to change dates on their flight, GM or 1K.

24. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rumor has it the entire facility will be one of the first lounges to get a complete reno as part of the United Club rebranding, and the IFL will disappear concurrent with the disposal of p.s. F.

25. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I came through there about a year ago it was all of UA around the corner...

The regular RCC sure could do with some sprucing up... :) It surely was no match for SA's *G club in JNB after my JNB-DKR-JFK flight I was glad to rest and recharge before doing JFK-IAD-PIT afterwards...