Japanese airline pulls 'racist' commercial

Discussion in 'ANA | Mileage Club' started by sobore, Jan 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/01/21/is-this-japanese-airline-ad-really-racist/

All Nippon Airways, the largest airline in Japan, says it plans to revise a television commercial it aired featuring a Japanese actor wearing a blond wig and large nose to portray a Caucasian.

The commercial, which aired in Japan over the weekend, sparked a flood of calls to the airline by customers and foreigners living in Japan who accused the carrier of promoting racial stereotypes.

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/01/21/is-this-japanese-airline-ad-really-racist/

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the commercial:

gregm, Sammich and Newscience like this.
  3. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Gaijin power!

redtailshark likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that I have watched the video, as a blonde big-nosed white guy, what compensation am I eligible for? ;)

5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    私はタレントだそう従って外人だ.

@Simon, when I lived in Japan it became clear the entire hyperbolic dimensions of being foreign were amazing/outrageous. I did think about designing T-shirts with that phrase:

外人力!

When I get done with the cartoon LX340 and the "experienced frequent flyer of international airlines" design I'll get back to it.