JetBlue Passengers Stuck on Plane for 7 Hours (10/29/11)

Discussion in 'JetBlue | TrueBlue' started by yaychemistry, Oct 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY and Scottrick like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it going to cost B6 $20k per pax, or what was the fine for these incidents?

3. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    The original incident was for departing flights. I wonder if the regulations also apply to arriving flights or diverted flights.
    I suppose B6 was holding the passengers in the hope that they would find a window in which to take-off from BDL and then land EWR (which was the original destination). It's the same kind of thinking that got them into trouble back in 2007, though.

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last mileage run for the year (I still have real travel booked) was Friday, SEA-IAH-LGA and back. I am so glad I was able to avoid the weather. Actually one of my better MRs despite learning that LGA is my new least-favorite airport. :mad: We'll have to see if SJC takes the lead back when I visit it's new terminal in December.

sobore and yaychemistry like this.
  5. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    Surprisingly LGA is my favorite airport, but this is solely because it's the easiest airport to get to from southern CT.

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    What terminal(s) were you in? Lga has four...each a very different flavor. It's not valid to reach a conclusion on the entire field based on just one terminal.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terminal B, Concourse A. My complaint was that it was incredibly cramped with no place to go because of the security checkpoint at the entrance to the concourse. My food options were limited to a mini Au Bon Pain and an Auntie Anne's pretzel shop. Dated construction. The restroom was cramped. No room to sit. Etc. I didn't mean to generalize to the entire airport, but from what I was able to see, there wasn't much to recommend it.

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    7 hours and they couldnt find a jet bridge, stair ramp or buses? Apparently police and firemen were able to board. The pax should have made a rush for the door. C'mon Man.

9. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BDL is a small airport and may not have a jet bridge or buses. If there is bad weather they are not allowed to disembark on the ramp(it is too hazardous and people can get hurt ) (unless there is an emergency).
    I was stuck on a USAIR plane for 2 hours while they waitied for a thunderstorm to pass so that they could fuel (the planes could take off but the could not fuel them ) .

10. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    I've flown out of BDL many times. They certainly have jetbridges, buses I'm less sure of. B6 itself has regular operations into and out of BDL and has a dedicated gate. Even though a large number of flights were diverted to BDL, it shouldn't have taken 7 hours to cycle planes through their gate to deplane the passengers.

In all likelihood B6 probably kept the passengers on board in the hope there would be a break in the weather where they could get to EWR - but this is the kind of thinking that lead to the problems in 2007.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've never been there, but judging by Google Maps satellite photos and their own website they do have jet bridges.

12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would think that 7 hours is plenty of time to deplane passengers. Wonder if in hindsight they could have re filed a new flight plan and moved to BOS or another airport better suited for unexpected traffic.

13. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If all of the jetbrideges were in use , they may not be able to move the jets away from the gate due to the hazardous conditions . One needs to ask B6 and BDL what exactly happened as this is all speculation.

14. yaychemistry

Status Points:
  15. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its nice that they managed to get 200 passengers on the 150 passenger airbus . Sometimes the press should do a little research. My guess is that B6 needs to talk to the lawyers before saying anything (as well as speak to the pilot also ) .

yaychemistry likes this.
  16. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    yes, it is speculation, but Im looking at it as a 7 hour period of time where pax were not able to leave the plane. In 7 hours any jetbridge or stair ramp could have off loaded the pax within 15 minutes. my point of reference is that in 7 hours, you could have flow from NYC to most points in europe while these people were stuck in a tube on a tarmac without food or toilets. you wonder why passengers dont just revolt and pull the slide/chute and really draw attention to their situation, even at the risk of being arrested. I think authorities would be sympathetic to the plight. Just my .02.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if a gate would magically open up or stairs appear out of nowhere if a couple of passengers reported chest pain.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  18. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BDL was having power issues also so that may have made it more difficult. Bottom line is to avoid diverting into a location in which the storm is approaching (I do not know if B6 had any alternatives )

19. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was an AA flight also stuck on the tarmac for 7 hours. If I had to get diverted, I would hope its not to BDL .

20. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    Actually, I'm not so sure its BDL's fault. (Not saying its necessarily B6's fault either). But as it turns out most of the Connecticut is without power due to the snow storm.
    I didn't realize this until today as I was lucky enough to be in the 10% of the state without significant power outages.

I might suggest an edit:

" If I had to get diverted, I would hope its not to [an airport without power]" :)

All in good fun.

21. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also read that BDL was short staffed as they sent workers home before the storm. I suspect the problem is that no 1 person is in charge in this situation. Whose responsibility is it in this case. The airlines may not see the big picture. Some one should have said, that the airport is closed for departures and then try to unload the pax. Is there enough room for the pax in the terminal since road conditions were hazardous?

LETTERBOY and yaychemistry like this.
  22. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here's an article from Bloomberg re: the incident. Saying its being investigated. I suspect the airlines will be let off the hook. I think we'll see language like "beyond operational limits of airport", act of God, not the airlines or airports fault, etc. etc.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-31/u-s-reviews-jetblue-s-storm-related-strandings.html

I would love to see the per capita fine that is associated with passengers held "hostage" be some how shared with the pax. Why should the transportation agencies be the ones to profit while the passengers get broken toilets and no food.......The money gets mismanaged by the agencies anyway.

23. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The potential fine for Jet Blue is $3.4m. That would buy a lot of snow shovels and jet bridges.

Considering that the tarmac hold law was passed in response to previous Jet Blue incidents, I don't see the FAA giving them a pass on this one.

yaychemistry and viguera like this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't airports have emergency power? (aka generators)

Gargoyle likes this.
  25. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would hope so. If the emergency power generator was not working , then that is the airports responsibility. There is more then enough fault to go around. (Then again AA sent an international flight to BDL even though customs were not there and the airport cannot unload a 762). My guess is that fact the storm hit CT hard suprised everyone (including the weather forecasters).

LETTERBOY likes this.