JFK airport hotel

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by travelinmike33, Apr 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming itinerary where I land in JFK at 8:30pm and fly out at 8:10am. Where would you stay overnight and why?

My preferences (in order) are:
    • Convenient. Mostly means nearby so I can get back to the airport in the morning to check in, but can be flexible.
    • Cheap. By NY standards. I'm not looking for a $20 room, but $200 for a quick overnight is not my idea of fun.
    • Not terrible. It's just me by myself and I would like to be able to get a bite to eat and sleep and that's it. A bite to eat could be a McDonald's next door.
    • Interesting extras. Is it an old house where celebrity X went mad and bought thousands of Pez dispensers? Does it offer double points for the broom closet rooms?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    marcwint55 and travelinmike33 like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't really know any that are cheap and interesting.

IMHO 5 years ago the best JFK airport hotel was the Hilton Garden Inn. Largely because it's the newest. Then the Sheraton opened. Note -- not very good, but best at JFK. Then the Hilton opened after a full gutting/renovation of the previous hotel. Unquestionably it is the best JFK airport hotel, but you will pay $200+ for it. Nothing interesting about any of those 3.

The general principles for airport hotels, IMHO, are you stay at the one attached to the airport (no such thing at JFK), then you stay at the one that's been most recently built or renovated. Airport hotels have more turnover than most, they do mostly one night stays. They wear down quickly.

There have never been good options at JFK.

Now, if you want to go farther out, a couple years ago the Holiday Inn Long Island City was actually pretty cool... new build, great views of Manhattan. But more of a hassle and cost to get ot.

mo26, marcwint55 and travelinmike33 like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

viguera, mo26 and marcwint55 like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotels at JFK suck. That is about as blunt as I can be. You actually have enough time to go somewhere else and return in the morning. It is well worth it.

viguera, mo26 and sobore like this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Hilton is actually halfway decent

mo26 likes this.
  7. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the day of the week, i've seen the Hampton Inn in the $150 range.

It used to be our crew hotel, and was actually really clean....Which is not a sure thing for JFK hotels. It's connected to the Hilton.

Regarding those other 3 options (Days Inn, etc.) I would quite honestly just sleep in the airport.

-MO

travelinmike33 likes this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are many hotels in New York that are both cheap and interesting -- it's just that "interesting" is such a fungible word. For instance, an entomologist would be endlessly fascinated.

travelinmike33 and mo26 like this.
  9. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice!

Cheap and interesting near JFK though....That's a tough one I think (not an entomologist) .... Though I do seem to attract the bugs in Queens!

:)

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an almost weekly meeting at the Doubletree nearby and it's actually not that bad -- at least the hotel itself, I haven't really stayed there.

The area overall is just depressing. :)

travelinmike33 and mo26 like this.
  11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh for sure, but I was talking about near JFK...

mo26 likes this.
  12. Sagegal

Sagegal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just stayed (July 2013) at the Fairfield Inn in Jamaica, NY less than 2 miles from JFK, used their shuttle each way, hotel had hot breakfast included with stay before my morning departure. Used my Marriott certificate from my Chase Visa branded card. The hotel was clean efficient and close and I didn't have to shell out any cash so it did the trick. There really aren't many great options but I'd stay there again if the situation warranted.

mo26 likes this.