JFK connection

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by chz2215, Aug 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is 36 minutes too close of a connection to try at JFK? It's giving me the option on delta.com so it's valid but I want to know if it's realistic as I haven't connected there before.

2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very tight. ESP if your flights are in differing terminal areas that require the bus.

I wouldn't do it unless its an award tk and your hoping for a free change to a better routing after schedule changes break your orig.

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Less than 10% of DL transfers require the bus at JFK.

Even so, this is tight. Three pieces of info are helpful to give an more definitive view:

1) Are you connecting to a flight that operates regularly (every hour or two), or is your connecting flight just a daily service?
    2) Will you have checked luggage? Is it ok if you are separated from your bags?
    3) Are you likely to get an upgrade? And, if so, will you be upset if you are re-accommodated on another flight (where presumably an upgrade may be less likely due to your late booking onto the flight)?

If you answered 1) Regularly, 2) No bags/Dont mind being separated and 3) Won't mind/no upgrade, then do it.

4. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would be way too tight for me..... Definitely hope for a sched change for free.....

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree - with air traffic control and/or weather delay possibilities, it's asking for trouble!

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd do it because they allow it, but only because I think it's not going to work and I'm looking for the alternate after I miss it. :)

It would be good to know the rest of the itinerary... inbound and outbound to JFK, just for kicks. As mentioned chances are you wouldn't have to change terminals and if you're walking out with carry-on to jump on the next plane 2 doors down then it might work, but oftentimes it takes you 36 minutes just to get off the plane. :)

7. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback. I was looking into it as a way to get some extra miles flying from PHX-MCO. I would not be checking bags.

8. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    How important is it to make it to MCO that day? If not super important and you can potentially overnight at JFK and get out the next morning then definitely go for the connection.

I'd put your odds at actually making it around 28%. Take a load off, have a drink and watch the IROPS ensue.

-RM

9. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another factor - -are you going to be on a barbie jet -- if so and you have to gate check a bag, you'll have to wait for it to "come up" before heading for the other gate....

Note that this applies for almost all connections any and every where !

DTWBOB

10. ywamer

ywamer New Member

Status Points:
    And a follow up question (since I have a similar connection at JFK coming up):

Is it possible to call up the airline to request an earlier flight? I'm flying on award travel to IST and would hate to miss my flight.

What is the best way to ask for an earlier flight, even if it was not available at time of booking for my award class (business)?