JFK flat rate may go up $4.50 during afternoon rush

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Jul 17, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    anileze likes this.
  2. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine a time during rush hour when I would rather be on surface streets than the subway. The subway isn't exactly comfy funtime during rush either, but at least I'm not being choked by stale cigarette smoke in a 100 degree cab.

anileze likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    But it's not okay for Uber to charge surge pricing during busy periods.

traveltoomuch, anileze and viguera like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that much of the complaining about Uber surge pricing is the whimsical and variable nature of it. You simply never know. And, on my recent trip to France, we frequently got the "only 2 more minutes of surge pricing" message which turned out to be a lie.

Also, the lack of a cap on the surge pricing makes it such that the published rates (such as they are, which is not really) are much more a farce. That's bad in a few ways.

anileze likes this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think them trying to predict when surge pricing will drop to notify the customer is a bit of a fool's errand. I doubt they can ever be right enough for people not to be critical.

I don't have an issue with the lack of a cap on surge pricing as long as they accurately display the surge pricing and ask customer to acknowledge. Despite somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 Uber rides, I've actually never run into surge pricing.

As an aside, I'm in Paris now and I encountered a 15 Euro minimum for black cars. Not sure if that's the norm but it certainly would rule out Uber for me on short trips around town.

anileze and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When it was "2 minutes away" for more than 30 minutes I say they're doing something shady. On the plus side, we chose to wait out the delay at the bar atop the Hyatt and enjoyed 2-4-1 happy hour. By the time you're paying 25 euro for a drink getting the second for free almost makes it reasonable.

I am sure it depends on the locale. NYC gets it all the time and Paris had it the whole time I was there. I'e had more surge priced rides than not.

I agree that the fare disclosure is generally sufficient and reasonable, but the concept is a challenging one. The idea of a pseudo-common carrier with variable pricing makes for some difficult situations at the more macroeconomic & social levels. And those challenges become greater as the company tries to push the traditional, regulated version of such services out of business.

I used Uber POP there and got a few late-night 4 euro rides. That was nice.

anileze and Pizzaman like this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I assume they determine when they think surge pricing will expire based on the ratio of available cars to number of anticipated and actual riders. Given the patience of the average consumer, I can't imagine they can predict this with enough accuracy. You could stay in "surge" indefinitely in a busy city at the right time (or never hit it).

Given all of the available modes of transportation in a big city, I don't have issues with the social consequence of some being unable to afford surge pricing. I frequently choose train/subway options myself even though I can "afford" a black car to avoid traffic. I'm pretty okay with them charging what the market will bear, and pretty okay not paying it and finding other means when the price spikes. I got around NYC before Uber existed.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The impact in a big city is, as you note, relatively small. The impact in cities without decent mass transit is more significant. I doubt NYC will suddenly cease to have taxi service. But that's the exception to the mass transit story (especially in the USA), not the norm.

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Maybe, and I'm not trying to pick a fight. But, of the secondary cities I visit or have lived in, the most acute memory I have of taxis is the amount of time I wait for them to come. It's not a perfect sample, but I think it's large enough to say that taxis aren't currently serving the demand in an efficient manner now in a number of places.

traveltoomuch and anileze like this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    And, just like that, my first encounter with surge pricing this morning in Paris. I think Seth jinxed me.

viguera, timfrost and anileze like this.