JetBlue TrueBlue- Be Careful With Your Points

Discussion in 'JetBlue | TrueBlue' started by MLW20, Dec 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    In early November I came across some very important information regarding jetBlue's mileage program- TrueBlue.

I had a little over 25,000 TrueBlue points in my account (thanks to the jetBlue Amex card sign up bonus) that were going to expire on December 31. There isn't any dining or shopping program affiliated with JetBlue. I figured that I could just transfer a small amount of American Express Membership Rewards points to my TrueBlue account to extend the expiration date.

While chatting with my brother, I told him my plan to keep my TrueBlue account active. He told me that he had heard that transfering points would not help to extend my account's points from expiring!

I was totally surprised by this information. I checked online and called JetBlue. They had confirmed that what my brother had said was true.

The only ways to keep jetBlue points from expiring is:​
    1. Earn points by flying
    2. Use your jetBlue American Express card on eligible purchases
    Check out the rest of the post on my blog HERE

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there something particularly special about this post relative to JetBlue, or just that you didn't realize the points could expire??

3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Most programs allow an extension with Amex transfers, dining and shopping programs.
    I wrote it just as a reminder that JetBlue points only stay active with the two ways mentioned.
    Not all people know the rules to every program.

4. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally appreciate this thread.

skyvan and MLW20 like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. But I'd hope people pay attention to the rules in the programs where they have points.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Historically, the topic of expiring miles comes up on a regular basis in various program forums. Especially the "unusual" rules seem to catch many people surprise. E.g., Starwood had similar rules as B6 until recently.

But yes, it's definitely useful to know/learn the rules of the programs one values.

MLW20 likes this.
  7. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true but I know I do and am sure most have miles & points in many programs. I don't know the exact details to every program. When I saw I was within a few months of expiration, I looked into it and thought a post wouldn't hurt anyone...
    Very true! I know the rules of programs I really value. JetBlue is not really one of them. I had a small balance from one CC offer. Definitely didn't want to just lose them!

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.