JFK-MXP on DELTA Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Stein481, Nov 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Stein481

Stein481 New Member

Status Points:
    I have been about to book 2 seats on Delta to Milan for a trip in June. I just missed the 200,000 miles/points tix for biz class and they are now 262,500. Have I missed my window for the 200,000 seats or do you think they will return and if so, when? I'm a newbie to this all and just don't know when the best time to book would be but it hurts to pay an extra 125,000 miles for seats I could have had a week ago for less. Thanks for your advice

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    At this stage it all depends on 1) how many DL miles you have and 2) how badly you want to use miles to Italy.

For me 262.5k or even 200k (x 2) miles is waaay too much miles to use to go to Italy. We went in October using DL awards for a total of 250k miles for two business class tickets but had to fly though MAD out-bound and LHR return.

I would look for any lower price awards to/from and from any available European city and use a partner or even purchase cheap low-cost carrier tickets on to MXP( or LIN)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    Gargoyle likes this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is plenty of time between now and June, and award availability on many international routes is pretty abysmal now. I would recommend delaying your decision until mid January or February.

Newscience and Gargoyle like this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to disagree with this if he plans to use DL miles. June is arguably the second or perhaps the third busiest demand month for European awards with Italy probably the most difficult of them all ( time of year for other International routes can/will be quite different). This means the earlier he secures an award the better unless he is hell bent on spending 250-300k miles per ticket. Added to that DL does not appear ( at least from my personal observations) to release a lot of low level awards closer in to departure dates as say AA or UAL does.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014