JetBlue issues quick response to Spirit's launch of a new Boston-Chicago route

Discussion in 'JetBlue | TrueBlue' started by sobore, Jun 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://blogs.wickedlocal.com/massma...-of-a-new-boston-chicago-route/#axzz1QZC9fIS7

With all the competition at Logan Airport, this is a great time to live in Boston if you’re a frequent flyer. Just look at what happened after Spirit Airlines announced last week that it would launch a nonstop flight between Boston and Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport in August. In a matter of days, JetBlue Airways responded with a press release of its own, announcing that it would launch its fourth daily flight between Logan and O’Hare on Sept. 7.
    While we’re only talking about one extra daily flight here, it’s reassuring to watch JetBlue fend off Spirit Airlines. Spirit, as you may know, is a discount carrier that specializes in picayune fees like its $30 or $45 charges for allowing travelers to have a piece of carry-on luggage and the $5 charge Spirit just unveiled for printing out a boarding pass.
    JetBlue is the number one airline at Logan, the reigning champ based on its market share. But if JetBlue is going to stay on top for the long haul, it will need to keep a close eye on all its rivals (although it will probably have a lead on Spirit as long as it steers clear from all of those fees).
    When I asked JetBlue spokesman Mateo Lleras whether Spirit’s launch of a new Chicago flight played any role in JetBlue’s announcement today, Lleras confirmed that it was a major factor but not the only one. “The competitive landscape is definitely one of the reasons,” Lleras told me.
    The JetBlue PR team also took a subtle jab at Spirit in today’s press release, promising that “we’ll also print out the boarding pass, help you with carry-on bags and throw in a smile for no extra charge.”

Read more: JetBlue issues quick response to Spirit’s launch of a new Boston-Chicago route | Mass. Market http://blogs.wickedlocal.com/massmarkets/2011/06/27/jetblue-issues-quick-response-to-spirits-launch-of-a-new-boston-chicago-route/#ixzz1QZCbqlRC

2. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news for those in BOS who need to fly to Chicago. I smell a fare ware coming.

3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    B6 is defiantly growing BOS and Terminal C. I think by summer 2012 they will operate 250 flights/day.