JFK-SJU

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Tenmoc, Jun 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems AA is cutting several of their SJU non stops. Can now only see 2 per day.

Can't find any release or news item on it though.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are rarely press releases when frequencies get cut. That said, the SJU hub is basically gone and AA is bailing from that market in a hurry. There have been some stories about it in the past several months but not a ton of explicit "only 2x daily ex-JFK" types of reports.

viguera and Tenmoc like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Searched a few random dates and I see three non-stops. Seasonal reduction?

viguera and Tenmoc like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I'd figure this is high season with all the cruises... although I understand the snowbirds are the main market come winter time.

Still, with AA having cut the flights out of SJU to pretty much everywhere (I remember a thread here not long ago) that there would be no need to have as frequent a service.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Exactly, SJU's dehubbing means the need for nonstops between JFK and SJU is likely smaller and would mean fewer flights at some times of the year. The connecting traffic you'd see in SJU to other Caribbean destinations is now funneled through MIA. There's a portion of the schedule where there are 2 flights JFK-SJU, but it goes back to 3 eventually.

Tenmoc likes this.
  6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was affected by a sked change that cancelled the late evening JFK-SJU flight for July. Having visited San Juan several times in the past year, while AA flights were full (though always got my UDU) the tourism industry is in a real slump down there. AA's fares have been very low to fill planes, but there's also been cutbacks in service by UA and JetBlue. (Wish AA's SJU wing would have the TSA PreCheck as do the UA and JetBlue wings.)

Tenmoc and viguera like this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I think either people have "outgrown" Puerto Rico or they've just decided that the convenience of not needing a passport is just not enough. With the recent (crazy) fares to Hawaii and availability to other "more exotic" places for the same price, it's really hard to choose SJU as a destination -- I know I personally haven't been there in 2-3 years because the last two times I went it was just "meh"

I think people see more appeal in spending the same amount to go into POP / PUJ / SDQ which has the same weather and your dollar goes much, much further, or going into Mexico or taking cruises out of Florida.

JonNYC, Tenmoc and Canadi>n like this.