Jeff denies me, his valued SM Medallion member, bag fee waiver on AS starting 1 May

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, Mar 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hola senor Jeff mi amigo.....¿dónde está la reciprocidad para el equipaje? No es bueno.... como se dice alli en Calle Virginia...es mejor en su clase. Si.

DiverDave and gregm like this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, it's an enhancement. The fee waiver was too much work for both airlines to keep track of. This way all the money they save doing that will go toward improving the best product in it's class. Like more Bud Lite in the lounges.

3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...and less sharks in the Dl water!! (Love you, RTS!)

4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    So what will happen when I am connecting between Delta metal and Alaska Metal, all booked under Delta.com?

Do Delta collect baggage fees from me on behalf of Alaska?

upload_2014-3-27_7-23-30.png

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Baggage fees are generally whatever the first carrier charges you. If you check in and take your first segment on AS, then you would pay their fees.

this applies to other situations as well like connecting to/from hawaiian airlines, for example.

6. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Yes...now's the time to acquire that BoA AS MP Visa card.... not only for the bag fee waiver but the companion fare and the ultra-juicy MP bonus... it will make you cry, if you are used to DL SM, when you see how amazingly straightforward AS MP redemption is and how luscious the actual redemptions are (CX and EK F for example, but even the AM J option is nice)

7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a heads up that the BoA AS card doesn't have a checked bag fee waiver. They have talked about adding it but I'd guess the annual fee would increase or other benefits would drop. No decisions had been made either way afaik - it was just on the card holder survey.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    What was your total spend on DL last year? What about total spend on air travel last year?

9. redtailshark

Status Points:
    On DL, $40. That wasn't for air travel, it was for an SM top-up on Ms.Shark's account for intra-HI redemption. Numerous RGN fares were all paid in 2012. On all airlines, I don't know - between 12 and 15k - and strictly on airline-branded CC > $200k. So in the new scheme of things, I am (or in DL's case, could be) quite a good customer... but in any case, I'm CAFO and so Jeff must show some minimal respect.

DiverDave likes this.
  10. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the standards of airline credit cards, it's a pretty bare bones card with an okay (25K) signup bonus.

David

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a great card with simple and easily redeemable benefits.

I'm looking at you DL companion certs!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is the published list of benefits. Most of them are pretty average except the getting 3 miles for every $1 on AS when it's usually 2 on most other cards. If the companion fare is easier to redeem than the Delta equivalent, I'll take your word on that.

No free bags and no early boarding seems a bit subpar to me.

1) 25,000 Bonus Miles upon approval* (Please allow 3 - 4 weeks for Bonus Miles to post to your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account.)
    2) Receive an annual coach Companion Fare from $118
    ¥ (USD)
    ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees from $19 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary)
    3) Earn 3 miles for every $1 spent on Alaska Airlines tickets and Vacation Packages, Cargo and Inflight purchases.
    4) Earn 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases
    5) Redeem miles for flights with a wide range of airline partners.
    6) No mileage cap

That's some serious manufactured spend! I'll have to PM you to beg for some of your secrets. :cool:

David

redtailshark likes this.
  13. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree that lack of bags and boarding are competitive weaknesses. I'd suspect it lacks free bags because that would cut into AS revenue + profit more then they could offset with a card fee increase (since that would reduce cardholders).

The AS companion fare is on a different planet then DLs offering even with AS's increase in cert cost from $50 to $99 and removal of F in years past.

It works on any coach fare class. And it works every time whether you plan ahead or do a close in purchase. No BS. No maddening searches for vapor.

And both people flying on it earn full EQM and are eligible for MVPG upgrades unlike DLs web of legalese intended to DQ people from their normal bennies.

I just saved $500 with it to Mexico this winter upgraded to F on a last minute trip. I've had similar savings year after year to Hawaii or Mexico.

Is the AS visa the best card on the market? Of course not, but it makes simple honest promises/commitments that it actually delivers on for most card holders.

redtailshark, LETTERBOY and DiverDave like this.
  14. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Manufactured spend?? What's that? All spend is good spend.... bubba-busting spenders aren't limited to the ticketing platforms :p

Maybe the BoA AS Visa card is more bare-bones than others. But consider that the AS MP miles will do things that DL redeemers of recent years can only dream of...in some cases, things they never could. Like, get into the EK First cabins, or CX First. Or even if not, allow redemption at stated and very reasonable award levels. AS MP never presents 5.5x multiplied demands for award redemptions. It never costs 635k from PHL to FCO or anything like it. In fact, I recently posted a screenshot from AS.COM showing a PHL to FCO redemption - return - in J (actually, amusingly, in DL BE/F ALL THE WAY) for 80k miles total. Yes, 80k. Return J to EU. The DL SM Amex would have to offer a 250k+ mile SM bonus to provide comparable utility.

AS is great in that it delivers what it says, transparently and honestly and as @ballardFlyer above states, without DL's complex trickery that is absolutely designed to frustrate customers and prevent them from enjoying the published benefits.

Obviously, for expert-level usage, UA MP and AV LM are the programs of first choice. But AS is great. Another plus: you'll also find that BoA has no objections to a customer owning multiple MP Visa cards.... ;)