JFK-HNL HA first vs AA business

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by olmangsr, Aug 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone!
    Trying to choose between hawaiian airlines first class and american business.of course rather enjoy a nonstop flight but heard seat aren't that good on ha's a330.should i go with aa's 762 to lax and than 757?
    thanks for your help

NYBanker likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming out of JFK, right?

The HA seats aren't great but neither are the AA ones from LAX on the 757 to the islands. So the real question is if you want to trade the connection in LAX for having half the flight in a better seat. Assuming price is the same I'd likely take the nonstop. I did it in Y and found it quite pleasant. Plus the timings of the non-stop are quite nice.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes its from JFK.flying on miles.its the 0,5 add on portion of my HND-JFK 50k biz class trip...:)

Tenmoc likes this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given those two options, I'd agree with WA and likely go for the non-stop. I might consider switching, however, if I could get on a 763 out of DFW with the seats similar to intl J, but then you'd be leaving from LGA or EWR.

PedroNY likes this.
  5. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew F on HA to HNL out of PHX on the 767. Not very comfortable. Intl to ICN their food was better, but seat still sucked.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA has run 767s to the islands from LAX ... my folks flew LAX-OGG and were able to upgrade to NGBC with stickers. When are you going, OP?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've done LAX-HNL on the 767 but I believe that aircraft was only a temporary sub. Better to route through DFW to guarantee the NGBC seats or the ORD seasonal.

merice107 likes this.
  8. maromero02

maromero02 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes the lax-hnl/ogg on the 767 was only temporary.. I did it earlier this year... If you are not earning my miles might as well try the FC on HA.... Having done ord-hnl on the NGBC was not all that so I'm guessing the ord/dfw-hnl might be just as bad... No personal entertainment device.. Dinner was ok and breakfast not. Even worth talking about it.... TRY FC HA JFK-HNL....

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Are you sure you took the same ORD-HNL flight? AA only services breakfast on the first LAX flight to HNL. The ORD/DFW flights leave in the early afternoon and serve lunch and land in HNL in the early evening, so no opportunity for breakfast. AA only services one meal on HNL flights as well, not two.

Though it's all subjective, AA does have some nice advantages over HA in terms of product. HA certainly has a good schedule, good service, and a nice straight shot into HNL. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Welcome to MP btw!

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

I nearly always elect to take the non-stop over a connection. This one is a toughy, however, due to the distance involved and range of services offered. It sounds like you're paying, so accruing miles may be part of the analysis, too.

Hawaiian will have a mediocre onboard experience in front; largely akin to domestic first. Tough on a ~5,000 mile flight.

If you are going to HNL (and not immediately connecting to another island), you should consider CO's nonstop flight from EWR. That will be prior-generation BF, with non-lie-flat recliners. But, it is the best non-stop service to HNL from the NY area.

AA would get you Flagship service to LA, but then be on the ghetto-bird 757 out to Hawaii. We took this option (electing for 3-class F to LA) enroute to KOA late last year. This routing was decided because we were using AA miles for the trip. http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/christm...lounge-aa-3-jfk-lax-flagship-first-class.html

We only did this because there is no non-stop JFK-KOA. On the return, we were coming from HNL, so just took the CO non-stop back to EWR (I used some CO miles for this). http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/christm...d-club-at-hnl-co14-ewr-hnl-businessfirst.html

If you are connecting to another island, then it doesn't really matter where you connect I guess. DL offers some interesting options via MSP (with old-school int'l J seating) and UA does via IAH, too.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I disagree with this somewhat. It is the best seat but not the best service.

An if connecting onward to another island then the HA flight is very much the best from NYC IMO. The UA flight is a few hours later in the day meaning that for onward connections to other islands you get to the final destination reasonably late, especially considering the time zones. With the HA flight you get to HNL around 3pm and can be at a hotel on another island before sunset. Connecting in other locales short of the west coast means an additional connection in Hawaii; avoiding the double connect is a noble goal.

Also, the UA seat is switching to a less awesome seat in the relatively near future (one year horizon) so even that won't be so great.

12. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    From personal experience, JFK-LAX-HNL and OGG-LAX-HNL in AA was about as nice as CO's flight JFK-HNL, granted that was about 4 years ago. If you end up on AA flights, I would strongly recommend to get the DFW-OGG or DFW-HNL leg on your flight as you get to be on 767-300 for 8 hours, those seats are probably best business that AA has to offer in U.S. My parents loved their trip on those planes, and the red-eye back is long enough to get some good sleep.

We did do the JFK-LAX-HNL followed by OGG-LAX-JFK earlier this year and on the way to Hawaii we had 767-200 followed by 767-300, that was in January, so we must have lucked out, I think it is seasonal and it maybe back to 757 now. It was also nice to have access to Admiral's Club in both NYC and LAX, as it was transcontinental flight in Business class.

