JFK-HKG day vs. JFK-YVR-HKG night

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by spaced2, Jan 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello party -

Finally came around to booking my F award on CX and I'm deciding between flying JFK - HKG on the day flight vs JFK-YVR-HKG on the night before. I'll actually be connecting to QF F on the A380 departing the day i arrive at 7:30 pm, so the question is really:
    1) Night flight w/ stopover in YVR followed by 12 hours in hong kong, Second overnight flight
    2) Day flight followed by 5 hours in hong kong, then overnight flight

This would also be in december, so I imagine it would be kinda cold. I guess the obvious follow-up question to the above is would i have enough time to skip out of the airport for a quick bite with a 5 hour layover? I've been to HK before but there are things I didn't see.

Thanks everyone!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a risk that the YVR route will be switched to an aircraft without IFC? If so, would FC space be opened for you on the nonstop or would you be switched to business class, possibly without a refund of miles if the QF flight is in IFC?

Personally, I love the long non stops as you can enjoy dinner and then get lots of sleep. If a connection is eliminated, it lessens the risk of a misconnect or other IROPs.

Have you been to HK before? December is likely to be cold and rainy, with some fog. With five hours--is this total connection time or time available in HK???--you could rush to see the light show and ride on the Star Ferry, but probably not much else and you would not want a big meal, or you could fully enjoy the CX IFC lounges. A day in HK on the way could be tiring, but leaves open tourist possibilities such as the ride to the Peak, a museum or two, a relaxing high tea at the Peninsula,...

3. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take the daytime nonstop. Not worth taking the night flight with an interrupted stop IMO. Even if they allow you to remain onboard during the stopover, you'd likely won't be continuously sleeping and be awake as a result of the landing preparation where they will ask you to set your seat back to an upright position. Thus when the flight resumes again, you'd have to find a way to fall asleep again. Ideally if you want a long layover in HKG to have significant time to see things around, the best solution would be to take the nonstop evening departure (CX845) to HKG. But since you didn't mention it, I assume they have no award seats available for that flight on your desired travel date.
    Whether someone finds HKG to be cold or not in December is all relative. The locals will find anything below 19C to be cold and anything below 16C to be very cold and anyone else who has spent most of their lives living in a tropical geography will also find it cold. But for someone who is used to winters in most of Canada, the U.S. Midwest/Northeast, Northern Europe, etc; they will find the coldest snap in HK in any form to be relatively mild and tame for their standards.
    CX will not do a last minute aircraft switch for the JFK-YVR-HKG run from an a/c equipped with F to one without one. If they will do so, it is likely to be an advanced change of schedule, not a last minute one. However, it is unlikely CX889/888 will be changed to a 77G (the only 77W configuration on the CX fleet not equipped with F) since it involves JFK with a high premium F demand.
    With five hours, you'd have a maximum of only 1-2 hours at most to spend time in the city provided your flight isn't delayed and you take the Airport Express on a roundtrip basis. IMO, it isn't worth paying $180 HKD for just that amount of time. You'd be better off lounge hopping and exploring them without the feeling you're in a rush. If you really don't want to hang out at the airport for 5 hours, they you can take Bus S1(fare of $3.5 HKD each way) to Tung Chung Citygate Mall to walk around and explore although to tell you in advance, there really isn't anything special or outstanding there that you have to go out of your way to make it there. But if you want to, it's relatively easy to do within your transit time frame. And no, five hours isn't going to give you significant time to enjoy Ngong Ping nor the Buddha either just in case you are curious.

cennas and spaced2 like this.
  4. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    845 is definitely my preference, unfortunately the American agents are telling me they don't see the awards space (even though the CX site is showing it available). I'm going to try again when i confirm the reservation. Mainly routed through HKG to try CX and QF first classes plus i've never been on an A380 so super psyched for that.

Thanks for the input - shame i won't really be able to do much in hk. i think the only situation in which case an airport express trip into central makes sense is if it turns out a friend is in town and i can meet them for a late lunch...

5. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the nonstop too. You could have better sleep quality/length on the nonstop one. You could have better food/drink onboard than in the CX lounge at YVR.

spaced2 likes this.
  6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking to book our Cathay Pacific First Class award from JFK to HKG and then on to BKK. Never been to Asia before this trip. Of the CP flights, which would be the smartest to take in terms of enjoying the flight and First Class amenities while also getting some rest?

Booking on AA and from what I have read here and on FT, seems some of the CX flights are not available to AA so if someone could rank them it would help a lot - eg. 9 AM, 2 PM, midnight, 7 PM.

Many thanks!

7. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally my favourite when traveling from NA to Asia is to take the afternoon departure which arrives in the evening. Stay up for most of the flight to enjoy the F experience while squeezing in a nap in between (2-3 hours). Arrive into your destination in the evening ready to crash into bed and up the following morning ready for a full day. Hence I would recommend taking CX831 (yes there will still be same day onward connections to BKK available on the schedule should you opt for this timing).

But since you are planning to travel on an award tix, you may have to go based on what's available to you. Which may mean you may not necessarily get your preferred timing flights.