JFK-SDQ and JFK-STI cancelled effective April 1

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by JonNYC, Jan 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hadn't been following along that much, so I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but as of schedule load last night, both are ending April 1.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Saw a rumor a few days ago, first I've seen it being official though.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch. That's a big cut to the Caribbean market. JetBlue must be salivating at these cuts.

4. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Other way to look at it is you might see AA code on those low-yield flights (with those AA 763's heading to routes where they can actually pull paid premium fares) as AA and B6 draw closer and closer this year.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You think AA and B6 are drawing closer? Based on what?

AA wanted B6 for domestic feed into BOS/JFK international routes. But AA is pulling back at BOS and JFK a bit, too. And there is little indication that JetBlue wants to be a feeder airline for AA as their main focus. It was smart business for both to establish a limited relationship, similar to how AS is partners with many other carriers. But that's far different from putting an AA code on B6 flights (hasn't happened yet) or B6 becoming a major feeder to the AA network.

6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airline employee speculation is just speculation, but a former AA station manager, turned manager of maintenance at an NYC airport speculated to me that JetBlue and AA merging/B6 being acquired by AA is much more realistic than US and AA merging.

To me, it would make sense.

AA has dramatically scaled down their Carribean routes/is in the process of scaling back Carribean operations, signicantly scaled back service @ BOS, and AA's Airbus acquistion would make more logistical sense than the variety of aircraft that AA would have to maintence if merging with US. Plus the E190's could be now operated by American Eagle due to the scope clause issue being changed.

To me it's too coincidental that these events have occured with talks of possibly doing something between AA and B6.

Only time will tell what happens though....

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm fairly open to the idea that AA and B6 will move closer in the future, though the level of extent to which that will happen is still rather questionable.

I do draw the line of that involvement being a merger though. Absolutely not going to happen, in my very humble opinion.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, but I'm not buying the views of a random former station manager as an inside view to merger futures. Plus there is the part where JetBlue has no interest in merging with anyone. As well they shouldn't. They're actually profitable without the global network and growing in a measured and smart manner right now. The planes thing is a joke. AA has lots of 738s and 77Ws on order,too. A few A32x also on the books doesn't matter so much.

As for JetBlue taking huge chunks of business form AA at BOS and SJU being part of a master plan by AA to merge back in to controlling that business later, well, that's certainly a creative way to look at things. :eek:

9. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I said either merging OR being acquired-- not just merging. B6 may not be open to merging, right now, but if AMR has cash on the table in the future who knows. I'm not saying an acquistion or merger between the 2 is immediate, but has a definite possiblity of coming to fruition in time.

AMR gobbled up Reno Air, the #2 carrier at SJC, when SJC was a hub for AA.
    AMR merged with TWA, while TWA was the #2 carrier to the Carribean and was positioning itself to surpass AA.

AA is retreating out of SJU in part due to B6, and WN now being able to fly there.

B6 though is AA's biggest competitor at SJU.

Following AA's previous logic, acquring or merging with another carrier that is a smaller, direct competitor isn't out of line.

Regarding the planes thing being a joke, tell that to WN with their fleet simplicity keeping costs low. Plus keeping labor costs down, it's not out of line to think that B6's E190's couldn't become a prime candidate for Eagle material--notice AA's ever decreasing presence at ORD as Eagle has sprawled there.

Sure AA has 738's and 77W's on order, but as they phase out the Super 80's, B6 having an aircraft type that has 2 fleet types is more simplistic than the hot mess variety of aircraft US has right now. Obviously WN nor B6 have the desire at present for TransPacific/TransAtlantic service so their need for 77W isn't there. AA can't maintain a global airline with 738's and 32x--- well if SY can fly a seasonal MSP-LGW on a 738 with a stop midway over "The Pond", then perhaps AA could follow suit on some of it routes-- but AA has an obvious business need for their 77W's.

And as for my "creative" way of thinking, it's called looking back at Airline History:

In 1990's, an airline called TWA had an airline dance partner called AA. TW & AA had a codeshare, similar to B6 and AA's current codeshare. The two airline dance partners-- TW & AA made sure not to step on each other's toes in certain markets, and would appropriately bow on certain overlapping routes when necessary. The dance was relatively short lasting only about 2 years.

Then in 2001 TW merged with AA. The two former dance partners became bedfellows.

Fast forward to present where AA and B6 are now current airline dance partners.....

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA doesn't have the cash or market positioning to acquire JetBlue. Not gonna happen.

DestinationDavid likes this.