Of course, if your final destination is HNL, and Hawaii Airlines is open, there is something to be said about non-stop flights, less hassle, and they land earlier in the day, so you can settle in on your Lanai for your drink and watch the sunset!

Enjoy Hawaii!

Cheers,

PedroNY

13. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. I have had three such legs (two KOA and one HNL) and all three times the crew confirmed it was temporary. One was even changed the day of the flight after I had obtained online boarding pass for a 757 (and got called to the podium at the airport for a 767 seat change).

Thus: Impossible to plan for your purposes, so I go with the flow here: if you are considering AA, go through DFW.

Myself, I'd put up with the seats and sample the HA F service out of New York while it is still a relative novelty for the crews -- though, full disclosure, I have never flown anything but inter-island on HA.

14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahh...when I said "service," I meant in the use of the word meaning "flight" (ie: "We run hourly service from Sydney to Canberra"). I suspect the service on the various services ;) are all mediocre.

If you're connecting anyway, why not just elect your normal carrier of choice and connect in their hub city? You can get to pretty much any Hawaiian airport with one stop from NY. And, you'll earn EQMs/EQPs.

Plus, like flying UA to Sydney, you're at a heightened risk of material delay. With only one plane a day in/out of NYC, if there is any sort of IROPS situation, you could be looking at a major delay. I had a UA flight SYD-LAX delayed 23 hours...while we waited for a replacement part to be flown in on the next day's plane. Departing from other carriers' hubs, that risk is reduced as they have more planes to choose from.

15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are good debates to be having!

8MiHi likes this.
  16. maromero02

maromero02 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you.. I meant to say i did HNL-ORD... that's why I was served dinner and then continental breakfast.. That's why I wasn't very amused by the whole thing..

17. maromero02

maromero02 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with NY Banker:

If you're connecting anyway, why not just elect your normal carrier of choice and connect in their hub city? You can get to pretty much any Hawaiian airport with one stop from NY. And, you'll earn EQMs/EQPs....

Besides you get the perks you always get if you are an elite member...
    Only do Hawaiian nonstop if you are flying on an award ticket and want to experience something new....

NYBanker likes this.
  18. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey everyone.thanks everyone for the replies.actually decided with HA.i wouldn't mind doing a stopover at LAX but why not to try something new plus since its my "free" remaining one-way from my award trip to Asia it can't be that bad of a deal:)Lufthansa ,Thai,Qatar,Singapore,cathay,united,asiana,american and finally Hawaiian all in biz class here I come:)

NYBanker likes this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Only if you connect on the west coast. If you're connecting in IAH or MSP as you mentioned before then there will be another stop unless you want to be in HNL. And that second stop means a rather late arrival into the final destination versus the pre-sunset arrival via the JFK-HNL HA flight plus intra-island flight.

And while the single daily flight presents some risk, HA has partners in B6 and AA at JFK; they can push passengers out to other places if need be.

20. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never advocate a second connection. My point is one connection...doesn't matter where...gets you to essentially any airport in Hawaii. Unless you're going to HNL, there's not a lot of reason in my mind to take the HA flight...and a few good reasons not to. Pax might consider the UA flight (while it is still in old BF format) and then connect onward from HNL, but that is for the superior seat for the ~10 hour journey.

Just because they have certain arrangements with other carriers doesn't mean they're likely to accommodate pax on other metal. Several of my west coast-based friends have more experience on HA than I (my experience limited to their inter-island service). They have reported to me more than once that they've been displeased with HA during IROPS. 5, 6 hour delays not unheard of. No mention of potentially moving to a different carrier.

Assuming most NY-based pax are not Pualani Platinum or Gold members, they'd have to deal with IROPS (if they occurred) as a non-elite...also not fun. (I am definitely scarred by my UA SYD experience. I just bought a ticket on QF when UA refused to re-accommodate me that time.)

Notwithstanding any of the foregoing, for the vast majority of pax, this is all academic...and they'll simply pick the lowest price ticket and go from there. ;)

21. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Free add-ons to miles trips are always nice! Great planning.

When are you going?

How did you find HA J availability?

22. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Going to Bali,Seoul,HK,Japan.coming back from Haneda on American,HA comes up as an option after my NY 4 month "north American stop".

23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You specifically mentioned the service from IAH or MSP. That's only going to get you to HNL. Where the connection is absolutely dictates the quality of the in-cabin amenities and where you can get to with just one stop from the east coast. If you want to get to other islands with only one connection your options are a non-stop to HNL and then an intra-island flight or a connection on he west coast to a flight with a domestic F cabin. If you're going to be in a domestic F cabin anyways I'd take the non-stop to HNL rather than stopping on the west coast.

24. Lantean

Lantean Silver Member

Status Points:
    are you sure about this? i think this award will exceed the maximum permitted mileage...

25. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    HND-JFK,JFK-HNL is within the permitted %.was trying to it from PVG but "only" let's me travel to the west coast