Japan Options - halp

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Lalala, Mar 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a ticket to NRT in February for a quick trip at the end of March. I am not too sure I want to go at this point. I could try to go later in April, but I believe that things are not going to be good for a while. I called the PLT desk and was given the option to move my trip - fine. Cancel and get my fare paid back as a voucher - fine. However, my 350 dollar co pay on my Y to J upgrade was not going to be refunded. They would be happy to redeposit my miles and not charge me 150 bucks for that...I am astounded and really amazed at this.

I asked if I could keep the upgrade with the ticket and just move the location and she said sure, if I wanted to stay in Asia, including their new service to Thailand (WTF?), but if I wanted to apply it to Paris or Barcelona, I was out of luck.

I am positive I was not working with the A team on that phone call. Do I have any way not giving AA 350 bucks for my not used upgrade?

Arigato,

lala

2. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind AA is already giving change and cancellation wavier as a courtesy, the earthquake is not their fault. I too have a trip at the end of March to Tokyo, and I am planning on going, Tokyo wasn't really effected and I'm sure everything will be back to normal soon. I suggest you stick to your original plans.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  3. Plato90s
    Original Member

Plato90s Active Member

Status Points:
    Were you award when requesting the upgrade that the copay was non-refundable?

4. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think in order to keep my mother alive and kicking, I will not go at the end of March. While Tokyo was not directly affected, I'm not comfortable going at the end of the month, and neither is my 80 year old mother.

5. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had to do this co-pay thing before, I vaguely recollect this being the case. I can't quite understand the reasoning behind this fleecing. Its been so long since I have used miles for any sort of upgrade vehicle. Let's put it this way - I'll never do it again.

6. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried calling back and speaking to someone else? Seems they're following the official policy here (from AA.com):

Q: Is the co-pay refundable if I do not travel?
    A: Once the upgrade is confirmed and the miles are deducted from your account, the co-pay is collected and it is not refundable. If you choose not to travel, you may reinstate the miles; a standard reinstatement fee applies. But if you're simply changing your travel date and the upgrade can still be confirmed on the new flight, then only the ticket change fee applies, not another co-pay.

But AA appears to being somewhat liberal with regards to their official Japan earthquake policy which seems to allow only date changes. I would definitely try a few more calls to see if someone can offer you something else. Good luck!

Japan Travel Policy
    Due to the earthquake that has affected Japan, American Airlines offers customers the convenience to change their travel plans as listed below.
    If you are traveling to/from/through:On the following dates:And your ticket was issued no later than:You may begin travel as late as:Original inventory required?
    Tokyo, Japan Haneda (HND)
    Tokyo, Japan Narita (NRT)
    March 19-April 10, 2011March 13, 2011May 10, 2011Yes

March 11-18, 2011March 11, 2011March 25, 2011No

The ticket reissue charge will be waived for one ticket change.
    To change travel dates or for questions regarding refunds or destination changes, contact our Reservations personnel at 1-800-433-7300 within the United States or Canada. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, please check our Worldwide Reservations Numbers page.

7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is the classic case where you call back and talk to someone else. Or hold off canceling until the last minute, as their policy may change and perhaps become more liberal.Or maybe they'll announce that new BKK route and you can jump on that (not [​IMG])

Lalala likes this.
  8. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    spkg just out of curiosity, when is your trip booked for? My husband and I are booked to go at the end of the month as well, just booked it the day before the earthquake. Currently taking a "wait and see (til the last minute)" approach ourselves. If we do go, we'll probably head down to Osaka instead of staying in Tokyo, though. Which is actually fine by us -- we've been to Tokyo several times, but never to Osaka or Kyoto.

9. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://ukinjapan.fco.gov.uk/en/news/?view=News&id=566799182

For those of you with these upcoming HND/NRT bookings - I thought this discussion from the UK embassy to one of the more informed from SMEs regarding both Tokyo and areas south of the nuclear crisis.

10. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going the last day of March, booked a almost a month ago, I personally think the Media is simply over exaggerating the "dangers" especially with this nuclear "disaster" (there are some clear beneficiaries to having the public be fearful of nuclear power ... cough oil and natural gas cough ...) But my personal conspiracy theories aside, I have no doubt that Tokyo (one of the most vibrant and resilient city in the world) a will be anything but back to normal well before the end of the month.

Aside from my small donations, I think the best way for me to help is continue my planned trip as normal, if there was ever a time they need tourist dollars, its now!

11. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG] Although I would guess the industry that benefits most from create an air of urgency and panic is the media. How else would they get ratings?

When DFW was "icebound" for 4 days in February, I watched the news and thought it was terribly risky to drive anywhere. My husband ran to the store and said everything was normal, the roads were clear, it was just cold outside. A lot of our friends had to go into work every day and said there were no problems except for morning rush hour on the first day. Tempest in a teapot courtesy of "the news". But they got me to tune in. [​IMG]

I think you should take all of the claims of inordinate risk and danger with a healthy grain of salt. Pay attention to the basic sanitation/ transportation/ food supply issues, especially anything that would impact your mother.

gomike and TheBeerHunter like this.
  12. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lol, I guess that's the important right now, I could be the safest place to go, but if it will put my mother into a hysteric paranoia mode, I rather stay home. Fortunately for me, my mother won't know I'm going to Japan until after I've come back with pictures. Hopefully she's not a lurker on MilesPoints.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  13. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops - got you confused with the OP.

14. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Leaving Tokyo tomorrow after a couple days checking in with friends and then a couple nights at the new Capital Tokyu (site of the famous old Hilton). Trains, monorail, buses were running on time with no long lines, food in the stores, restaurants busy, some shops had abbreviated hours in certain areas and outside major lighting was dimmed. My friends were supposed to be in the rolling blackout zone but they never got hit. There was not the slightest sense of panic, did not see people fleeing Tokyo anywhere - concern for the Northeast rightly of main concern and getting the power worked out ahead of summer.

The AA flight over was 90% full in coach according to the purser (business and first had only me and a handful of others).

The AA crew for HND are spending the 32 hour layover at the InterContinental Yokohama instead of in Tokyo per the "AA concern over the current transit schedules". All very nice and eager junior crews who "used this opportunity" to get the route. Heartened to see Tokyo vibrant, as welcoming as ever and getting on business and with looking to help those displaced from the north. BTW - they still need blankets collected for the northern shelters and I arranged for our hurricane relief group to get a major shipment via my friends working with red cross.

15. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great update - how was catching the train or monorail at that late night HND arrival time - any delays/lines at immigration at that hour? Now looking for a quick MR to HMD (and the promo bonus) while most are still to scared from the route!

16. TheIceTrojan
    Original Member

TheIceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wont go to Japan until the nukes are taken care of with a high degree of validation, even still would like to know how the late night arrival at the old Tokyo International is working out for trains into central downtown?

17. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Re-reading Stuartfla's post it implies all the trains were on time and that JFK-HND flight gets in around 10:30 PM - would like it definitively from the horses mouth too!

18. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA refunded my ticket to my credit card and my copay. I am very relieved to get my refund, but sad that I am not going.

19. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great report, Stuartfla. Unfortunately, the headline "Sky Falling" sells a lot more newspapers than the headline "Sky not falling", so we get the first headline, despite the facts supporting the second headline. A lot of people have cancelled trips needlessly, IMO.

20. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Validating the call back approach. Glad it worked out for you!

21. Glad you got your refund. :cool:

I was going to suggest adding another destination end-on-end so that NRT just is a transit point.

CX J to DPS, eg. ;)

22. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was thinking of doing exactly that, but I'm on the Haneda flight, which requires overnights in both directions. I'm sad because I finally scored 6x F awards for the family at a time when we all could go. I'm sadder still at the destruction and who knows what re. radiation, that this beautiful country and people have to suffer.

I really have been holding out on the cancel, but I'm starting to have more than just a feeling that the authorities are insisting it's not "immediately" harmless just a bit too much. And "immediate" is hardly the only worry.

23. Those arrival/departure times are exactly the reason I've passed on some very attractively-priced fares to HND. I hope AA sorts that mess out; I've no desire to overnight there.

Cholula likes this.
  24. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many seem to overnight at HND in the public areas of the "Tokyo Main Street" on the third and fourth floors which I caught some pics of on March 22 - around 6AM. Must have been at least 50 people overnighting in the HND pre and post security spaces - all seemed to snag "fully flat beds"

HND Public area 6 am.jpg

Attached Files:

25. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Literally LOL.
    I'd rather visit Fukushima directly and swim in the warm water, than be near my wife, mother and mother-in-law when they see their "hotel" for the night. Talk about a perfect storm! <shudder>