Japan what should I see

Discussion in 'Asia' started by AdamAlex, Jul 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. I am planning a light tour in Japan and want to know what else should I see.

Judo
    Tokyo Disneyland
    Kendo
    Sensoji Temple
    Mori Art Museum (Mori Bijutsukan)
    Tea Cermony Oragami Classes
    Tokyo National Museum (Tokyo Kokuritsu Hakubutsukan)
    Tsukiji Fish Market

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Japan is a big country. How long are you going to be there for and do you plan to get out of Tokyo?

3. I am thinking of sticking to Tokyo and Kyoto and no more than 800 a night for a room

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, spending $800/night for a room is certainly not going to limit your options too much. My budget is usually somewhere between 5-15% of that and I do just fine.

How much you spend on a room also doesn't really affect what you see. How much time you are in the country does. How many nights will you be staying? Are you more interesting in culture, museums, history or nature?

marcwint55 and guberif like this.
  5. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    On my two trips to Japan, I didn't make it any further north than Tokyo and no further south/west than Osaka. Kyoto was way more interesting than Tokyo from a historical perspective...although Tokyo and outlying areas had the best food. I'm with WA. Before making specific suggestions, it helps to know how long you're staying for and what your interests are. Japan is great...you'll love it!

If you'll be traveling quite a bit in Japan...be sure to check out the JR Rail Pass (when I went, it needed to be purchased and delivered in the mail before the trip). Made getting around the country so much easier (although it's not accepted on all train routes...so be careful)!

marcwint55 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    marcwint55 likes this.
  7. Its a luxury trip with kaseki meals and fine dining and high culture and temples with a virtuoso agent

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Not too far from Kyoto is Nara. It is fantastic and there are bus tours that go there from Kyoto. The largest buddha statue in the world is there. There are also deer that eat from your hands. It is the only place I have ever seen wild deer eat from the hands of people. There are vendors selling food for the deer just outside of the temple.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They also do this further south at Miyajima Island near Hiroshima. They're darn aggressive about it, actually.

What I really don't understand now from the OP is why, if they're going on the trip with a travel agent, they need advice from us on what to see. Or why they keep refusing to share how long they'll be in Japan. :confused:

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. Oh woops 10 days in Sakura season

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reviving another dormant thread with an interesting new article: More Than a Meal!

Maid Café, Robot Restaurant & Ninja Restaurant

[​IMG]
    Maid Café is over there!
    [​IMG]
    Ninja Restaurant
    [​IMG]
    Robot Restaurant

jonspencer likes this.